• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rma'd my 7970, now they out of stock, help pick new one!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sapphire is out of stock looks like the xfx

they are set to run a 1100 stock and it failed?

The modern business model of all major corporations is to make lower quality stuff because they still make more profit by leaving the headaces and shipping charges with the consumer, and some won't even go throught the hassle and expense of RMA, like my with my XFX 750W psu today, had to take apart to oil the fan

I'm just now working with the ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5. Had it running for a couple of days and working on overclocking. There are ways to get voltage up to 1.4 and clocks higher then they can run at, so it's capable if you get a good pick. I've had it to 1.4v and 1175/1600 running Kombuster for over 30 minutes without a hitch. Can't run more then 1100/1575 running 3D Mark 11 though. Problem I see so far is vcore isn't stable at set voltage above 1.17v. It may be my power supply though, as I can see about 700 Watts going into it from my UPS. My PSU is only 650 Watt 80 Plus Certified. Also see 12v dropping to about 11.7 when GPU is at 100% load.

Currently doing a rebuild to go to full water loop on CPU and GPU. Will be upgrading to 1000 Watt Gold Certified PSU, so this may let the voltage stabilize better.

Also been told that I have to use a modified Asus TweakIT software to actually reach 1.4 vcore. Suppose to have that available shortly from hokie, so I'll for sure be trying that as well once it's all back together.

I've got a pretty good feeling about this card however, so I wouldn't be too afraid to give it a try.

-Rodger

Im partial to XFX cards. Even though the 7800 series are getting voltage locked out. But I think the 7900s are fine still. Not sure though,

Btw Sleeping Dogs is fun you "should" care about the coupon, you can put hookers in the trunk of your car! :D

Im partial to XFX cards. Even though the 7800 series are getting voltage locked out. But I think the 7900s are fine still. Not sure though,

Btw Sleeping Dogs is fun you "should" care about the coupon, you can put hookers in the trunk of your car! :D
I had to return an XFX7970 as it's voltage was locked. I'll admit, I maybe could have worked harder at unlocking it, but I wasn't feeling very good about the card. In VM mode, it was not cooperating at all, which is quite bad as I run alot of virtual machines.

I was told that the current version's BIOS was the culprit to locked overclocking. The previous version over clocked fine, voltage and all.

-Rodger

The asus clock is way less of that of the XFX and gigabyte. Any reason why you want me to get a slower card?

maxlegends>
I've got to go along with "marjamar" on this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121560

Marjamar>
You might find this page of interest! :)
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...turer=Asus&model=HD+7970&interface=&memSize=0

I scored a HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 last night on EBay, brand new $479, I should have it by the middle of next week> :) :)
how did you score is you paid more then getting it from newegg ???

And his 1.4v for 1100 is bad imo

DOM> NewEgg, along with all the rest of the on-line retailers, hasn't had the HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
in stock for almost a month now so how can you say I could have gotten it cheaper at NewEgg?
The MSRP of this card from ASUS is $459 and the other sellers on Ebay are asking $600 to $750,
so ya when I got the card for just $20 over the MSRP, i consider that a "score".
I think you may be confusing the model numbers with the one I recommended to "maxlegends"

maxlegends>The ASUS card will easily OC to the higher speeds. The ASUS's cooling system is better than 7970 cards and over all the build quality of the ASUS cards is better than the other cards.

Last edited:
yeah if it wasnt in stock at newegg at the time thats good, but im not a fan of the triple slot cooler and all cards dont oc the same imo ive had 3 ref 7970 and only one could run 1200 in bf3 and 1300 in benchmarks, so it doesnt matter what pcb/cooler it has its like to lottrey on how good your chip can oc

i would go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982

Well for the higher clock ones more then likely there running more volts

It all depends on the core there's a rang on stock volts on 7970 cards from 1.025-1.175 I had 3 ref cards and they all where different

And ocing a card is simple you can find you max stable clock and use like msi afterburner to set the clocks on start up and adjust the fan speed if make a fan speed profile

But if you still dont want to oc I would go with the cheapest/highest clocked card

they are set to run a 1100 stock and it failed?

The modern business model of all major corporations is to make lower quality stuff because they still make more profit by leaving the headaces and shipping charges with the consumer, and some won't even go throught the hassle and expense of RMA, like my with my XFX 750W psu today, had to take apart to oil the fan

Wait, why did you have to oil the fan? i'm asking because i have the same PSU and i would like the fan to make less noise, it's not overly loud but there is definitely a mechanical noise coming from it.

Hmm, i run my 7870 at 1150 @1.15 V all the time, no suicide so far. But in some games it appears that the Catalyst wont enable OC when a game is not even using half the load, probably a safety mechanism. When there is no gain from OC, there is no reason.

Last edited:
Back