• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What comes after SATA3 and mSATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

Are there any new standards being proposed (either finalized or proposed/in devlopment) for new connector types? We have PCI-e SSD's which has a ton of head room. That's really all I know of.

Just trying to get an idea of what we can look forward to in the coming years. Anyone have any insight?

I think he means the actual connections themselves (i.e. SATA, PCIe). I don't see anything about SATA4. mSATA is just a SATA connection and power in a small connector.

mSATA, SATA for solid-state drives in mobile computing devices, a PCI Express Mini Card-like connector which is electrically SATA

Ya, I am talking connectors themselves.

@Txus: That seems to be PCIe 1x speeds but still, that's a big improvement.

I remember seeing some new connector types from Intel I believe a month or two ago but I cannot seem to find any information on them. I believe they were mostly enterprise level solutions but that stuff eventually trickles down in some form. The option is usually at least there.

I was just comparing speeds of Sata3 vs PCIe 3.0 16x and the results are nuts. Sata3 = 6Gb/sec and PCIe 3.0 x16 = 768 Gb/sec. Kind of cool to think about a SSD with that much speed! Not sure what I would do with it aside from benchmarking but it's really cool to think of the possibilities.

Back