• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System freezes with Q-Code 02 on ASUS P9X79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coras

Registered
Hey guys,

I put together two new systems, both having the following specs each:

CHASSIS: CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0 Version)
CPU: Intel Core i7 39030K (3.2 Ghz Base and 3.8 Ghz Turbo)
COOLER: Corsair H100
RAM: 4 x 4gb 1600 MHz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (i.e. 16 gb).
GRAPHICS: ZOTAC GTX 680.
MOBO: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
BIOS: 3009
SSD: Corsair 120 GB Force 3 (Connected to Intel 6.0 Gbps port)
HDD: Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM 6.0 Gbps (Connected to Intel 6.0 Gbps port)
LG: DVD RW/Multi-Drive(Connected to Intel 3.0 Gbps port).
PSU: Corsair AX 850
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate with all current Windows Update.

One system is Balise-PC and the other is Fae-PC.

I dont plan to do any serious overclocking at all, so before touching anything I wanted to run the system through Prime95 and LinX. Balise-PC has been freezing even at stock with the Q-Code showing "02" I tried putting it through X.M.P Profile to get 1600 MHz specified on RAM and its still the same. I can't seem to find any results online regarding freezes related to the 02 Q-Code. I have tried exchanging RAM, and HDDs between the two systems but Balise-PC still freezes with the Q-Code showing 02.

Do any of you have any ideas? I've been at it for three days now *sigh*

Last edited:
The 0x02 – AP initialization before microcode loading Q-Code is normally power related, for example related to the PSU, 4 / 8-pin AUX12V connector, faulty board, etc. Make sure that besides the 24-pin ATX connector, you also have power going to the 8-pin AUX12V connector, and that both are seated securely. You might also want to boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive or CD/DVD, or run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility in Win7, and check the RAM for stability at DDR3-1600.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 5,256
Last edited:
The 0x02 – AP initialization before microcode loading Q-Code is normally power related, for example related to the PSU, 4 / 8-pin AUX12V connector, faulty board, etc. Make sure that besides the 24-pin ATX connector, you also have power going to the 8-pin AUX12V connector, and that both are seated securely. You might also want to boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive or CD/DVD, or run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility in Win7, and check the RAM for stability at DDR3-1600.

I had memtest'ed all eight memory sticks for 3 passes after exchanging them between the two systems and there were no errors. So that really does rule-out the memory I guess!

As per your suggestion, I went ahead to check if the 8-pin AUX (4x2 from my PSU) was connected properly and upon a push on one of the 4 pin it felt like slightly sliding in and locking! I'll just disconnect them and reconnect them more firmly and test again~

Tested it out, the 8-pin aux and 24-pin atx are now seated properly. It still freezes with the same q-code. >.<'

I can't get hold of a multimeter at this time, so I'll just try swapping the power supply between the systems.

Very very odd, I swapped the PSU between the both systems and linx went through 20/20 stable. Somehow one PSU works well with one board while the other PSU seems to like the other board better. I got 20/20 on 5 gb as well as 10 gb linx tests... so I'm just gonna forget about running prime and just enjoy the minor victory after all these days. Thanks guys!

Back