• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for CPU Cooling suggestion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dynamiklol

I currently have:

• Asus Sabertooth X58
  • Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66
  • 6 Gb Corsair DDR3 1600 Mhz
  • AMD Radeon HD6870
  • Case - NZXT Phantom Full Tower

What I'm wondering is what would be the best cooler for my CPU given the case that I have?

Budget? You could go full custom liquid in the Phantom with minimal modding, 120x3 up top and a 120x2 on the bottom.

Well a full tower would allow for pretty much anything. I'd go with a high-end fan cooler, or an entry level water loop. You just have to make sure what your socket is (LGA1366 for 1st gen... I think) so that the screw pattern matches it.

But if you don't overclock I would say that any entry level decent fan cooler will do the trick.

Until I branch into overclocking and peeking into a full liquid cooling system, I'll set my budget for this at anything under....$100. Doesn't really narrow things down but at least it's a start. In the end, the cheapest but most highly efficient is the dream pre-liquid cooled.

I'll also throw in a question. Kid I know has the same motherboard but said he managed to either strip the screws in his heatsink, or when he took it off the cpu, he basically grinded out the pin holes and now he can't get it re-seated. The screws just move in and out of the holes freely without any way of gaining tension to stick. What would be the course of action to take at that point?

I would definitely suggest the Corsair H80 or H100, then. Both have awesome cooling capability and both are sub $100. Also very easy to install and set up! :thup:

I'll also throw in a question. Kid I know has the same motherboard but said he managed to either strip the screws in his heatsink, or when he took it off the cpu, he basically grinded out the pin holes and now he can't get it re-seated. The screws just move in and out of the holes freely without any way of gaining tension to stick. What would be the course of action to take at that point?

What heaysink does he have? If stock the holes in the mobo don't have screws, they have just holes where the plastic pin locks in. If aftermarket, 100% of the good ones use a backplate with screws etc.

So without specific info I don't know how to reply to your question.

Back