• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Rosewill Challenger - Intake/Exhaust help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daasgoot

Registered
Hello All,

I am looking for some advice on how to set up my top(back panel) fan and top fan for best cooling.

For CPU cooling i am using an Antec Kuhler 620. The radiator will be mounted to the top(back panel) fan.

Here is a picture of the setup. Green blocks are Fans - Grey blocks are hardware.

which fan should i set up as intake? and which fan should i set up as exhaust?

challengera.jpg

Thanks,

Daas

Got romm for another 120 up front and one on top? Then your golden.

Good fans that make a case quiet n cool is a critical complex thing. Like reading real reviews, not Newegg LOL reviews.

You didn't posts any parts specs so no idea if you have a massive OC rig with crazy overclocks. Then your fannage is sorely lacking.

If a basic rig, go with what the case has and upgrade as you need to. Looks okay for now. Another 120mm QUALITY fan in front would be nice if the case has the ability.

Got romm for another 120 up front and one on top? Then your golden.

Good fans that make a case quiet n cool is a critical complex thing. Like reading real reviews, not Newegg LOL reviews.

You didn't posts any parts specs so no idea if you have a massive OC rig with crazy overclocks. Then your fannage is sorely lacking.

If a basic rig, go with what the case has and upgrade as you need to. Looks okay for now. Another 120mm QUALITY fan in front would be nice if the case has the ability.

AMD FX-6300 (plan to OC it as much as temps will let me)
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 WC kit
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GeForce GTS 250
Raidmax 530W PSU
2x 350GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
G.Skill ripjaws X 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1866

Here is a link to the Case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

I don't think i can fit another fan on the front, i can put one on the side panel though.

I am also limited by this Mobo, it only has 3x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin)

Since I am using a water cooling kit, would it make more sense to set up a push/pull on the radiator rather than an extra fan on the side panel?

I'd get rid of that PSU ASAP. Raidmax has a reputation for some terrible PSUs.

Fans can also plug straight into the PSU.

The fans you have is fine, crazy amounts of airflow isn't a necessity. Push/pull on the rad might lower your CPU temps by 2-3 degrees.

Why the small HDs instead of a 1 GB 7200 RPM?

GTS 250? Plan to play games? Really old GPU.

But good enuff for normal use. Might look at an Intel CPU with the 4000 graphics chip and not buy a GPU at all.

You don't need WC really, the overclock on that CPU will give little benefit really.

You don't need WC, it aint magic, and the one you chose is't magic at all.

A good air heatsink, and nothing special is perfectly fine.

Your stock case cooling will be fine, your building a low end PC, not a heat issue.

Why the small HDs instead of a 1 GB 7200 RPM?

GTS 250? Plan to play games? Really old GPU.

But good enuff for normal use. Might look at an Intel CPU with the 4000 graphics chip and not buy a GPU at all.

You don't need WC really, the overclock on that CPU will give little benefit really.

You don't need WC, it aint magic, and the one you chose is't magic at all.

A good air heatsink, and nothing special is perfectly fine.

Your stock case cooling will be fine, your building a low end PC, not a heat issue.

This is an extremely budget build.

So far this CPU has performed quite well for the price. I got it for $130. overclocked it to 4.1Ghz with stock heatsink. Ran P95 for 45 minutes, hottest temp was 64C

the HDD's are from my old compuer... Obviously would like to get a SSD when i have the money for one.

I got the GTS 250 from a friend for $15 .. i know its not great but its better than what i had. I overlocked it from 750 - 810 CC, runs the games I play smoothly.

I got the WC because it was inexpensive and performs slightly better than the 212 EVO. I prefer the WC over a large heatsink and fan mounted to my mobo. Plus it looks cooler.

I plan to upgrade the GPU asap.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

I will plan on keeping both top fans as exhaust, and add a side fan

I'd get rid of that PSU ASAP. Raidmax has a reputation for some terrible PSUs.

Fans can also plug straight into the PSU.

The fans you have is fine, crazy amounts of airflow isn't a necessity. Push/pull on the rad might lower your CPU temps by 2-3 degrees.

Really? i have heard good things about this PSU(for the price).

it is very quiet, seems to power everything well. No complaints yet.

Semi-modular is nice for cable management.

For $38 (on amazon) it is what i expected it to be.

Of course if i had a larger budget i would have bought something much nicer.

Ohhh, your using old stuff from older builds, thought it was a full buy. You didn't. Now you fill in the blanks.

Loks okay I think. PSU, maybe you should visit our PSU forum or a few good PSU review sites that are listed in the PSU forum.

If you can show me a legitimate review with a proper load tester and an oscilloscope hooked up to show us the ripple, then I'll accept it as a good PSU. You can't tell if a PSU is powering something "well" without some expensive equipment. The voltage on the line has a certain amount of microscopic ripple that can harm components in the long term. And you won't know anything until the damage builds up over time.

Also, it might only be fine since you're drawing well under it's rated wattage. If you actually tried to draw 530W from that, I'd take my chances that it'd just melt and die. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a PSU that lies on it's sticker as to what it can actually put out.

The ONLY decent PSUs I've seen in that price range are the Corsair CX430 and the Antec VP-450.

If you can show me a legitimate review with a proper load tester and an oscilloscope hooked up to show us the ripple, then I'll accept it as a good PSU. You can't tell if a PSU is powering something "well" without some expensive equipment. The voltage on the line has a certain amount of microscopic ripple that can harm components in the long term. And you won't know anything until the damage builds up over time.

Also, it might only be fine since you're drawing well under it's rated wattage. If you actually tried to draw 530W from that, I'd take my chances that it'd just melt and die. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a PSU that lies on it's sticker as to what it can actually put out.

The ONLY decent PSUs I've seen in that price range are the Corsair CX430 and the Antec VP-450.

If it runs my computer I'm OK with it.

If it is damaging my computer i should look at getting something else.

I don't know how to run all the tests you are talking about so i guess i will either have to buy something better or take my chances :)

Again, it's a lot of expensive equipment. Only websites/reviewers I've seen that have it are:
Jonnyguru.com
Hardwaresecrests.com
hardocp.com
overclockers.com

The thing with a PSU that if it blows, it won't kill itself, it could very well possibly kill everything connected to it. That's why you NEVER skimp on a PSU. I would personally never buy a PSU that I couldn't find a review on from one of those websites.

I have the top 2 fans as intake and let the PSU, and GPU fans run exhaust until I get my side fan. But I tested alot of Configurations and this gave me the best temps.

I have the top 2 fans as intake and let the PSU, and GPU fans run exhaust until I get my side fan. But I tested alot of Configurations and this gave me the best temps.

Interesting... Thanks for the comment.

How do you have your front fan set up.

I also have a side fan installed in my case.

My side and front are intake.

Top, back, GPU , PSU are all exhaust.

I have the front fan as intake but you know that it doesn't move much air. The side panel, psu and gpu are plenty of exhaust for my setup. I have no trouble over clocking to 4.7ghz with my 3570k.

Back