• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to E4600 from E4300, issues with OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackJack10

Hey guys, happy whatever-holiday-is-nearest. :p

I picked up an E4600 for $20 after building my little sis a computer with my E4300. Problem is, the E4600 is under preforming extremely compared to my E4300, when it was installed. Rig is in the sig.

When I had my E4300 installed, it ran at an FSB of 333Mhz, no voltage increases, and it ran circles around Prime95's burn tests.
I've been able to get my E4600 to run on an FSB of 250Mhz, with the standard voltages. I can't run any tests on Prime95, because it crashes the computer almost instantly.

I'm mainly interested as to why my E4600 is preforming so terribly compared to my E4300. I haven't messed with any voltages yet, because I'm more interested right now as to why the E4600 is preforming poorly with the same settings as before. I have gotten a few BSOD 124's while messing with the FSB. Also, I'm not entirely sure that messing with voltages would help, because I may have gotten a bad chip.

Here are the numbers I've gotten so far:

Old CPU (E4300): 333Mhz FSB, Multiplier of 9, 2997Mhz Clock, did a burn test for 36 hours.
New CPU (E4600): 254Mhz FSB, Multiplier of 12, 3048Mhz Clock, cannot run a burn test for more than 2 minutes.
VCore is 1.296 for both, RAM ratio is at 1:1.50, because at an FSB of 333Mhz, it speeds messes up the RAM.

Your thoughts, suggestions, anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Every cpu is different, even in it's own class. Just bump up the volts, make sure the heatsink is installed properly with good TIM and your ready to work with it.

+1 above. Watch temp carefully.

Your E4600 may need more Vcore to run this same ( not the same ) total speed. Your E4300 ran 2997mhz with 1.296vcore and the E4600 seems to crap out at 1.296v for 3048mhz. Try a little higher Vcore. These CPU are rated for 1.5vcore MAX from Intel.

Also make sure that you ram speed and timing are correct. Changing the FSB also change your memory speed so make sure its manualed to the ram spec or you last know good ram speed/timing/volts.

Not all chip need the same Yvcore for Xspeed. Even with 100 E4600 chip, you could find 100 different needed vcore.

If you run the E4600 with the same parameters as the E4300 (base freq 333, multiplier 9 ), what happens?

If you run the E4600 with the same parameters as the E4300 (base freq 333, multiplier 9 ), what happens?

The whole system hangs, Mobo and Power light stay on, all fans spinning at max, won't do anything, including POST.

+1 above. Watch temp carefully.

Your E4600 may need more Vcore to run this same ( not the same ) total speed. Your E4300 ran 2997mhz with 1.296vcore and the E4600 seems to crap out at 1.296v for 3048mhz. Try a little higher Vcore. These CPU are rated for 1.5vcore MAX from Intel.

Also make sure that you ram speed and timing are correct. Changing the FSB also change your memory speed so make sure its manualed to the ram spec or you last know good ram speed/timing/volts.

Not all chip need the same Yvcore for Xspeed. Even with 100 E4600 chip, you could find 100 different needed vcore.

Temps are good, my Hyper 101 is very good at cooling. :3
I tried bumping up the Vcore, only when I had bumped it up about .05 did things start to improve at all. I still couldn't pass a burn test, all I was able to do was bump the speed up about 80Mhz.
Timings are correct, when I first started overclocking I was told to watch them, I know how fast my RAM can go and how much voltage it needs, they're where they need to be.
Like I said, I may have just gotten a bad chip, sadly.
Also, while I was playing around with the FSB, I got a 7F BSOD, is that overly bad or just another warning aimed at the voltages/FSB?

Last edited:
Sadly not all chips are the same even from the same wafer..me and a buddy of mine bought the same model and s-spec cpu's PIII 450. Mine would only do 504mhz, while his would do 600+mhz..they were the same batch, same s-spec down to the date and place of manufacture...one was a dud and the other was astronomical in performance.
You obviously got a dud, and you should sell it if you can, and find another if possible.
Still kinda cool to get a C2D for 2 saw bucks.

Managed to get it stable at around 3.05Ghz, doing a burn run on Prime95 right now. It sure beats getting my sister a new CPU altogether. Maybe once I get a better overclocker than my current motherboard, then I may be able to push it higher. It's always nice to have that extra headroom!

Back