• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build need a heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dunno, you are forking out the money on all that gear. Coolers have a great effect on the fun you get out of the system, they make them run cool and happy and silent.

You are getting a 3770k with hyper threading. It will not create a lot of heat into the case like the previous gen, but it will kinda burn in itself. Large heatsinks like silver arrow are useful with ivy bridges because they help heat pass through the die tim barrier.

Besides silver arrow is nowhere near extreme overclocking, its just convenient.
Hope this helps:)

dont mean to nitpick mate, but larger coolers do not help any more to get the heat out of the die, that will be limited by the cheap TIM intel are using. The cooler can only dissipate what heat is transferred to the IHS. If the heat is having issues transferring from the die to the ISH a bigger Heatsync will not help with that transfer it will only help what is transferred to the ISH.

Now thats not to say better coolers wont keep your cpu cooler, of course they will, but with the IB CPU's they will not benefit from the use of a HUGE air cooler, as say the SB CPU's, rather the purchase of really expensive air coolers will be a lot less cost effective. The only way to remedy the issue of heat transfer between the DIE and IHS is to slice the CPU open and replace the crappy TIM with some Colab liquid pro or similar.

:attn:

Last edited:
dont mean to nitpick mate, but larger coolers do not help any more to get the heat out of the die, that will be limited by the cheap TIM intel are using. The cooler can only dissipate what heat is transferred to the IHS. If the heat is having issues transferring from the die to the ISH a bigger Heatsync will not help with that transfer it will only help what is transferred to the ISH.

Now thats not to say better coolers wont keep your cpu cooler, of course they will, but with the IB CPU's will not benefit from the use of a HUGE air cooler, as say the SB CPU's, rather the purchase of really expensive air coolers will be a lot less cost effective. The only way to remedy the issue of heat transfer between the DIE and IHS is to slice the CPU open and replace the crappy TIM with some Colab liquid pro or similar.

:attn:

Perhaps that would explain the bad temps I had with mine before de-lidding, but mine is already a bad chip. I still think silver arrow helped with creating a larger surface with a little more heat capacity to help pulling the heat out of rather than making the heat dissipate. Ivy's dissipation is bad, and every little bit helps in my opinion.

Perhaps that would explain the bad temps I had with mine before de-lidding, but mine is already a bad chip. I still think silver arrow helped with creating a larger surface with a little more heat capacity to help pulling the heat out of rather than making the heat dissipate. Ivy's dissipation is bad, and every little bit helps in my opinion.

almost 100% that would be the reason for the bad temps. Delidding and adding a decent Tim like MX4 or col liquid ( which would be the best) would help those probs. But delidding a £200 processor is always a bit sketchy. All i meant was that say a silver arrow over say a true spirit will yield a better drop and temps on a SB than an IB and would be more cost effective.

IB is terrible at dissipating the heat from DIE to the IHS. the only reason i didnt get one. Having a SB 2700k @ 5ghz and then getting a IB that can only hit 4.8ghz because of the thermal limit seems illogical as i would get near identical performance. :bang head

thread hijack over now :thup:

almost 100% that would be the reason for the bad temps. Delidding and adding a decent Tim like MX4 or col liquid ( which would be the best) would help those probs. But delidding a £200 processor is always a bit sketchy. All i meant was that say a silver arrow over say a true spirit will yield a better drop and temps on a SB than an IB and would be more cost effective.

IB is terrible at dissipating the heat from DIE to the IHS. the only reason i didnt get one. Having a SB 2700k @ 5ghz and then getting a IB that can only hit 4.8ghz because of the thermal limit seems illogical as i would get near identical performance. :bang head

thread hijack over now :thup:

Well, there is a safe way in de-lidding the cpu, but it hurts oyur hands like hell. I broke open a shaving razor. No other knife would fit under mine. It took me a full 50 minutes de-lidding, but I can say it was plenty fun. The thing is, the razor was so thin and small that i couldnt push it in as far as it would reach the die.

And yeah, there is no point upgrading from sandy to ivy anyway:D

Ok built it at 2am this morning couldn't sleep.

Now I did an interesting thing. I didn't do a clean install of Win 8. I just booted to my existing win 8 install with my asrock z68 board drivers. Everything is working great. No issues no crashes no instability. Saved me hours of installing.

This machine smokes compared to my i3. I am idle at 31c and prime95 for 30 mins doesn't get over 54c. I also ran a transcoding test with 100% cpu and the temps were the same. Now 6 files from wmv to xvid and then joined would have taken 5 hrs to do on the i3 it would have been like 10hrs or so.

This cpu rocks. Now to go reading some and learn to OC it.

I will not be posting pics as I am not the neatest builder. I may at a later date decide to clean it up some and see about a neater build.

So this system will do what I need it to do for me in the time frame that I want it to.

Yes I make sure of that airflow is not impacted by the wiring its just not all neat and tidy like some anal person would like lol

Back