• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build need a heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sparker3669

Registered
Ok Tax season is upon us and I am getting a very nice refund. I am going to buy some new toys.

1. MotherBoard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 or Extreme 6
  2. CPU: i7 3770k
  3. Ram: Gskill Snipers ddr3 1600 2x8gb
  4. Heatsink: from this LIST

The main use for the rig will be for video encoding editing and joining. I may also do some lite gaming

This will all be housed in a Corsair 400r. I will be powering this with a Seasonic X650 Gold psu. I also have 4 Corsair AF120 Performance Edition fans going in that case. The fans are already purchased. I also have a Sapphire 6950 2gb card.

I am not a gamer much any more. I may start playing some games again

Why I am posting here is to get a recommendations on a heatsink for that cpu/motherboard combo. I currently have a Corsair A50 heatsink and really don't think I want to reuse it on this build.

Now that list what I have garnered from talking with friends and reading on the net. The Coolermaster 212 EVO seems to be the go to heatsink these days. Now for some reason that just doesn't float my boat.

I thank you all for taking a look at this post and assisting me with my choices.

Last edited:
From that list, I'd go Xigmatek Gaia any day of the week. Just hold on though, it's on sale for $19.99 on Newegg 99% of the time. This is one of the few periods it's been full-price in over a year. I personally think it's nearly as good as you're going to get with air cooling. The Dark Knight is supposed to be around ~2c cooler according to their own tests, but that seems like a small difference to spend 3x as much money for.

I've been using the Gaia to cool both my FX8350 and X4 965. The FX has a pair of Rosewill RFX-120 fans mounted in a push/pull config, while the 965 uses the stock fans in a push/pull. The FX is a monster to cool (just search around and you'll be amazed) but it's currently OC'ed to 4.3ghz and folding continuously at <55c. The 965 is never able to get much past 50c even overclocked to 4.5ghz. VERY good cooler. :thup:

Cause that is what I have narrowed down my choices too based on my reading and some recommendations from others.

Hence why I am in here looking for other opinions. We all have to start somewhere and I started with that list. Is that list a be all end all no its not its a starting point.

It really depends on what you're looking to overclock to.

On the 212+/212 Evo/similar heatsinks, most people usually get up to about 4.2GHz or so. The TRUE Spirit I posted is the best deal for mid-high range heatsinks, which should net you around 4.5GHz.

Now, many IVB CPUs see large diminishing returns after 4.5GHz. However, it's always possible that you could get a chip that is an exceptionally good overclocker. To take advantage of this and hit above 4.5GHz, you would want to start looking at high end air, such as the NH-D14, Phantek cooler that you listed, Thermalright Silver Arrow and AIO liquid coolers such as the NZXT Kraken, Corsair H80i/H100i, and the soon to be released Swiftech coolers.

As I stated I haven't overclocked in a good while and when I did I was a complete novice.

I have no idea where I want to go with the overlcock. I will have to explore that when I get the parts.

I do know I want to get a heat sink that will last me a long time and will allow to explore alot of things in the overclocking realm.

I can't put my finger on it but the Coolermaster 212+ or 212 Evo just don't do it for me. I know they are very good coolers but there is just something about them that doesn't float my boat. This may not be a viable reason for not wanting them but its the way I feel.

AIO water is not an option at all. I had an h50 leak and take out my video card. I know that leaks are rare but still don't want to get another one of those.

Thanks for the insight so far.

Well after doing some research today. I have narrowed it down to the Coolermaster TPC 812 and 2 fans or the Phanteks TCD 12x. The Coolermaster will require me to purchase another fan to get push pull. I can purchase one directly from Coolermaster store. The heatsink does come with 2 brackets for fans but am not sure what fans would work with them other then the ones made for that heatsink. I want 2 matched fans so I can either buy one from Coolermaster or get 2 other matched fans.

i would say heed Knufire's advice, you really have to decide on what overclocking you are going to do, there is a limit to what air coolers can do on the IB CPU's and spending the extra on a more expensive cooler is not always the way to go as it will not yield as much headroom when overclocking as you might think. ( unless intel have started using fluxless solder on their CPU's again? which i doubt. )

I would suggest the silver arrow for that price range. Will probs outperform the CM and phanteks for a similar price.

edit say you post about OC'ing. it would be best to research it, see the limits on the IB CPU's and decide how high you want to go. There is plenty to read on the subject.

I can't justify spending that kind of money for the Silver Arrow knowing that I am not an extreme overclocker. The 59.99 range is where I want to stay.

Doing some research the TPC 812 is going to end up costing about 20 bucks more then the Phanteks for a minimal gain. I'd need another fan and a y cable to make it work. The motherboard has a 4pin cpu fan and 3pin cpu fan connectors. I could only vary one fan with that setup. A y connector would allow me to vary both. So I have decided on the Phanteks as it seems to be the best one for my usage and will allow me to achieve the OC I am looking for which is going to be about 4.5-4.8 which doesn't seem that hard based on googling things

So my funds came in today so I will buy today and have my new stuff tomorrow latest Friday

Last edited:
Dunno, you are forking out the money on all that gear. Coolers have a great effect on the fun you get out of the system, they make them run cool and happy and silent.

You are getting a 3770k with hyper threading. It will not create a lot of heat into the case like the previous gen, but it will kinda burn in itself. Large heatsinks like silver arrow are useful with ivy bridges because they help heat pass through the die tim barrier.

Besides silver arrow is nowhere near extreme overclocking, its just convenient.
Hope this helps:)

All this is just HOT AIR why because it all depends a lot on the general air flow in the OP's case! But as far as the Phanteks yes its good cooler, but double check first it fits your PC Case!! AJ. ;) :thup:

The word is measure twice buy once! :shrug:

The Corsair 400r is a very large mid tower case. There should be no issues with it fitting.

I will have 2 120mm on top 2 120mm on the side and the front 120mm and the rear 120mm the top will be going out the side coming in as the rear going out and front in

I am going to get the Phanteks PH-TC12DX as the TPC 812 is just more then I want to spend.

Based on this post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=100610 my case should have enough room. The cooler dimensions are 126 x 57 x 157mm (without fans)
126 x 107 x 157mm (with dual fans)

Last edited:
Sounds about right, yes the optimum way is! :) ;)

Front, Fresh cool air in.
Top, Pushing Hot air out.
IO, Same as above.
Side Door, Blowing cool air in onto cards.

As for the Phanteks you can line that up with the fan next to the IO Shield. :thup:

I use a Hyper 212 EVO, coupled with two Gentle Typhoon AP-30 fans for push and pull.

sounds like a jet, works like a charm. 4.7ghz, 18 (eighteen!) degrees centigrade idle, 45-52 under stress testing. Won't break 40 in most games. I suspect it's this high due to my handiwork with thermal paste...

But even so, stock, an EVO will only set you back 35-40$.

Unless your room temperature is extremely low (I'm talking about 60F max), that can't be your idle temp. Your CPU can't run cooler than the temperature in your room.

Well I ordered my stuff today extreme 4 i7 3770k 16gbs sniper and hold it hold it Coolermaster TPC 812. 59.99 with a 20 MIR. I should have my new toys no later then Friday.

We will look forward to the photo's as soon as you complete the build good luck.

Back