• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooler for the Xigmatek Elysium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SIppyCupXIII

Hello all,

I wanted to post here real quick to get some feedback for choosing a new CPU cooler for my system. Right now I have the Cooler Master GeminII S which has worked pretty good for me in the past but it isn't cutting it. For gaming it keeps my CPU at a good temp ~70c or under at a 4.0ghz OC (i7 950) but I have started doing more video converting and encoding as of late. While doing this I got a couple of BSOD so I decided to check the temps. While Converting video with Cyberlink Media Expresso and encoding with Pinnacle Studio 16 my CPU is hitting ~90c which is causing the BSOD. From this I am looking to get a better performing cooler.

I have the Xigmatek Elysium case and am very happy with it. I was first looking to get the Xigmatek Dark Knight II air cooler off of Newegg for $35 as it has great reviews and it comes with the same fan that I have throughout my case. I however checked right before ordering (good thing I did) because the cooler stands at 158mm tall. The specs of my case state that it can only fit a 155mm tall cooler with the mounted side fan in. I really don't want to loose the fan as I know it does help with the cooling a decent amount. The cooling of my case is as follows:

x3 120mm front intake fans
x1 120mm bottom intake fan (going to be replacing with 140mm version)
x1 200mm side intake fan
x1 140mm back exhaust fan
x3 120mm top exhaust fans (going to be replacing with 140mm version)

Some would probably argue that I don't need the side fan and that may be but it really sets the case off and I really like the aesthetics and the lighting of having it in. This has turned me to possibly going with either the Corsair H60 (new 2013 edition) and H80i, Thermaltake CLW0215, or Antec H2O 620 and H2O 920. I have no experience with these closed looped systems and the reviews seem to be good and bad for them.

So my questions are does anyone know if the Dark Knight II will in fact fit in the Elysium case with it only being 3mm taller than what it states in compatible? If not what are peoples experiences with these water cooler systems and which would you reccomend? Lastly just looking at this air cooler vs the water systems for performance? Regardless of the setup I will be using a push/pull setup using the same Xigmatek fans I have in the case now (65cfm).

I would really appreciate your guys feedback you can give. I called Xigmatek and they said it "should fit" but that doesn't exactly make me confident about the purchase. I would rather just not pay return shipping if it just won't fit. Thank you all for your time!

SippyCupXIII

Last edited:
Go with a LCLC and forget about big heatsinks if you don't want to remove that (useless performance-wise IMHO) window fan. I'd recommend a 240mm or one of NZXT Krakens if your case supports 140mm fans, and I'd put it on top.

Back