• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajburnet

Registered
Hi all - just need some expert advice please!

I have my i7 920 over clocked to 3.78GHZ and have had it that way for a few years now! Today is particularly hot at 32c in the room (with my ac off as it's useless in the high thirties unfortunately).

The idle temperature is around 71c in these conditions (it reports ambient as 44c which is presumably the ambient temp in the case?). I can't remember what I achieved when I overclocked and tested it with Prime95 but I recall no errors in the 24 hr burn test and the temps were considered 'safe'.

Anyway, assuming it's around 10c hotter than it normally would be when its a little cooler and the ac can cope is this normal - it seems a little on the hot side to me!?

I am using a Corsair H50 which while a few years old now surely should be achieving a little better?

I mention this as I got a random kernel panic which I don't get often!

Interested in you're thoughts.

Thanks.

Alex.

Try disabling any "smart fan" settings. If that doesn't help, time for some nice Delta fans.

Presumably smart fan settings in the BIOS? By delta fans - I assume you mean for the case? If so - I already have two - one as an exhaust upwards and a pull at the front in addition to a push and pull setup on the corsair and the PSU fan of course.

Maybe you need higher end Delta fans. The one I have costs about $30 and it's well worth it.

Worth re-seating the corsair with some better paste too? Or leave with the stock Corsair H50 paste?

If room temperature is 32c and his case temps are 44c and he already has a Delta fan, buying another Delta fan isn't going to fix the problem.

Ajburnet, if you take the side panel off your case, do your ambients drop? Your idle temperatures are too high, even with those high of case temps. It sounds like your waterblock might not be seated correctly. Make sure it is bolted all the way down and you have proper thermal paste spread.

Hmm, just took the side panel off, ambient went up to 51! Weird! Perhaps flow is interrupted hence hotter?? Suspect the seating of the water block is not right - corsair came with paste pre-applied so assume that should be fine. If tightening it doesn't help I might try and apply some new paste.

GPU has an aftermarket cooler and fan setup to - ambient seems to be the same as the GPU temp...

Ambient temperature should not be that high with the panel off. Do you have pictures on how your system is setup?

Difficult to take pictures as it's powered on and can't turn it off yet, but a few attached.

Thanks - appreciate the help!

The first picture shows a fan at the top which exhausts air out. The other fans in the picture are a push pull setup for the corsair (the water pump is working, at least the lines are hot which I take it means its working!). Second one shows the front delta fan (which I may be able to dial the speed up on a little also).

Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 60
The lines on the cooler shouldn't be hot. Warm is fine, hot means the radiator isn't dissipating heat properly. Verify that the fans on the radiator are pointing in the same direction (to help, you should not see the motor support on the second radiator fan from the back). Your fan setup is a bit odd. I'd suggest pushing air out the case through the radiator, instead of in and directly out the top. This might be why your motherboard is reporting high ambient temperatures.

Your system is also pretty dirty, which is contributing to the high temperatures.

Good ideas - I set the push pull setup as per Corsair's guide, thinking pulling cold air over the radiator would be more efficient than pulling already hot air over the radiator but.

Clean definitely in order, sitting in the corner for a while!

Thanks - will re-arrange things and see if that helps!

Alex.

Gave it a good clean - way too much dust in the radiator and tightened the water block - cpu temp at idle now 52 so will be just in the forties when the house is at a more normal temperature - assume this is about right given the over clock?

Ambient is still 50 - I have turned the delta fan upto full also. I also checked the corsair install manual which specifically states it should be setup with an intake over the radiator for best performance. Essentially I have two intakes and then an exhaust at the top (with the heat rising).

I reckon the ambient sensor might be close to the GPU - its a hot one (old HD 4800 for my Hackintosh) - wonder if that could be the case and exaggerates the ambient?

If you have a spare house fan, take off the side panel again and point it right at the opening. See if the temperatures drop substantially. The sensor may be in a bad position or the case flow might not be good enough.

Ambient temp is defined here as your room temp. Your measuring a mobo sensor for ambient? If so no idea what that temp is for.
Most boards have an "ambient temp" sensor that is placed somewhere on the board that reads the internal case temperature. Or at least, every board that I've owned in the last 6 years.

Tried the Corsair exhausting. It is about 1c less effective as the manual says (which makes sense as there is less of a temperature gradient). Plus side is the ambient is steady at around 44c which isn't bad I think given two HDDs, a hot running GPU/ CPU is about 54c at idle which I think is okay at 3.78ghz given a room temperature of around 27c (which is dropping down to 24c with the ac on) so some progress I think.

I could add another fan to bottom compartment (an intake given it has a dust filter built in) - not sure if this would be beneficial or even necessary?

Thanks to all for you're help - made some progress!

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 35
Delta fan also in front of the middle drive bay as an intake. So now have one intake fan (and plenty of intake vents), PSU intake fan, and then the CPU cooler and top delta fan exhausting.

Back