• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestion on airflow ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuen1309

I finished my first build yesturday and would like some advide about airflow. I managed to do a nice cable management and now I'm at the point where I'd like advise about Airflow in the case.

Question.
My power supply as blue/red switchable colors in the fan. Would it be ok if I put the fan up ?

Is the way my fans are ok ? for a good airflow.

myairflow_zps8cd1da88.png

Front/Sides = intake
Top/Rear = exhaust

Fan up or down on the PSU is fine. I prefer down so nothing can fall into it.

Front/Sides = intake
Top/Rear = exhaust

Fan up or down on the PSU is fine. I prefer down so nothing can fall into it.

this.

though i like the fan up on a bottom mounted psu cause it helps aid the natural convection of the airflow, by adding a solid updraft over the board and out the top. This orientation however is only optimal in a case with no bottom vent, and a nice top vent.

Eathdog's concerns about stuff falling into the psu is valid, however, if your case is on your desk and not the floor, the possibility of something falling into it is pretty small (assuming you don't put stuff on the tower.

PSU fans will suck air IN, and blow it out the back outside the case. There isnt an updraft anywhere and actually goes AGAINST the 'convection' you are talking about since the PSU sucks air in by the fan and out by the plug.

As far as dropping things in it... it doesnt matter where you case sits, you still swap parts out like PCIe/PCI cards that have screws on it, the mobo itself, etc. Seems like you missed the point there. ;)

Last edited:
PSU fans will suck air IN, and blow it out the back outside the case. There isnt an updraft anywhere and actually goes AGAINST the 'convection' you are talking about since the PSU sucks air in by the fan and out by the plug.

As far as dropping things in it... it doesnt matter where you case sits, you still swap parts out like PCIe/PCI cards that have screws on it, the mobo itself, etc. Seems like you missed the point there. ;)

interesting... the last few psus i've had, generated zero airflow out the back and all airflow out the top. are you telling me that is the result of air bouncing off the psu and escaping back up through the fans?

i've always assumed they blew air out that big fan... cause it seemed that was the only airflow i ever got from them

To be quite honest, I just think you mistook that airflow as blowing out of the fan when it was really blowing in through it...Have you ever put a piece of paper over the fan and see if the paper flew off or stuck to it?

You just need to look at the blades to see which direction the air is going to go. I havent run across one PSU that blows the air through the fan (not out the back by the power plug). Im sure some exist, but the VAAAAAAAAAAAAST majority exhaust the air through the back by plug.

Last edited:
Heh, yeah so it sucked the air back through...!

No clue... but all PSUs I dealt with most certainly exhaust by the plug.

fair enough.

:p

i can be wrong... sorta embarrassing for it to be about something basic like this. Strange that this psu seems to be blowing up though. just tried another one i have laying around and that one is definately generating air out the back... not top... wonder why this one is different

Thanks guys for the answers :) hmm , is 17C at idle a good temp ?? This is what my temp display thing tells me. is this good ?? Or should I focus on more airflow ? I got a total of 6 Case fans + the fans on hardware.

I bet in the summer it's a nice place to be, not everyone has AC in your neck of the woods.

18C to in Las Vegas is a long sleeve shirt and a sweater........... heck at night my house is 68F max cold. But in the summer my house can run 86F in the afternoon with high humidity... Ack, and thats with evaporative cooling, biggg money saver.

You have one blowing up through the fan now...? You sure about that? Paper test it too or look at its fan. ;)

yeah... paper blowing up not being sucked down.

and 16c is awesome. that or the mb temp probe is in a pointless part. My MB has its MB temp probe in the NB sink... so i see 30-35c temps.

how you know if your case is getting good airflow is by popping the side off and directing a room fan at the mb. if you see a temp drop of less then 5c, then your case airflow is about as good as its gonna get.

Back