• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570k overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C0mput3rG33k

Registered
Now that my first computer build and first custom waterloop is put together i have started to overclock some. I had my i5 3570k overclocked to 4ghz on the stock cooler with it never getting over 80c.

Now that i have put in my water cooling loop (which is the rs240 xspc kit) i would like to overclock it more. I am now able to get it completely stable at 4.7ghz and vcore is at 1.4 which is what cpuz shows while using prime95. Also it has proven stable while gaming for the last 4 days.

The one thing that im not sure about is if i can get my overclock any higher. If there is a way, i would like to get 5ghz but everywhere i read 1.4v is the max "safe" limit. Also, after 4 hours of stress testing, my temps never get over 60c when at 4.7ghz and 1.4vcore so i know that i have room to go higher temp wise.

So, i was wondering if it is okay to go over 1.4 vcore as long as my temp stays low. I dont like it if my temps get to 80c so i try to stay ~75c or below.

If its not okay to go over 1.4vcore then is there any way to get my clock higher while staying at 1.4vcore. Im fine at 4.7ghz or even 4.4ghz but i would just like to be able to hit the 5ghz mark just to see if i can without frying up my cpu.

I can post my bios settings once i get home this afternoon so that will help and all my componets should be in my sig which i am about to update. If anymore info is needed just let me know :)

Intel doesn't list an "absolute maximum" Vcc / Vcore in the 3570K (3rd gen) datasheet, only a max. VID of 1.52V. Personally I wouldn't go above 1.40-1.45V for long-term use.

There isn't anything you cant do at 4.7 that you would be able to do at 5.0. I had to do 1.45 to hit 5.0, that's too much voltage for my taste. I don't even need 4.8 IMHO.

yeah. i know that i won't even be able to probably tell a difference and that there is probably no need to hit 5.0 but i just want to be able to to say that i did. That being said i might keep it around 4.5 or so anyways.

I have my voltage set to auto offset + but im new to overclocking so i didn't know if theres a better way to get less volts with a higher overclock and not even quite sure what the + or - options are for the offset. The way i got the vcore setting like that was by using the oc turner that my asus mobo has. Then just upped the ghz.

yeah. i know that i won't even be able to probably tell a difference and that there is probably no need to hit 5.0 but i just want to be able to to say that i did. That being said i might keep it around 4.5 or so anyways.

I have my voltage set to auto offset + but im new to overclocking so i didn't know if theres a better way to get less volts with a higher overclock and not even quite sure what the + or - options are for the offset. The way i got the vcore setting like that was by using the oc turner that my asus mobo has. Then just upped the ghz.

My offset is set to auto also. All I did was add vcore and start going up. When I had my Asrock board, my chip did 4.8 only using the offset, so different boards, different settings. I also only did 5.0 just for kicks.

Back