• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving a Windows product key sticker to a new case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

When I built my system, I bought a mid tower. This turned out to be a mistake, but before I found that out, I placed the sticker for my copy of Windows on it. Now I am planning on upgrading the system to a super tower.

How do I move the sticker? The system isn't changing, apart from the case. The only thing that I can think of is to use a Dremel to cut off the part of the case with the sticker and then mount it is a removable fashion to the new case.

Is there a better way? Can I get a replacement from Microsoft? A case upgrade doesn't justify buying a new copy of Windows.

Can you get a hold of a hot air gun? The heat would soften the adhesive(not too much heat!) and allow removal.

I would not try any kind of solvents to loosen the sticker- might get damaged in the process.

Can you get a hold of a hot air gun? The heat would soften the adhesive(not too much heat!) and allow removal.

Apply some heat and a razor blade, then glue the thing to one of those thin refrigerator magnets, and you can have a Windows license for your toaster :D

I figured it was tamper resistant.

They're a very thin paper on top of the adhesive, so just be careful not to pull on it if at all possible. I've managed to save a couple from the bottom of laptops with just a razor blade. If you happen to have a heat gun, that should make it a lot easier.

No one will ever ask to see the sticker. It's for OEM use. I ALWAYS left mine on the CD case.

All you need is the number. Write it down. And check it 17 times. Make a digital pic. Make a word doc with it. Print it. Put it in a box, bury one in the yard.

Check it 17 times before committing it to memory.

Dunno what the issue is, and why in the heck did you take it off the CD box?

Dunno what the issue is, and why in the heck did you take it off the CD box?

I'm very forgetful and wanted it somewhere that I would remember and somewhere that I could plainly see. It is on the top of the case, right at the front. I look at it every day.

As long as you don't tell us the key you used for bcrypt, you might as well send it to everybody's gmail. Better backups that way :)

Yes, hence the gzip & crypt routine. If gmail's not snooping through your mail, they're trying to share everything you've got. Not too long ago I found a spreadsheet that someone emailed long ago,in my Google Drive. I hadn't put it there, and had never used Google Drive until recently. :shrug:

Am I reading this right or is the heat getting to me? Dremel? Razor blade? Heatgun?

Besides the more practical responses given already, you could even write it on a post it and tape it to your new case! I would have said snap a pic and print it, but I feared backlash for cost of ink being somehow worse than time spent using the aforementioned tools that can potentially injure you. :rolleyes:

the aforementioned tools that can potentially injure you. :rolleyes:

I've sliced the bloody hell out of myself several times on the edges of PCBs and cheap cases, dropped a tower heatsink on my thumb, and burned myself on a passive north-bridge heatsink. Injured myself with a razor blade, Dremel, or heat gun? Nope. :shrug:

I have several battle scars from cheap pc's and their cheaper unrolled/sharpened sheet metal edges (IT Employee) but the right tool for the job has never injured me(in this case razor blade, dremel, heat gun).

Am I reading this right or is the heat getting to me? Dremel? Razor blade? Heatgun?

Besides the more practical responses given already, you could even write it on a post it and tape it to your new case! I would have said snap a pic and print it, but I feared backlash for cost of ink being somehow worse than time spent using the aforementioned tools that can potentially injure you. :rolleyes:

They are answering a question as I asked it. I am aware of the alternatives and I have my reasons for asking the question. Out of all of the things that I have built and all of the different power tools I've used, nothing mentioned so far in this thread concerns me in the least.

Back