• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RESULTS!

Alright guys, its Saturday, I got some benching done, and some results from this drive!

I ran ATTO, AS SSD, and CrystalDiskMark. All were run in the same method as the guys to do for site reviews for comparison purposes.

First up, just the drive (RAPID Mode disabled)
Let's just say, I'm impressed by this part alone.

AS_SSD_PLAIN.jpg

ATTO_PLAIN.jpg

CDM_PLAIN.jpg

So, those numbers are awesome. Now, I went into the software and enabled RAPID Mode, which uses RAM caching for the SSD.

*Disclaimer: These speeds may cause excessive drooling.*

AS_SSD_RAPID.jpg

ATTO_RAPID.jpg

CDM_RAPID.jpg

On a side note, I got a higher AS SSD run that can be seen here.
Second in the world for 1x SSD. Only beaten by a Revodrive X2.

Nice so RAPID Mode is only on the evo what about 840 pro I got one I never used can you notice any difference in speed?

If you don't mind, I would like to share my EVO 250GB benched 2 weeks ago.

Tested on Giga Z77X-UD5H. i7-3770K, 16GB rams and all were in SATA 6GB/s ports.

These test were at normal mode....except for the last 3 tests were with RAPID MODE.

Evo_250GB_NORM_HDtach
2n24m4j.jpg

Evo_250GB_NORM_ATTO
167tllc.jpg

Evo_250GB_NORM_HDtunePro
352kigy.jpg

Evo_250GB_NORM_ASssdBenchMark
ie2zye.jpg

Evo_250GB_NORM_CrystalDiskMark
2rd81ts.jpg

========

With RAPID MODE

Evo_250GB_NORM_RoadKill_SEAGATE_2TB_VS ..... small file writes
314rnkx.jpg

HD Tune File Benchmark
2s1skcw.jpg

Benchmark with SamSung Magician v4.2.1
qsjeh2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice so RAPID Mode is only on the evo what about 840 pro I got one I never used can you notice any difference in speed?

I haven't used an 840PRO, but with RAPID going the EVO faster than the PRO as far as pure stats go. Can't speak for usage.

Thanks Atmin you now make me want to send back my 840 Pro SSD as this seems to be quicker than mine!! AJ. :eh?: :-/

Thanks Atmin you now make me want to send back my 840 Pro SSD as this seems to be quicker than mine!! AJ. :eh?: :-/

The EVO is only faster with RAPID going.
The PRO is still the "better" drive (we're splitting hairs here), but the "Samsung Magician" software really is magic.

I believe the PRO is supposed to get it later this year, but it doesn't at this time.

OK thanks for the answer will it do the same as the EVO and increase the speed on the SSD!!

Nice results on that drive. Its TLC which is one difference, but otherwise speeds look solid and compete with the Pro and OCZ Vector for less $. :)

Nice results on that drive. Its TLC which is one difference, but otherwise speeds look solid and compete with the Pro and OCZ Vector for less $. :)

I looked into Endurance testing before buying, and Anandtech had a great article.
Let's just say that read/write cycles were still very high.

The Pro doesn't have RAPID (for now) and the Vector doesn't either. That bit with the RAM Caching was most impressive. It was good enough that it put me #2 on AS SSD with a single drive on HWBot.

I dont think you can use ram caching on that benchmark.. Clearly that is cheating (I know you didnt do it maliciously)... at least to me anyway. I also do not think you get boints for that test anyway.

Yeah those results are nice.... I just don't care to use ram caching... if I did, I would have never bought an SSD in the first place and just did it on my Caviar Black and received the same results for way less money. Nifty feature, just not something I would use as things are plenty fast enough as is. :)

EDIT: No rules for it, but it would be a damn shame to allow the use of ram caching for an SSD test...You are also at #3. ;)

I dont think you can use ram caching on that benchmark.. Clearly that is cheating (I know you didnt do it maliciously)... at least to me anyway. I also do not think you get boints for that test anyway.

Yeah those results are nice.... I just don't care to use ram caching... if I did, I would have never bought an SSD in the first place and just did it on my Caviar Black and received the same results for way less money. Nifty feature, just not something I would use as things are plenty fast enough as is. :)

EDIT: No rules for it, but it would be a damn shame to allow the use of ram caching for an SSD test...You are also at #3. ;)

No boints on that. Just posted since I was running anyway.

I've moved down one spot since I posted the score then. Not sure how he got that score with the Pro, its ~2k higher than a Revodrive2, but whatever.

My thought was that it would be fine since it was packaged software. Its not setting aside X RAM for the cache like a normal ramdisk/ramcache either.

I would be floored if that was deemed legal. Its ram cache. Doesn't matter who makes the software, its a ram cache and its not testing the ssd for the most part.

I'd imagine husnscore to be using a ramcache or something of the like as well. There shoukdnt be any reason either of your drives are remotely close close to a revodrive x2.

So what quantifiable real world things does this ramcache improve?

I would be floored if that was deemed legal. Its ram cache. Doesn't matter who makes the software, its a ram cache and its not testing the ssd for the most part.

Well, till they release rules for the benchmark:

the-world-may-never-know-thumb_zpsaa780f2f.jpg

I'm extremely skeptical of this RAPID mode. For read caching SuperFetch already does this, but in a far more intelligent manner. Rather than always using 1GB SuperFetch will use whatever unused RAM you have, and will dump stuff from the cache if you need the RAM. As for RAPID write caching, you are one BSOD away from some ugly data loss.

I'm extremely skeptical of this RAPID mode. For read caching SuperFetch already does this, but in a far more intelligent manner. Rather than always using 1GB SuperFetch will use whatever unused RAM you have, and will dump stuff from the cache if you need the RAM. As for RAPID write caching, you are one BSOD away from some ugly data loss.

I keep anything important on my 1.5TB and backed up on the server also. If anything happens on the SSD, I'll simply reflash Windows and go on with life.

Back