• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - sleep mode for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XFXKilla

Registered
I set a task schedule in Win 7 Task scheduler to wake up my HTPC ( XBMC) computer when I come home from work at the same time everyday.

After doing this, instead of powering off / shutting down the computer like usual. I chose "Sleep mode" since I selected "Awake computer to complete the task" when I created the task. This is my first time using this setting.

I noticed after sleep mode activated - my screen went blank, my computer was still on for a minute or two.. and then it completely shut down ( no fans running.)

So is this sleep mode still active - will it still wake up at the scheduled time? I thought low level power would atleast keep the fans running, I can understand the blank screen happening.

Thanks in advance.

Normal behavior.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

Well it did startup at the scheduled time, but stayed on the login screen. When I did login, the application I requested to start (XBMC) was running.

Can I get around this? Or will it always stop at the login screen after waking up from sleep-mode?

Well it did startup at the scheduled time, but stayed on the login screen. When I did login, the application I requested to start (XBMC) was running.

Can I get around this? Or will it always stop at the login screen after waking up from sleep-mode?

Control Panel > (set as large/small icons) > Power options > Require a password on wakeup (left column)

Just set it not to require not to be locked when the computer wakes up.

Back