• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Backup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi, I have been trying to backup my bios using the Asus DOS method posted below. I follow all the steps, enter a filename for it & hit return. I get the screen as in the second photo below. Instead of the message in the red box I get an error there that reads (the bios backup is not supported due to security policy.
I figure it must be something I have set or don't have set in my system.
Any help or comments please!

Attachments

• bios1.PNG
    bios1.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • bios2.PNG
    bios2.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,385
The BIOS backup was blocked to allow the possibility to pass Windows 8 WHQL test, so is the change from .ROM to .CAP.
Gone...Again.

What would be the reason to foul up the possibility to backup up the bios = Why are you trying to back the bios up? All the bioses for that board are available from Asus download.

Now if what you think you are going to save is "your" current settings, for some use it ain't happening. When they went to UEFI bios the settings are saved in NVRAM and not to CMOS as it once was. They still call it Save and Exit when you make changes in bios but it is my understanding that CMOS as we knew it does not function the way it used to do. This is why NOW when flashing a bios we lose our overclocking Profiles. They are erased with later UEFI bioses.

Most of the later and better mobos now have the option to save "pictures"/images of your bios settings to a Usb stick formatted in FAT32 to the Usb stick by using the F12 key in whatever section of the bios screen you are visually seeing on your computer screen. You can use the "pictures"/images to see what your bios settings were previosly. I said area of bios you are actually viewing on your computer screen because you must scroll the larger bios menus and F12 as many times as it takes to get captures of a full "long" bios menu. Like Ai Tweaker bios menu section takes at least two F12 processes to get the whole look of the menu.
Gone...Again.

What would be the reason to foul up the possibility to backup up the bios = Why are you trying to back the bios up? All the bioses for that board are available from Asus download.

Now if what you think you are going to save is "your" current settings, for some use it ain't happening. When they went to UEFI bios the settings are saved in NVRAM and not to CMOS as it once was. They still call it Save and Exit when you make changes in bios but it is my understanding that CMOS as we knew it does not function the way it used to do. This is why NOW when flashing a bios we lose our overclocking Profiles. They are erased with later UEFI bioses.

Most of the later and better mobos now have the option to save "pictures"/images of your bios settings to a Usb stick formatted in FAT32 to the Usb stick by using the F12 key in whatever section of the bios screen you are visually seeing on your computer screen. You can use the "pictures"/images to see what your bios settings were previosly. I said area of bios you are actually viewing on your computer screen because you must scroll the larger bios menus and F12 as many times as it takes to get captures of a full "long" bios menu. Like Ai Tweaker bios menu section takes at least two F12 processes to get the whole look of the menu.
Gone...Again.
You hit it on the nose, I was thinking that I would be able to save my OC profiles. Your explanation is great, Thank you for clearing that up.
Dan

You can save your OC profiles in the ASUS bios listed. I just flashed to 2103, but was running 0803 and it was the same all the way through. you enter the BIOS, go advanced, set your AI tweaks however you want, go to tools, ASUS OC something or other (it's the bottom option) and then enter your file name and save to profile (1,2,3,4,.....etc). Then you just load in the same fashion when you want to make tweaks to the current setup

You can save your OC profiles in the ASUS bios listed. I just flashed to 2103, but was running 0803 and it was the same all the way through. you enter the BIOS, go advanced, set your AI tweaks however you want, go to tools, ASUS OC something or other (it's the bottom option) and then enter your file name and save to profile (1,2,3,4,.....etc). Then you just load in the same fashion when you want to make tweaks to the current setup
Yes but then if you have to flash your bios again after flashing you go directly to tools & look for OC profiles there won't be any. You will have to enter them again from scratch.

Back