• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8.1 resolution vs 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I went ahead and updated to 8.1 on my desktop so that i'm familiar with it when my parents have issues.

I like the upgrade the only problem I'm having is it seams my resolution is different. Settings say it's still 1080 but icons are larger and webpages seam to display different.

Am I just imagining this or has anyone else experienced this?

No problems here...have you adjusted your icon size?

And what do you mean "seem to display different?"

Resolution won't change between versions. It sounds like the DPI got set higher.

There is definatley something different about my display, the resolution is the same but icons and webpages are larger. I will look for a dpi setting and see what that does.

I guess in some ways it's better but others it's not, just not used to change.

funny thing is the wallpaper didn't resize

You'll have to go to the nvidia control panel, and set your screen resolution, etc.

The resolution is the same according to the OP. Try the DPI thing thiddy mentioned above or change the icon size.

On webpages, at least chrome, use CTRL - or + to shrink or magnify the web pages.

Win 8.1 changed the way that resolution scaling works. On some programs that don't support it, you'll see a type of fuzzy or unclear text. The workaround is to:

-right click the executable in question
-click on properties
-compatibility tab
-check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

You'll have to do this for every program that scales weird for you. I had to do this for the Chrome browser.

Alternatively, go to
Code:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
And check "let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to go back to the previous way Win8 and earlier handled resolution and DPI scaling.

Or just set the DPI back to 100%. These are really complex suggestions that will be solved by clicking a single radio button.

Alternatively, go to
Code:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
And check "let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to go back to the previous way Win8 and earlier handled resolution and DPI scaling.

Or just set the DPI back to 100%. These are really complex suggestions that will be solved by clicking a single radio button.

Good thing we said the same thing. :)

Back