• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD system locks up, won't power down w/power button or reset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Clear the CMOS on that.
You're not even close to the stock settings.
Bus speed should be 200. Vcore should be 1.4v.
God knows what else has been changed.
Let's start from scratch.

Clear the CMOS on that.

Dang you Mr.Scott, you beat me to the punch :) I was going to say about the same thing on the bus speed :thup:
Set the ram speed to 1600MHZ (1.6GHZ), the IMC in FX CPU's don't handle ram clocked to 1866MHZ (1.866GHZ) all that well.

Clear the CMOS on that.

I cleared the CMOS by moving the CLRTC jumper and when I powered on, locked up tight again so the reset and power button didn't work. I once again unplugged the power cord for about 15 minutes and it booted to a screen that said Press F1, which booted into BIOS. I didn't change anything and selected Save changes and reset. It then booted into Windows. I did a shutdown just to see if it would boot into Windows and it did (although I don't think I got the normal first beep - not sure entirely). I of course had to reset the date and time. I ran CPUz and was about the take a screenshot when I noticed the Core Speed and Multiplier change for a second or two before going back the initial values. I was able to capture both instances and also did the memory tab again as shown below.

CPUz_120720.jpg

CPUz_120720_2.jpg

CPUz_mem_120720.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Dang you Mr.Scott, you beat me to the punch :) I was going to say about the same thing on the bus speed :thup:
Set the ram speed to 1600MHZ (1.6GHZ), the IMC in FX CPU's don't handle ram clocked to 1866MHZ (1.866GHZ) all that well.

Please explain how to set the ram speed to 1600MHZ.

So I decided to boot into the BIOS to see if setting the ram speed was simple enough to do. I entered the advanced menu and went into Ai Tweaker. The current memory frequency was set to Auto and the current memory frequency showed 1333MHz (I found that weird because I'm pretty sure my ram is 1866MHz). Would I still want to set it to 1600MHz?

So I decided to boot into the BIOS to see if setting the ram speed was simple enough to do. I entered the advanced menu and went into Ai Tweaker. The current memory frequency was set to Auto and the current memory frequency showed 1333MHz (I found that weird because I'm pretty sure my ram is 1866MHz). Would I still want to set it to 1600MHz?

Yes, in the BIOS, take ram speed off of auto and set it to 1600, the Auto mode don't always sets the right settings. I use manual mode on most settings in my PC's. May need to set the ram profile for 1600 if you have issues.
Read the manual a few times, I've had to do that myself a few times to get to know the MB. :)

I ran CPUz and was about the take a screenshot when I noticed the Core Speed and Multiplier change for a second or two before going back the initial values. I was able to capture both instances and also did the memory tab again as shown below.
Normal. You have Cool & Quiet enabled. It is a power savings feature.

Yes, in the BIOS, take ram speed off of auto and set it to 1600, the Auto mode don't always sets the right settings. I use manual mode on most settings in my PC's. May need to set the ram profile for 1600 if you have issues.
Read the manual a few times, I've had to do that myself a few times to get to know the MB. :)

OK I will change to 1600 in BIOS and read the manual to figure out set the ram profile.

Anyone, I assume I still should get a case fan is that correct? Is this the one to get:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEMG62M?tag=pcbuilds101-20

OK I will change to 1600 in BIOS and read the manual to figure out set the ram profile.

Anyone, I assume I still should get a case fan is that correct? Is this the one to get:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEMG62M?tag=pcbuilds101-20

No, if a 140mm will go where I have the red arrow, put 1 there, if 140mm is too big then a 120mm. Also, try and neaten up those cables too.
KenScase.jpg

I looked at my motherboard manual and went into Ai Overclock Tuner. The manual said if you set it to D.O.C.P it allows you to select a DRAM O.C. profile. I did this and the system made the following changes w/o me selecting them:

View attachment 201208223151.BMP

I saved changes and exited and the F'ing rig locked up tight AGAIN!!! I unplugged for about 10 - 15 minutes and retried - nope. Repeated but only waited about 3 - 4 minutes - still frozen. I then waited another 10 minutes, plugged it back in and booted to Windows. All this time I have had the side cover off, so I don't really think it is an overheating issue, although I could be wrong. I just don't get why it will constantly lock up after making such a change, yet I have had it booted up idle for a couple days straight with no lockups. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Should I keep it set to D.O.C.P? What's my next step? Do I bite the bullet and take it to a computer tech? Is there anything helpful on the motherboard DVD that was included that I need to try?

Here's what the memory tab looks like by the way after those changes.

CPUz_mem_120820.jpg

Also, I found a very similar thread on this same forum but back 4 years ago. It looked like several posters had a similar issue with lockups and they all has ASUS mb but Intel CPU. One poster asked what kind of ram and the guy have the problem stated 'Crucial Ballitix Sport DDR4 2400mhz'. I also have Crucial Ballistix although DDR3 Tactical as mentioned earlier. The other poster responded "One guy on the ROG forums had the same RAM as you (I see it uses all chips :s), swapped it for G. Skill, no problems after. I had Corsair (uses Hynix chips), swapped it for G. Skill (using Samsung chips) not experiencing any problems for now (for a week, since I put it in). My guess is that the Hynix chips are not compatible somehow. To cut the long story short, swap your RAM with G. Skill, nothing else seems to work."

I don't know could it be my ram sticks that are causing the issue?

Can you please explain how to set the ram timing to 9,9,9,27? Also, I measure from one mounting hole down to the other is that correct?

Can you please explain how to set the ram timing to 9,9,9,27? Also, I measure from one mounting hole down to the other is that correct?

On page 3-11 of your MB manual, Section 3.4.11 Dram Timing Control, open that and set the timing there.

On page 3-11 of your MB manual, Section 3.4.11 Dram Timing Control, open that and set the timing there.

Thanks, WhitehawkEQ!! I will set that tonight after work. Should I do anything else (besides get the case fan), like stress test the CPU or anything?

Set the timing to 9,9,9,27.
View attachment 212319

So I changed the timing to 9,9,9,27. I assume I did it correctly based on the CPUz memory tab shown below. However, now the bus speed isn't around 200 anymore and I don't think I changed anything else.

CPUz_mem_120920.jpg

CPUz_120920.jpg

I would also change that cooler orientation 90 degrees, to blow front to back.

So just to be 100% sure, since I'm not sure about the air flow direction, would I make it so the cooler fan would face the front of the case?

Case air flow should be from front/low to rear high. The cooler fan should be blowing air through the cooler from front to back towards the rear panel case fan. Computer fans are made to push air from the open side of the fan frame through the spoked side.

Attachments

• case air flow.jpg
    case air flow.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 100
Case air flow should be from front/low to rear high. The cooler fan should be blowing air through the cooler from front to back towards the rear panel case fan. Computer fans are made to push air from the open side of the fan frame through the spoked side.

Gotcha, that helps a lot, thanks.

Back