• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Exoframe Mini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Time to start running all my cabling:

CIstartingcabling_zpsd84a5364.jpg

I’ve got cables running to power the motherboard, blu ray burner, pump and radiator fan control.

Lining up the cables for my hard drives:

CIstartcabling2_zpsac3195af.jpg

After getting everything plugged up, this was what my cable mess looked like!

CIcablingmess1_zps151d3595.jpg

Just a quick list of cables I see in this pic: front USB connectors, intake fan power, pump control, radiator fan control, front audio connectors, hard drive power, hard drive data, graphics power, internal lighting junction.

Time to start getting my cables organized.

I’ve gotten some recommendations on uniformly sleeving my cables, etc. However, my goals for the cabling in this project were:

1 Unobtrusive
2 Organized
3 Black

Since this project is going to completely encased in dark tinted plastic, and the only internal lighting is going to be UV, I really just want the cables to disappear, so fancy sleeving would be wasted.

So I kept it simple.

Example:

Lined up all my data cables:

CIcablingmess4_zps214ad53c.jpg

Folded and tied excessive cable lengths, and hid A LOT in the dark space between the blu ray burner and powersupply:

CIcablingmess3_zps70dfa463.jpg

And on this major mess side, mostly just bundled things up and threw it in some tubing.

CIcablingcleanup1_zps2a15c376.jpg

Went to work on the fill port.

Located my hole:

Fillport1_zpsaeffb978.jpg

Fillportdrillhole_zps9dc6a009.jpg

Unibits work great on plastics.

Fillportinstalled_zps22a0953b.jpg

Fillportcompleted_zpsf4c57c26.jpg

Trying out these clamps--they work pretty good. They do scratch easy, and often you need to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the ends to engage the screw, which causes scratches. Slightly longer screw would be good.

Collarclips_zps017e497e.jpg

Navig, is that a anti kink coil you have above the reservoir? If so I like the way it makes the connection look. The clamps, are they the Bitspower ones? I've though about grabbing a few of them myself, I have the Koolance clamps on one of my rigs and they definitely do not have a lot of clamping force.

Anyhow, looks good!!!

I believe the clips are Lamptrons. BPs look nice, a little expensive.

I should note that I decided on my tubing setup: Blue UV reactive clear tubing 3/4" OD, clear water with blue UV reactive dye, and black antikink coils.

I believe the clips are Lamptrons. BPs look nice, a little expensive.
Yeah from what I've seen the Lamptrons are about $1.00 cheaper ea.

I should note that I decided on my tubing setup: Blue UV reactive clear tubing 3/4" OD, clear water with blue UV reactive dye,
Now I see why you have a set of Blue sticks and a blue based mobo. :D

Here’s my handy tip of the day. How I cut my tubing. I’ve got simple PVC pipe cutter from my local Lowe’s or Home Depot. You need to keep some pressure on the back of the cutting blade to prevent the spring-back from the tubing, but it cuts clean and accurately.

[video]http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Exoframe Mini/Tube Cutting2_zpspjvrmtbv.mp4[/video]

As I mentioned above, I decided to use clear blue UV reactive tubing with black anti-kink coils. I tried a lot of different combos--I looked at orange opaque UV tubing with and without coils and purple UV tubing, and this was the coolest looking setup to my eyes.

Started by cutting my motherboard tubing to length. CPU to video card.

CPUtubing1_zps0e9bb0b4.jpg

Added the graphics card to reservoir run.

Mobotubingdone_zpse1a243bb.jpg

Next I started lining up my radiator tubing. I wanted two parallel runs, running right next to each other, so contructed these elbows:

Radiatortubing1_zps356108c4.jpg

Started laying out the tubing runs:

Radiatortubing2_zpsb4fc51d6.jpg

Squared everything off with some zip ties:

Radiatortubing3_zps4dd3f13e.jpg

And that was my tubing!

Radiatortubing5_zps77bb104c.jpg

Radiatortubing4_zpsc163d002.jpg

Gettin' there!

Took my first stab at filling the loop.

Here was my setup. Fill the resevoir, got the pump controlled by an external fan controller (with its own power supply).

Fillsetup_zps2f09ea7c.jpg

And ran into a leak, right here at the reservoir return fitting.

Leak1_zps078a6cbb.jpg

Draining the system was a cinch.. Just put a tupperware under the drain plug.

Leak2_zps941468f4.jpg

And here was the culprit:

Leak3_zps04b097db.jpg

The threaded portion of this fitting had a crack in it--in fact it had nearly completely sheared off somehow. Easily replaced.

Just out of curiosity, why secondary power supply for the fan controller or are you doing it just until you have the loop water tight?

Ugh; sorry you had a leak (and glad you found it!).

See people? This is why leak testing is so important...can't ever stress that enough. :)

Got my system leak tested, success this time.

Time to work on the lighting effects.

I wanted my tubing to be quite visible and luminous.

However, I noticed that with the 2 vertical lengths, one tube was casting a shadow on the other, so only one was being well lit.

Lightshadow4_zps479a8925.jpg

Subtle, but not happy about it.

So I put together another mini UV light:

Lightshadow3_zps3a4e995d.jpg

Now I’ve got that area lit.

Lightshadow2_zpsd839dd7f.jpg

Before:

Lightshadowhalf1_zpse37b78f0.jpg

After:

Lightshadowhalf2_zps503ba23e.jpg

Note, these tubing runs will be much more prominent after I add UV dye to the water.

More experimentation with UV colors.

Picked up paints from my local arts n crafts store:

UVplay3_zpsd0bf4970.jpg

Uvplay4_zpsee48a4c1.jpg

Also picked up nick-nacks from my local office supply including vinyl letters.

UVplay2_zps3a069528.jpg

This is all just playing around, maybe it’ll stay, maybe not.

UVplay8_zps04bd19a8.jpg

Uvplay9_zpsa4d8dfe6.jpg

The area on the surface of the motherboard is very dark, so these are some pre-made UV dots from the office store.

UVplay5_zps31554b40.jpg

This turned out really nice.

UVplay6_zps6e9d6cb4.jpg

UVplay7_zps6916dc77.jpg

A suggestion Navig, the "Navig" you have on the reservoir, I feel it would look better if you cut the lettering out and painted you name directly on the reservoir with the UV paint. I also like the Uv dot on the Cpu block, nice touch.

I don't actually need a glow-in-the-dark logo of myself on my own case!
never know maybe one day when your old and grey you'll need it to remember. :)

Yes that Mayhem dye does look really cool.

Back