• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770K What can I expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Well? Any old farts around here got any idea?

I have not read threads but I did research benchmarks and the final verdict came in when I could do a 4770K build cheaper than an AMD build.

I want to know some of your experiences and how finicky is this CPU.

Last edited:
Archer from what I've seen with these chips, It's pretty much luck of the draw with them and how well they'll OC. I have compared mine, to a few other forum members and mine runs a lot hotter then theirs at lower voltages. This may be from the same issues that presented themselves with the Ivy chips, where the IHS isn't making good contact with the die. Mine seems to be a pretty good overclocker as far as how high I can get it on really good water for benching purposes. It's been as high as 5.2 with a whole lot of Cpu V. For 24/7 purposes on water, 4.4 @ 1.24 Cpu V is about as high as I can go 2 hours stable Prime blend before I hit my max temps, around 90c. I know others that can go higher on lesser cooling with more voltage and still run cooler then mine. It's a great chip as far as performance goes, it just seems like it's just a matter of how good the silicon is and how well the IHS is making contact with the die that determines how far you can push it.

The 4770k I have is one of the ones Manny was comparing to. His 4.4 at 1.24v on a loop and mine at 4.5 and 1.32v using a ThermalTake water 2.0 Extreme AIO cooler. I was running 10c cooler than him. But I top out around the 5.0 mark, not sure if one has anything to do with the other but these do need a decent cooler that's for sure. I came to this from an all AMD perspective the performance is great but the OC experience is a bit bland. If you know what I mean.

How is the Lucid MVP performance? I will be happy to get back to fast encodes using the IGP but I would love to use it along side my 7850. I would love to pass my 7850 through actually.

Couldn't say Archer, don't have that with my board.

Lucid is sometimes causing issues but you can try to set it and there is high chance on some improvements ( sometimes up to +50% ).

These chips are so various that you can get 4.2GHz 1.25V or 4.6GHz 1.25V. Also there are chips that have OC wall really low like it can run stable 4.5GHz 1.25V but to make 4.8GHz it will need 1.5V+.
Probably that's why no one is selling selected cpus for overclockers as to be sure that chip is really good you have to bench it on LN2. There were chips that could make 4.8GHz on air/water but 5.1-5.2GHz max on ss or dice.
4.5GHz is going to work at something between 1.25 and 1.40V so good luck :)

Back