• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU in my laptop dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schroinx

Registered
My laptop, a lenovo x100e with AMD/ati 3200 is acting strange. The screen is distorted. I have taken it apart and checked connections etc and applied new thermal grease, so it is not overheating. It acts a bit more normal, when I change the res from the native 1368x768 to 1280 or something. The external display looks better. I have updated bios, drivers and everything. Does anyone gave an idea of what it can be? Is it dying?

Or is there a forum that is specialized in gpu stuff where they may be able the help?

That looks like memory corruption on the graphics card. You mentioned that the external display "looks better". If it doesn't have any issues at all, then the issue is with the connection to the card for the internal display or the display itself is shot.

If the external display has issues, I stand by my first thought of "memory corruption" and the card is likely dying.

Are temperatures sane?

That looks like memory corruption on the graphics card. You mentioned that the external display "looks better". If it doesn't have any issues at all, then the issue is with the connection to the card for the internal display or the display itself is shot.

If the external display has issues, I stand by my first thought of "memory corruption" and the card is likely dying.

Are temperatures sane?

The mobile 3200 chip does not have a temp sensor.

The external screen is ok, so chances are that it is the cable to the internal screen, as you suggest . It seems that these lvds flat cables can develop tin whiskers that creates short circuits and effects as seems on the screen images.

Thanks for your help :)

Back