• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my gpu dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raisethe3

Registered
Is this image attached a result of my gpu dying? (See attached image). I have had this GPU since summer of 2008 when I bought it. Perhaps its time to upgrade? I hardly play games with this build, so I am contemplating on getting a cheap GPU for now. Currently looking on getting a cheap GeForce 210, just to hold me over until I decide whether I want to play newer games in the future. Thoughts or replies anyone??

GPU dead.jpg

In the image you will noticed those red wavy lines. There a bunch of them as I am typing now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont see any wavy lines in the photo. Perhaps it's the connection(cable) or the monitor?

So is it the monitor or the GPU? I am going to restart the computer and make sure my monitor is firmly attached to the GPU.

I just switched to a new monitor, and still see these red lines. I can't even adjust the resolution for this new monitor as well. screenshot.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Rest assurred, the connection is very stable and nothing loose. Perhaps my EVGA 8800GT is dying now. :(

Well typically the screen shot would be the same as what's visual to the screen. But because rendering looks ok in the screen shot of desktop, but not on the monitor, start with a new cable, then new/different monitor. Even a TV with PC or HDMI in would work for a test.

Well typically the screen shot would be the same as what's visual to the screen. But because rendering looks ok in the screen shot of desktop, but not on the monitor, start with a new cable, then new/different monitor. Even a TV with PC or HDMI in would work for a test.

Ok be back with switching a new cable right now. Hang tight.

Rest assurred, the connection is very stable and nothing loose. Perhaps my EVGA 8800GT is dying now.

Well dang you ninja'ed me!! :D

8800GT. Well, it's got it's age to it.... lol. Probably not a good thing going for it.... I'm sorry. Those are good cards. I have 2x 8800 Ultras just sitting around. They are no longer relevant to my needs any more.

Swapped new monitors, doubled check for tight connection and here I am still with the red wavy lines. Swapped cables as well.

Doesn't even let me access MSI Afterburner nor Windows Display settings. It sets its default to 800x600. (Monitor supposed to be 1920x1080 Dell, 1680x1050 Samsung).

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I think I am going to have to get a new GPU.

Thank you everyone for the help. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
You are due one anyway. The 8800GT was the cat's meow in it's day but that day was a long time ago. However, I've got one of those laying around if you want to replace it with another one. It works perfectly. I'll make you a good deal if you help me reduce my junk pile. PM me if interested.

Back