• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a GPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artistwantab

Hey guys,

I started a custom build prior to covid and had to start when I was out of work.

I was out of work for well over a year and now finally back to work and getting back to my build.

Here is the motherboard and CPU....

****Motherboard.... MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI

****CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor.

Here is my issue with completing the build...

This was my graphics card of choice prior to COVID

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER MINI 8GB GDDR6 256-bit 14Gbps

I just can't do $ 900.00 so I am looking at other choices.

These used to be $ 400.00+ but the price has sky rocketed with no end in the near future.

I am looking for a cheap temporary GPU. Something to get me through these times while using and testing the components already purchased.

Thanks in advance for any help

Do you just need it to display output or do you think you will be using it for mild gaming?

You could buy a CPU with iGPU like the Ryzen 7 5700G (a really good deal if you live near a Microcenter). Buy the time GPU prices come back down, I would guess that either the 3700X or 5700G would have more value than a low-end video card at that time.

Do you just need it to display output or do you think you will be using it for mild gaming?

When the system is done I will do gaming but for now I just need to get the system running. I could like with completing some older final fantasy games until the new GPU become available.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

You could buy a CPU with iGPU like the Ryzen 7 5700G (a really good deal if you live near a Microcenter). Buy the time GPU prices come back down, I would guess that either the 3700X or 5700G would have more value than a low-end video card at that time.

I would rather not go this route I have plenty of Computers. Hoping to find a descent GPU cheaply that I can move to my I7 Systems one I get my final card.

The problem is that right now even a really low end card may go for way more than its worth.

I would say you may be able to pick up an r9 270/270x for less than $100.

On top of anything else you do Artist ...Get yourself in the Newegg Daily Shuffle which gives you at least a chance at a GPU.
Sign up for everyone you can afford. (I only sign up for EVGA). As far fetched as it seems I have won a few. You will have at least a chance at a GPU. Do this every day. Also try signing up for EVGA Notifications assuming you still can.

The problem is that right now even a really low end card may go for way more than its worth.

I would say you may be able to pick up an r9 270/270x for less than $100.

This looks to be exactly what I want. About $ 100 and about $ 150 new. Thank you!

I will do this. I don't win stuff like this but I keep thinking all the bad carma will eventually turn. :)

This looks to be exactly what I want. About $ 100 and about $ 150 new. Thank you!

I will do this. I don't win stuff like this but I keep thinking all the bad carma will eventually turn. :)
Even at retail , it doesn't feel like we "Won" anything:p....Just the right to give them too much money.;):D

Back