• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help installing Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

I am trying to install Windows 7 onto one of these...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4888#ov

From a bootable USB 2.0 flash drive and the machine won't seem to recognize that it should boot from that device. It shows up in the BIOS but it won't go to windows...

Basically the thing is just booting directly into the BIOS and won't do anything else. I have tried two different flash drives so far but have not had any luck. I have an external hard drive I could try but I would rather not format that just yet if I can find a way around this.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate it, thanks!

If you've already used this to correctly create the Bootable USB drive:
www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

then try manually creating the Bootable USB Flash drive:
Connect your USB Flash drive then type this in Windows 7/Vista DOS [Windows XP DOS cannot be used for this]:

• diskpart
• list disk
• select disk #
[of USB Flash drive]
• clean
• create partition primary
• select partition 1
• active
• format fs=NTFS quick
• assign
• exit

Now copy all contents of Windows 7 ISO to the USB Flash drive, then reboot and hold F8 or F12 or whichever F Key your motherboard uses to get a boot selection menu from which you can choose to boot from the newly created USB Flash Drive.

Optionally, delete autorun.inf (because autorun.inf files are now routinely intercepted by antivirus software.)

Tried manually creating the bootable USB image, no luck. I now have the new machine connected to a DVD drive via a SATA to USB adapter and it is getting stuck at the screen that says "Starting Windows" that displays after the files for windows loads and just before you actually boot into the setup screen to begin installation.

Have you tried selecting the USB drive in the manual boot menu? (Usually F11 or F12)

You might also try updating the BIOS, most modern BIOS support flashing from USB drive.

If the above suggestions don't work. I would suspect USB 3.0 is causing problems for you. I've had problems with USB 2.0 and 3.0 drives in USB 3.0 slots when trying to install OSs. Unfortunately all the systems I've worked on had USB 2.0 so the only thing I can come up with is this:

You might try installing from the hard drive: http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Windows-7-without-USB-or-DVD-without-upgra/

Back