• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CryptoSlax Mining O/S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try using a different card for display then mine with the 5570. I know that I have had infinite problems vetting a 5450 to work in Linux. It worked OK for me in this,but I already had 3 other and cards installed and I did not run the display from it.

Well, I put the 5570 on the Crosshair with the 6870. Booted CryptoSlax, and the driver loaded fine. However, it was throwing out 100's of invalid shares in just a few minutes.

It seems that CryptoSlax couldn't see the 5570 through the Biostar for some reason. It also seems that the 5570 has 2 gpu threads while the 6870 has only 1 gpu thread. cgminer only supports one global setting for gpu threads, it does not support each card with different number of threads. It can't be told "GPU Threads" : "1,2". Therefore, one card or the other would be throwing invalid shares.

So, the 5570 will go in a different PC as a secondary card running in the background. With an onboard nVidia as the primary display not hashing but acting as the display card on a web-browsing/word-processing machine and the 5570 hashing some alt-coin in the background, it may eventually add up to beer money. Or maybe not.

Actually the new sgminer supports that... 1,2 setting for threads.

Didn't the developer publish an sgminer module for cryptoslax?

Check his community page over at Google +, he posted a faq.

It's not like you'll mine a whole lot on that card anyway though. It probably doesn't even mine on its own. My 4350 for instance doesn't support opencl, maybe it's a rebrand of a 43xx card?

Yes, I am using a monitor. It does go to the desktop, but with generic driver loaded and in a default 1280x1024 resolution. The monitor is 1920x1200 and that does not show at all when I view the display properties.

I removed the 5570 and set the bios for internal nVidia, then booted. Drivers for the nVidia do load and the resolution is 1920x1200.

Put the 5570 back in but left bios set for internal nVidia as default monitor. Booted again, and drivers for the 5570 do not load.

I have no idea how to remove and reinstall drivers for linux. I did download the linux x86_x64 driver from AMD, but there are no instructions or even a readme file.

The last time I did much with linux was in 1994 and I remember very little.

I will obtain the CryptoSlax beta version and see if maybe that flies. However, if anyone can tell me what I might do about this on the non-beta version, I'll give it a go.

hello dev here,

while u plugged in 5570, are u sure u turn off nvidia card or any onboard gpu, linux will load driver for primary gpu, in this case if ur primary gpu are nvidia, it will load nvidia driver, i never seen linux works with multiple gpu driver from different manufacturer (AMD + nVidia + Intel)

cryptoslax will automatic load amd driver if AMD gpu are available as primary gpu, its on /usr/bin/init-amd.sh , this script already do aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f on every boot, so you will see AMD is detected or not on boot, does it says detected? and did u go into X session (graphical) ?

what did "aticonfig --lsa" say ?

Well, I put the 5570 on the Crosshair with the 6870. Booted CryptoSlax, and the driver loaded fine. However, it was throwing out 100's of invalid shares in just a few minutes.

It seems that CryptoSlax couldn't see the 5570 through the Biostar for some reason. It also seems that the 5570 has 2 gpu threads while the 6870 has only 1 gpu thread. cgminer only supports one global setting for gpu threads, it does not support each card with different number of threads. It can't be told "GPU Threads" : "1,2". Therefore, one card or the other would be throwing invalid shares.

So, the 5570 will go in a different PC as a secondary card running in the background. With an onboard nVidia as the primary display not hashing but acting as the display card on a web-browsing/word-processing machine and the 5570 hashing some alt-coin in the background, it may eventually add up to beer money. Or maybe not.

you can run multiple instance with cgminer, use parameter "device" : "0" to run config only on gpu-0, while the other using "device" : "1"..

Added a few little notes about the updated version.

I have sgminer working well and autostarting. :thup:

If I knew how to do anything as far as compiling and building the modules I would try to add some of the newer algo's and coins, but I don't, so you will have to wait for the dev to do it.

If you have problems with sgminer starting from the start menu or the start.sh script, let me know. I saw an error in the file, but I am not sure if I screwed it up or it wasn't correct beforehand.

Edit: It looks like someone else reported this error for the sgminer startup. I will note it on the first page.

Last edited:
So, I finally got to the bottom of the issue with the 5570, I think. And it seems there is no way for me to resolve it without using a different motherboard.

There are a very few people who have used 5570s in Windows. I could not find any that used a 5570 successfully with Linux except when their MoBo had no existing onboard video.

It looks like this, to me: (I could be completely wrong, though)
Onboard video can be disabled in BIOS. That works fine for Windows. BIOS says "leave this alone" and Windows says "Yeah, cool. No prob." However, the flavors of Linux I've been trying - the BIOS says "leave this alone" but the O/S says "Hey, lookie what I found! I'll use this one first. Oh hey, and here's another one on the PCIe, lemme give this one a whirl. D'oh! I'm confused. Forget this PCIe thing."

I tried disabling other onboard devices then booting different versions of Linux. Every Linux I tried still finds any hardware, even if the hardware is disabled in BIOS. This includes LAN, Audio, USB ports, ad nauseum. I tried boards with ATI onboard video, thinking maybe that might play nice, but NOPE!

I never expected to get rich from a 5570 hashing its nadz off (would have produced 110kh-120kh at best. I intended to use it while I learned how to optimize hardware and configuration, before putting a heavier GPU to work. You know... blow up the cheap thing and learn how NOT to blow up the good stuff.

I think I came out farther ahead by having this problem than if I had not had this problem. I believe I learned more and have a better understanding overall.

The 6870 has made me a few bucks. I bought a new R9 270 for cheap (was gonna buy one anyway) which should arrive late this week. Might buy more, might not. I expect to put some ca$h on an exchange and give light trading a go.

I am pretty sure this was not the fault of uray and that there is very little or nothing that he could or can do to make it work with this set of conditions. It wouldn't be worth the effort on a logistics level. It might make for a fun exercise in futility, though.

My thanks to those that offered suggestions to help me troubleshoot, and I think uray is awesome for coming in here and reviewing the situation. I will drop a few coins in his tip jar when I have enough.

-On a side note-
The 6870 on the Crosshair V with 16GB RAM (overkill but too lazy to take any out of their sockets) on CryptoSlax cgminer-s, I've hit 390kh/s for brief periods and steady at 355kh/s. That's a bit better than the 315kh/s shown on the litecoin hardware chart for the same exact card. See, I must have learned something...

Last edited:
Nice! Glad you sorted it out...better spend time and money on faster cards anyway.

I'd reccomend you mine ltc at ghash.io for two days and then try your luck with myriad coin, the Groestl algorithm works really well on older cards. 6xxx and older.

I'm at mupool.com hashing LTC, right now. I'll have a look at the pool you mentioned, later tonight (eating dinner right now).

I have no idea (YET) how to hash any other algorithm or use any miner other than cgminer for scrypt. Still have things to learn.

Got any links to other threads or a wiki for that Groestl algorithm? Google is my friend, but if you happen to know, you'd likely have better info than what I randomly click from Google.

LTC at ghash.io pays 1.25 and up to 2x more, as a bonus for two days.

Then the Groestl thing is pretty easy but won't work out of box with crypto slax.

You can mine scrypt at coinmine.pw which seems to be a great pool so far.

I think I have heavy and skein compiled for cryptoslax. I will test and add a how-to when I get a chance. If someone wants to pm their mining worker info for a heavy pool, I could throw a few gpu cycles your way so that I can test it.

https://github.com/reorder/cgminer_skein
Source I used for skein and heavy, (so I don't forget it.)

I could probably add this too.
https://github.com/prettyhatemachine/sph-sgminer

Short guide if anyone wants to try it:
Download the cryptoslax-dev version

Download dependencies/modules at slax.org and add to modules

692 curl
1080 xorg-cf-files
2251 automake
2390 M4
2391 libtool
2392 autoconf

download the zip from github for the algo that you want to run
make folder that you want to use
copy zip to folder
unzip zipfile

./autogen.sh --enable-skein --enable-hefty --enable-scrypt --enable-opencl

make

Then you should be able to start it up in terminal
./cgminer --skein -o server -u user -p password (.....etc.)

That should do it. Post up if it doesn't work for you with errors and I will help you. I didn't keep real good notes, if there are errors I will fix it when I get a chance to go through it again and make good notes for the guide.

Last edited:
I think think that is because of using vnc. I think if you plug a monitor in you can see temps -maybe.....

Don't think so...you export the display when running the miner.

Problem is when compiling. Pre-installed miners don't suffer from this problem, makes think it has to do with the compiling enviroment.

I didn't add the amd stuff to the included modules, perhaps that is the reason. I assumed that it was already included, I will add it and retest.

Back