• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin exchange rate discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Might do that yet. As is, it was the middle of the night and I didn't want to mess around installing new software after being out until 1:30 shooting lightning.

Edit - looks like my one day total is going to be 8 blocks, one uncle. I'll take that. Let's see if the machines can keep this up on day two.

Edit 2 - Ivan, your account unlock instructions do not work on either machine. The correct unlock command seems to be:

personal.unlockAccount("yourwalletaddress", "yourpassword")

Note the double quotes for the wallet address.

Last edited:
Might do that yet. As is, it was the middle of the night and I didn't want to mess around installing new software after being out until 1:30 shooting lightning.

Edit - looks like my one day total is going to be 8 blocks, one uncle. I'll take that. Let's see if the machines can keep this up on day two.

Edit 2 - Ivan, your account unlock instructions do not work on either machine. The correct unlock command seems to be:

personal.unlockAccount("yourwalletaddress", "yourpassword")

Note the double quotes for the wallet address.

Oooh lightning :drool:

Had a feeling that first day was pure luck... day 2 of ETH so far has only gotten three blocks, none of them from the four card machine. It's been nine hours since the six card rig found one. Difficulty is up a fair bit.

Ah well... I'm enjoying having the other three machines not mining, and this is still doing ok for me. Might toss another card into the four card rig though at this rate.

Edit - it's going to be 4 blocks for day two. I've just added another 7970 to the four card rig, so they've roughly got an equal chance at blockfinding now.

Last edited:
I'm holding a little, but selling most so I can get two more cards up and running fairly soon. Not cashing out that often though because I dislike dealing with the CLI while the machines are mining. Experimented with farm mode in geth/ethminer a bit today so all machines could mine to one wallet - couldn't get that working. Seems to be a bug not allowing connections from remote machines. Not too big a deal.

Difficulty is way up and the price down now, so I'm not sure this is more profitable than Quark anymore, which has picked up at Westhash. It's a dead tie between the two for day 4 so far. But I'll leave things running and just wait and see.

I am no longer able to send transactions from either wallet after the v1.02 geth security fix - the transactions simply time out with a "not confirmed" error. Mining is not affected.

Edit - they had a slightly newer geth, which is apparently re-downloading the whole blockchain. Will report back if this issue is fixed.

Edit 2 - issue is fixed. Make sure your geth build is updated to the latest, folks.

Last edited:
Cool, glad that you're making money with this.
I'm trading/investing and mining it.
Up 43% account so far :)

Here's my full coverage in it:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/E...me-at-mode-signal-target-not-reached-in-time/
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/E...crash-fundamental-catalysts-and-time-at-mode/

I'm allocating 30% of my BTC to it, and when it moves up 5% or more, I rebalance to go back to 30% of my BTC worth in Ethereum. Same when it drops 5% or more, I buy some more ETH until I'm at 30% of my BTC in it.
It's a good relaxed strategy for a longer term prospect trade.

Still profitable Wolf?

It was yesterday. Having some bad luck for the last 12 hours... only one block, despite filling that last slot on the upper mining rig. Need one more yet to stay ahead of Quark at Westhash.

Got 295mhs on it right now - the whole farm. Difficulty is over 5T now.

It was yesterday. Having some bad luck for the last 12 hours... only one block, despite filling that last slot on the upper mining rig. Need one more yet to stay ahead of Quark at Westhash.

Got 295mhs on it right now - the whole farm. Difficulty is over 5T now.

Damn... Seems like every miner is one this one.

Maybe switch back to other coins while their difficulty drops?

Well... overnight the rigs pulled ahead of Westhash Quark again at the higher difficulty, and have done it again already for day 9. I'm still on it as long as the rigs bring home the bacon.

I have an ethereum thread. I mined quite a bit on the pre release to get the mining rewards. I haven't had time to pull up the wallets and see if I got the rewards yet. I got 4-500 blocks if i remember correctly. They said reward would be 1/2 block in real chain for each block on the test net. I am pretty interested in ethereum and other 2.0 coins, but I have been much too busy to do anything lately. I still hold xmr, peercoin, and btc. I think that btc will rise once there is a clear path on the blocksize debate. Anyone have thoughts on that? I am not really liking the btc politics. I havent researched much, but I am not going for the xt...

Hi, I think BTC or other altcoins might rally this year. The stock market will crash again and worse than the recent #black monday, as soon as this Monday in fact.
I'm invested in both BTC and ETH, keeping a ratio of 70/30% and rebalancing on every 5% or bigger swing to maintain the BTC worth of my coins at 30% of my portfolio.
This strategy has netted me 43% of my account in profits so far. Slow and steady!
Was thinking of incorporating other coins like XMR, Dash and BTS but not too sure yet and it would complicate the managing more.

This and lending btc and alts at poloniex for steady income is a great way to trade altcoins and bitcoin without ever going back to USD, so the exchange rate is pretty much irrelevant (unless there's a calculated big move ahead, in which case I open short positions or long positions to profit from said move with 10% of my capital).
Dollar value is pretty steady and increasing slowly, so I think it works.

Decided to try lending XMR today at Poloniex just to see what that's like. Naturally, the one time cutting and pasting the transfer command stops working is when I try moving 250 XMR back into my Poloniex account for that. Ended up sending the transfer without the payment ID :bang head

Got a support ticket in - no idea if they can get that back for me. Even so, I'm glad ETH is still profitable for mining, for now. Hopefully won't take me too long to get that XMR back via mining ETH and selling it.

Those starting mining with ETH might want to go to the pools now - solo mining with small rigs isn't going to do much to get you blocks anymore. I can still get them, but they come in just slow enough that I'm in a pool now.

Edit - the XMR issue is over. Had to go through a massive log file to get the TX ID, and they credited me the missing amount. Got it listed for lending now.

Last edited:
I have thought about doing the lending, but my trust in exchanges keeping solvent for long periods of time, is low.
On a side note, I have just bought some Bitcoin, so I don't have to dive into my long term storage. I am trying out purse.io to see how much I can save on some amazon purchases.

Updated chart: https://www.tradingview.com/x/LlSoLCm2/
Seems like BTC might retest 228 this week but the monthly chart suggests we might see a rally into the 400 region again. :D
Great news since I also bought in around here.
I have been lending btc and ethereum for some risk free profits while rebalancing my portfolio regularly at poloniex. So far so good. The interest rate is very good, and I think it's the right time to be exposed to BTC and ETH.

I'm working on some BTC lending right now - seems like it's working out, but profits are slow in coming. Getting the idea I really need more than a fraction of a BTC to make full use of this idea.

ETH is still the most profitable for mining, but that's under attack from both high difficulty and low price right now. Honestly, I'd really like something easier to mine to become more profitable again. Every once in a while Ethminer just stops dead, and when I'm solo mining I often don't know it's happened for hours.

I note it has been over $300 for a couple of days now. Currently I'm seeing $324.

yap, got a positive trend there, been slowly rising for a month or so now

Man, it has been steadily climbing all morning. Up to $343 now!

Any news behind this move?

Edit, about $360 now.

Last edited:
Back