• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA775 memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P4 stuff dislikes >60°c, especially when overclocked. That'll be at least part of the problem.

I don't think there's anything in the original TR2 series that is worthwhile.
The TR2 Bronze PSUs are better.

This thing is a Conroe, different architecture than P4 I think. Though you might be right, I don't know, never messed with the Celerons.

I'm talking about a CPU heatsink, not a power supply. Though it seems they apparently labeled both their heatsinks and their PSU's as TR2.

But yeah, seemed like most Thermaltake PSU's were junk.

Last edited:
I keep doing that, too.
Conroe are better about temps, but lower would still help.

The TR2 heatsinks aren't any better than the TR2 PSUs :p
The entire TR2 line of everything was junk.

wasnt sure which multi you were using so your cpu speed could have been anything. seems like the latter celerons did better clocking wise. should be able to with the EIST function, unless the board doesnt allow this. lower the cpu multi and see how much higher you can go on the fsb. mine wasnt heat limited it just topped out at 3.2ghz, didnt matter what i did to push it higher.

I keep doing that, too.
Conroe are better about temps, but lower would still help.

The TR2 heatsinks aren't any better than the TR2 PSUs :p
The entire TR2 line of everything was junk.

Yeah, I figured the heatsink wouldn't perform that great. I just went with it for testing the motherboard because it was convenient (close by and easier to mount than my TRUE (as I would have to dig out the mounting hardware first)).

So, I wasn't expecting any miracles when I decided to try overclocking with it still on there. Wasn't too bad though, it got the CPU from 2.2GHz up to 3.3GHz with stock voltage and reasonable temperatures at idle and under load. Then to 3.4GHz with a minor voltage boost.

wasnt sure which multi you were using so your cpu speed could have been anything. seems like the latter celerons did better clocking wise. should be able to with the EIST function, unless the board doesnt allow this. lower the cpu multi and see how much higher you can go on the fsb. mine wasn't heat limited it just topped out at 3.2ghz, didn't matter what i did to push it higher.

Well, I'm at a loss. I looked everywhere in my bios, but it shows no option anywhere for changing the CPU multiplier. Which I guess means that with this Celeron it can't be changed, because I know I've changed it before with an EP45-UD3P board while using other CPU's.

I even switched the board out for my other EP45-UD3P, and it didn't have any options for the multiplier either. :shrug:

I've got one of my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme's on it now though, so heat shouldn't be a limiting factor again for a while.

Last edited:
Oh yes, temps are considerably better with the TRUE.

I'm currently maxing out at 51°C under load in Prime95 with the TRUE, whereas the Thermaltake TR2 was hitting 62°C and going no lower than 58°C.

Last edited:
It seems as if my issue with not being able to run at my memory kit's rated speed of 1066MHz may have been either board-related or memory related. (Actually it didn't even like going much past 900MHz.)

I put the CPU in another GA-EP45-UD3P with a different Crucial Ballistix .16FD3 memory kit, and in this configuration it is able to run at 1000MHz (at the very least) with 5-5-5-15 timings. It did however have the same problems I experienced with the other board, at first. The first time I fired it up after putting in the settings to the BIOS it didn't want to POST, I just got an endless boot loop with nothing on the monitor and it attempting to boot over and over and repeatedly attempting to access the hard drive and DVD drive (I was watching the activity lights). I swapped the memory sticks to opposite slots though and then it began working normally (I had stick 1 in DIMM slot 1, and stick 2 in DIMM slot 3 originally, I swapped stick 1 into slot 3 and stick 2 into slot 1).

Now it is able to get into the OS and I can see in CPU-Z's Memory tab that it is detecting all 2GB of the memory from the 2x1GB sticks.

I am now at 300MHz on the Bus Speed (FSB) for 1200MHz effective bus speed, CPU is at 3.3GHz with 11x multiplier, and memory is running at 500MHz (1000MHz effective speed).

Back