• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 270X or R9 280 OR R9 280X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Denyingchaos

Registered
Hello again. I finally got to the point of the graphics card and PSU (for a later thread) upgrade. I am a little confused I am slightly torn between the three cards. I mean you can get a 270x for about 200 bucks, up it to a 384 bit 280 for 40 to 60 more depending, and for a few bucks more then that around 300 hit off a 280x. So Iam wondering is it worth price wise to go ahead with a 280 or even 280x compared to the 4 gig version of the 270x? I am trying to stay future proof as the wife is not happy about my "upgrades". She is a firm believer in if its not broke why mess with it. Just a thought though. I will probably never go more then one monitor, I do game but with work not as much, but when I do I like to go all out with my settings with no lag or hiccups. not sure if that will help you all help me, but I'm not to picky. Also what brands? Thanks in advance for the help.

+1, I'd reccomend a 280 or 280x for 1080p gaming and all around compute tasks. ;)

I've had a 7950, 7970/280x (in 1x,2x,3x configs), r9 270 and an r9 290.
The 290 is overkill, the 270 falls a bit short for 1080p gaming but is not too bad, 4gb is useless unless you use it to mine (and even then it's not worth it atm).

Beleive me If I could afford it a 290 would be in the mix :). But from what I have been reading the R series are just rebrands from the 7 series of HD am I correct in sayng this? Like the 270 and 270x are rebranded 7870 and 7850 respectivly. That would mean that the 280 and the 280x are rebranded 7950 and 7970s. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have owned 6870, and a 7870 and it did pretty good for me till I re into an issue and was forced to sell. But if thats what a 270x wil give me I'm thinking if I cant shell out the extra cash for the higher it may work. Besides, I can always get another card. Thanks again

But from what I have been reading the R series are just rebrands from the 7 series of HD am I correct in saying this? Like the 270 and 270x are rebranded 7870 and 7850 respectivly. That would mean that the 280 and the 280x are rebranded 7950 and 7970s

Yes they are pretty much the same

Yes they are pretty much the same

Thank you. I try not to beleive everything I read unless I ask first hand, but this just makes it that much easier for me now that I really know. If I can itll be a 280x if not itll be a 270x 4gig version

Proof is in the pudding, here's a review on an early XFX 280x, if you look at the screen shots of the PCB it says 797AXXCB on it.

YEa I figured that as well. I wonder when the new gen of cards will be out? Not just more reworks and rebrands.

YEa I figured that as well. I wonder when the new gen of cards will be out? Not just more reworks and rebrands.

There are always reused GPUs in a new generation.
There's no reason to engineer a full lineup for every generational transition.

Thats true to, but if I already owed a 7 series and wanted to upgrade honestly I would feel like it was a waste of cash currently. But seeing as what I have now, I just want to make sure that my upgrade will last me a few years. Its been know for me to buy upgrades and then it'll be like "lets drop a whole new line". I do try to keep up with the new but I also like to make sure if I can't then I will like ot make sure it will last through a few rebrands and reworks.

Thats true to, but if I already owed a 7 series and wanted to upgrade honestly I would feel like it was a waste of cash currently. But seeing as what I have now, I just want to make sure that my upgrade will last me a few years. Its been know for me to buy upgrades and then it'll be like "lets drop a whole new line". I do try to keep up with the new but I also like to make sure if I can't then I will like ot make sure it will last through a few rebrands and reworks.

But going from a 780 to an 880 would be a whole new architecture.
Going from a 770 to an 870 will (most likely) be a new architecture also.

I fail to see the issue here.

Back