• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hangings, freezings; slow startups....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gokul MR

hey guys, i'm experiencing certain problems on my laptop. it takes time to launch a particular program when i open it. it recently started happening.

before this, there were problem with opening games. in some games, when i open or close, the screen goes black and I've to force hard shut down (by holding the power button fro some time).

i recently updated my video driver; thought that might be the problem. so i uninstalled it and installed it again. it solved the issues for some time and it started again.

so i re-installed win 7 all over again. but the problem is still there.

also, installed a 2 gb ram few months back (earlier it was 3 gb). both the ram modules are of different brands, but the laptop was working fine.

i'm not getting any bsod.

i've tried using ccleaner. but no use.

i'm doubting that since the problem is still there even after re installing the os, will it be a hardware problem??? i scanned my hard disc using hdtune, and found no error. is the laptop dying??

my system specs:

Lenovo g 570

4gb ram ( originally 3gb)
2nd gen core i3 2350m; 2.3 ghz dual core
intel hd 3000 graphics

Yu are not supposed to mix and match ram... that may be the problem there...

You can try a different driver instead of reinstalling the same one.

Yu are not supposed to mix and match ram... that may be the problem there...

You can try a different driver instead of reinstalling the same one.

I tried. I installed,the old driver again today. After reinstalling win7,I installed the the latest video driver. Then I tried running a program, then came the usual security question by windows, I clicked yes and boom, the screen went black. Then I reinstalled an old driver. I tried launching same program, so far, its working fine. But programs still have the lag. I'll try installing the older ram and will check if that helps.

Welcome to the forums, if all else fails, connect external hard drive to your laptop, backup all personal data to it, then restore everything to factory settings from your hidden partition image.

I would also use only the original RAM to test if that solves your problem.

It's unlikely the problem will be there when you revert to factory state.

I bought a laptop for my mom last summer. I imaged the OS partition into drive image files before I even turned it on. Then I partition the hard drive, got rid of bloatware and set every program on it just like I want it to be. Then made a second set of drive image files.

I've had to reimage from those files a couple of times. It takes time and effort to do this but the time is a fraction of the time when, that is *when* not IF things go down and we can't figure out why...

P.S. Just for kicks make a bootable USB or CD/DVD of memtest and run it by booting directly from memtest media to test RAM you already have in there.

Attachments

• Memtest86+ 5.01.zip
    178.3 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forums, if all else fails, connect external hard drive to your laptop, backup all personal data to it, then restore everything to factory settings from your hidden partition image.

I would also use only the original RAM to test if that solves your problem.

It's unlikely the problem will be there when you revert to factory state.

I bought a laptop for my mom last summer. I imaged the OS partition into drive image files before I even turned it on. Then I partition the hard drive, got rid of bloatware and set every program on it just like I want it to be. Then made a second set of drive image files.

I've had to reimage from those files a couple of times. It takes time and effort to do this but the time is a fraction of the time when, that is *when* not IF things go down and we can't figure out why...

P.S. Just for kicks make a bootable USB or CD/DVD of memtest and run it by booting directly from memtest media to test RAM you already have in there.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try these and will update you guys ��

hi guys, sorry for the delayed reply. i've uninstalled the drivers related to video and used another one. seems like its not the problem. but, after installing all the windows update, i think, the problems are solved a bit. even i removed the 2 gb ram and installed the old 1 gb which was originally supplied with the laptop. so far, no blackouts while opening or closing programs. but the startup is taking a bit long. it is taking around a minute or more to load all programs. even the gadgets i use on the desktop takes some time to load (it was not the case before. it loaded quickly as the windows displays the desktop. earlier all it needed was less than 30 seconds.)

not sure what is happening. might be some internal component failure????

Thanks for the support and suggestions so far guys :thup::thup:

Back