• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R7 260x Artifacts / Flickering / Stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanker

Registered
Good morning / afternoon / evening friends,

I bought a new video card recently (R7 xfx 260x 2 gb) and on their first test (BF 4 - with preset high) appeared some green dots on the screen (Artifacts)

Strange fact is, i ran OCCT error check mode and 0 errors found, and when i ran GPUTOOL it show the same artifacts that appear in BF4

Ps: Running BF4 and alt-tabbing to desktop gives me flickering / stuttering desk :/.
Ps2: Stock clocks. Never thought about Oc on this one.

So,

Quickly researched and found the following possible problems:

- Overheating;

- Drivers;

- Weak power source;

- Defective Hardware;

Isn't heating, since the maximum temp reached was 64.

Drivers are properly updated (clean install & 3 different versions was used).

Source is what I'm betting (although i read in other forum some guy with 450w working perfectly) , I've a Dr. Hank 500 W and the required by this card is just the one i have, but from what I've been reading, the lack of energy would only increase the card's temperature. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance', if you need more specs just ask.

Last edited:
Mainboard : Asus M4A87TD/USB3
Memory : 8192MBDDR3-SDRAM
Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3200MHz
Video Card: R7 260x XFX 2GB DDR5
PSU : 500w Dr.Hank

That's all, i guess.

Try different drivers or reinstalling the same.

The card is VERY low powered itself... to the tune of 115W. What you are reading is a recommendation for the entire SYSTEM.

The 'lack of energy' will not increase temps on the card...

That said, I have never heard of a "Dr. Hank" branded PSU... and to that end, it is likely a gigantic hunk of garbage that likely can't put out 500W. Can you post a screenshot of the label that shows how the power is distributed?

EDIT: Just saw your entire PC... let's get that PSU sticker pic ASAP. I don't think its your problem, but if its crap, you need to upgrade it as soon as you can afford to.

For PSU issues, it works or it doesn't. There really isn't a 'brown out' type of stage where stuff goes wonky. Its on, or its off.

EDIT: Looks like an older spec PSU with so much power on the 3.3/5v rails. But if you look it says 150W max on those rails, which leaves around 350W for the 12v rail... at stock, IF it can output 350W on 12v, you should be fine...

That said, that thing needs replaced.

I just bought that video card :/, i'm gonna send back for a new one :D.

Anyway, thanks for the fast reply guys... im gonna send back like i've said and when i got a new one, i'll post here.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Again, reinstall the drivers and/or try new... you don't know if the card is bad or not!!!

Last edited:
Just as a note, I would grab a known-good PSU as soon as you can. It's probably not the problem in this case, but any PSU that says "real" on it in related to wattage makes me very nervous.
It may be a fantastic PSU, I have no idea.

It's a Brazilian brand, well known around here...

i won't say that is like a corsair but.... is not THAAAT bad either.

Yeah I found a review by a guy I know is good at his job, in Portuguese. It looks like a pretty decent PSU with pretty lousy capacitors.
Until those go, it'll do the job just fine.

Thanks for telling us. :shrug: :clap:
I'll edit my first post.

Anyways, i just packed all up and sent back.

Soon as i get an answer I'll let you guys know.

I really think that is the video card, but in the other hand.... Brand new card out of the box with artifacts?

I even bought new cables, hoping that this would solve the problem.

I've heard that it's hit and miss with XFX cards...

At least for mining anyway.
Though I expect it to be hit and miss with gaming too.

For PSU issues, it works or it doesn't. There really isn't a 'brown out' type of stage where stuff goes wonky. Its on, or its off.

EDIT: Looks like an older spec PSU with so much power on the 3.3/5v rails. But if you look it says 150W max on those rails, which leaves around 350W for the 12v rail... at stock, IF it can output 350W on 12v, you should be fine...

That said, that thing needs replaced.

There is a brown stage. My cousin had a no-name psu in his old x2 6000+ rig....after 2 years his vid card started to really heat up and was always crashing, replaced it with a CM psu without cleaning the card itself and it magically worked like new....:thup:

If the psu is putting out high, terribly ripple filed, voltage, it can cause all sorts of interesting issues.

If the psu is putting out high, terribly ripple filed, voltage, it can cause all sorts of interesting issues.
If that was the case, it would happen with any cards, no?

I have my old HD 5770 overclocked, and this ***** works like a charm.

Ps: HD 5770 has a TDP of 108w ;)

Not necessarily, GPUs have input filters that smooth out some of the ripple. Every GPU has a different filter, so some are better at smoothing different frequencies than others.

Back