• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air flow blockage from case fan panel mesh?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

How much blockage of air flow through a water loop radiator do you suppose the top panel mesh creates in the average case when the rad is mounted on the inside? Anybody seen any actual tests done on this?

Hard to test with any degree of consistency, just too many different mesh designs out there.

:pics:

In all seriousness though it would probably help a great deal if you did post pictures to show the mesh and layout in question if possible.

Well, most of the times most will use a filter or install one. I am guessing a case with a design filter with no mesh versus a case with a 3rd party filter involved with the mesh will be more restrictive is my guess. As for standard mesh, as previously stated each case has a different mesh design. I feel that since there really are not tests done for this makes me think it isn't important enough or if it does impede performance, it would have been done. With that said, the focus would be on the fans and their static pressure. If its a good/premium fan, I don't think it should matter. But nonetheless you provided a great question that got me curious as well.

you list the NZXT Source 530 as your case in your sig ........ If so then I wouldn't worry about the mesh restricting your air flow. Some cases like the Corsair 600T can be very restricted through the front mesh though.

source.png

Last edited:
Yeah, its pretty large honeycomb.. Though there is likely some restriction, its not much (to worry about) at all.

With that said, the focus would be on the fans and their static pressure. If its a good/premium fan, I don't think it should matter.

Bingo.

The Delta AFC1212D-PWM fans in my H2O3 build are a tornado with or without the fan grill and dust filter in front of them.
Even on 20% PWM.

The fan mesh in the NZXT Source 530 is not as bad as in some cases I've had but not as good as others. It still looks like drilled holes as opposed to expanded metal if you know what I mean. I'm guessing the openings at about 25-30% and the metal surrounding them at about 70-75% of the diameter of each hole or of the total area of the mesh, if that makes any sense. I should measure and get a more exact figure.

I would imagine, by looking at the image posted earlier in the thread of your case, that there is ~75% flow through there with 25% blocked. Clearly, nothing in the way would be better... but to what end? 1C? 2C?

There are bigger fish to fry IMO. Even id you do get '25% more flow', it may not help much at all. ;)

So actual measurement shows the solid material between the holes to be 40% the size of the holes in the top panel fan mesh of my case.

ED, you are correct I'm sure, about the small impact. I have found that using an AIO water cooler on an open air test bench gives only about 2c lower temps than when it is installed in the case. And part of that I'm sure has to do with the higher air temps inside the case rather than the fan mesh restriction. But it seems that is the case with many other variables in my limited experience in water cooling and all of that has been with AIO systems. For instance, going with better fans makes 1-2c difference. The only single change that seems to make much difference is going to a bigger radiator. But I guess it is also true that several 1-2c changes add up.

They may not compound either (the changes). At some point you get past the point of environmental variables (within reason) effecting things. Then its just how fast the heatsink can get it off the IHS. Nothing you can do about that all other things remaining the same (TIM application/mounting pressure).

Good case, I have it too. I opted for air cooling only. I removed all of the cages except one for a 3.5 HDD.

I have the following fans:
Thermaltake NiC C5 - CPU Tower & Push / Pull 120mm Fans
BitFenix Spectre Pro 140MM - 2x Front, 2x Top, 1x Rear
BitFenix Spectre Pro 120MM - 2x Bottom
EVERCOOL SB-F1 - 1x Placed 2 PCI expansion slots below my GPU

I notice no notable resistance on the mesh. The filter screens probably do more than the meshwork.

It's not an issue one way or the other anymore. I cut out the mesh and put the rad on the top side. Made no discernible temp difference though and neither have any of my other mods, really. I think the system was already pretty much at max efficiency with regard to what the IHS can pass on to it.

actually, you should ask Doyll.. he did some calculations....
...and has been looking for suitable "chicken-wire" to replace the mesh on his case(s) ever since :)

However, i have some recollection from somebody doing some testing* (anand? Toms?) on fan grills & such .. and the conclusion was that the "best" thing was your run-of-the-mill $ 0.99 wire grill.... the least obstruction, the best noise profile.

120cgrill-500x500.jpg

This should not come as a surprise, since any industry that has a need for fans kinda defaults to that design... and it has nothing to do with lack of imagination, but rather engineers working out (also long time ago) what the most effective design was and turning it into a ISO standard, while the beancounters were asking what the cheapest design was.

Which is why you wont see things like this in any industrial application (except maybe in Hollywoodproductions)
ux_a08031200ux0064_ux_c.jpg

As for mesh... apparently the octagonal design is the best.. if them "holes" are not too smal

600T_top_grill_case_mod_modders_mesh8.jpg

* Note: this testing occurred inbetween slaying dinosaurs, it was that long ago...

PS: if you look for it hard enough, you'll find somebody claiming that "Dell came up with the octagonal mesh for the intakes as it creates such a specific turbulence pattern in the case so they only needed an exhaust fan in those Dell cases".

As for the thruth of that statement...:
wis-weather.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah! Chicken wire and duct tape are good for a lot of things.

Doyle?

Yeah! Chicken wire and duct tape are good for a lot of things.

Doyle?

doyll tends to be active on "the other board".. but i think he passes-by here every now and then.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/member.php?u=118950

Or, you could ask some of the other old-timers.. Conundrum , diggrr.... and such... i'm sure if we combine our failing memories we'll come up with some verifiable source :)

Good pics of the mesh. My top mesh was elactly like the one on the far left which is clearly more restrictive than the octagonal design (what I referred to earlier as "expanded metal" mesh )next to it.

Back