• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help with router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I bought a Linksys EA3500 router a few months back. I have been having problems with DL speeds not being up to what they are supposed to be. I actually chatted with Comcast and they said that I had never been upgraded when I got faster service, and so they did. Speeds went up to 50 or more, great right? A few days later they went back down, on a hunch I wired it straight to the computer from the modem and it is working at over 50 mbs like it should as well as using IPV6 connection, which is faster.

Chatted with Linksys and was told I only had 90 days of support so that's a no go. Not only is it cutting my DL speeds in half but I am not getting IPV6 connection. I have no idea about routers beyond that fact that I need one, so I don't know what settings need to be changed. Is there anyone who can help with setting or the IPV6 connection?

There have been no firmware updates for at least a year before I purchased it, the only thing that I setup was the wireless password. I can reset the router but since I have changed nothing I don't think it will help.

start with a firmware update, obvious first choice IMO.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that no firmware updates have been released since 2012, long before I purchased it. In fact I can find no firmware at all except what is already on it. I can find so very little about this router that I can't even figure out what could possibly be wrong with the settings.

Just a quick search (so nothing definitive), have you tried disabling WMM under the QOS settings?

My only other suggestion is to just bin it and go with a better model (and brand), or if you have a spare computer laying round, turn it into a router. For IPv6, you'll need a router that supports it natively, and I can't find any info on that particular model supporting it.

Hey, thanks for trying, I'm not even sure that it has that setting anywhere. I did manage to get it sorted once I was able to actually view the configuration pages, seems it doesn't even support IE11. What a joke, I did find a way around it by hitting F12 and emulating IE10 in the dropdown boxes. It appears that after a while it just hoses all of the setting that were there to begin with, so I found a page where I could nuke the entire configuration and reinstall the software, which detects most of the settings on it's own and at least fills most of the boxes. I was able to finish it up with just a few more hours reading the pages of other routers and what the settings did, wow there is a lot of useless stuff I don't know anything about.

Back