• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 280 did/would you choose, and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sammich

Hey guys, just wondering which 280 you chose, and why you chose it. I was looking into XFX before I found out about the VRAM overheating issues with the card. Now I'm looking at Asus DirectCU cards, but apparently those aren't as popular as I thought.

What other great 280s are out there?

Bonus Question:

Is a single 280 enough to play most upcoming games on High-Ultra settings at 1080p for the next few years? I was looking at the Vapor 290 but internet friends have been trying to convince me that the 290 is overkill for a single 1080p display.

Thanks!

I would go with a Sappire vapor x 290 oc if you want to be able to play the new games for a while.

I bought two used 280x from fleabay. I got the Saphire brand toxic line. I chose them because of the third party cooling system and the factory OC. I also got a good price as they are used. $190/ea with retail boxes and parts.

One reason that I like the factory OC is that I feel that I can underclock and undervolt during the high heat of summer and run them at full speed during the cold of winter. The third party cooling hopefully keeps the cards cooler with less noise.

I would look at a 280X minimum in this day and time.
Especially if you're buying used.

I would look at a 280X minimum in this day and time.
Especially if you're buying used.
Exactly.

a 290 may be a bit of overkill on 1080p... but hey, get the best you can afford is my take... especially if you plan on sitting on the same GPU for a while.

Exactly.

a 290 may be a bit of overkill on 1080p... but hey, get the best you can afford is my take... especially if you plan on sitting on the same GPU for a while.

And if he's looking at the 280, my guess is that's what he can afford. Is there a better card, NEW, in the $200-250 range? Not all of us like to go to eBay and buy a used piece of $500 computer hardware with little or no warranty or return protection.

And if he's looking at the 280, my guess is that's what he can afford. Is there a better card, NEW, in the $200-250 range? Not all of us like to go to eBay and buy a used piece of $500 computer hardware with little or no warranty or return protection.

He said he's been looking at the 290, so he has the budget for a 280X easily.

Back