• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sambo

Hi all,

I have a problem and hopefully somebody help!

Recently there has been a horrible fishy smell coming from my PC - It doesnt happen straight away, it only happens when the rig has been under stress for afew hours. In addition the pc is only like 10 months old.

Its a rancid smell but I cant quite pinpoint where or why.

Ive had a look inside (with my novice eyes) and I cant see any scorch marks or other tell tale signs something is wrong.

Here is my info.

4.00 gigahertz AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0

ATAPI iHAS124 E SATA CdRom Device [Optical drive]

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n X3UL605NS, rev MS2OA750, SMART Status: Healthy

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

If you need to know anything else let me know.

Cheers
Sambo

4.00 gigahertz AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core - GTX 760 Phantom 4GB - Corsair VS450 PSU - 2 x 4gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD Socket AM3+

I would try disconnecting all of the components from the PSU and try Jumpstarting it. Just to see if that will recreate the issue.

It's probably the vrms on the board. You need a better board. Only 4+2 phase on that thing.

Bottom line is, your gonna cook that board. That's what you smell. It's already on it's way.

the m5a97's are quad core boards, but jumpstart the psu and give that a smell first.

my dear departed m5a97 R2.0 was a disaster when paired with an fx 4170, turned right to heaven with a 965, ran all the way into the 4.5's with that, but I got a little goieness with the vcore and popped it all.

I'd be concerned about cooking both the motherboard and the PSU. They are both inadequate for the load you are putting on them.

Hi all,

Since my original post I have paid a visit to a very well know PC warranty repair company. The guy took me into the back and we took my PC apart.

There was a little dust on the various components. The CPU fan and PSU vent in particular had a lining of dust but nothing major.

The guy told me that some dust can give off a fishy smell when heated up. In disbelief I put his theory to the test!

I purchased a Gaming Gear pack of 300ml Compressed Air Duster and wipes (£9.99). I held my vacuum cleaner over the PC (not too close) and used the compressed air to dislodge any dust etc etc - I left my PC for 1 hour with the back open to let any vapour evaporate from the moisture in the compressed air canister.

Since then I haven't had any fishy smell at all :)

It just goes to show that the simplest explanation is sometimes the best!

Cheers for your suggestions
Sambo

Hi all,

Since my original post I have paid a visit to a very well know PC warranty repair company. The guy took me into the back and we took my PC apart.

There was a little dust on the various components. The CPU fan and PSU vent in particular had a lining of dust but nothing major.

The guy told me that some dust can give off a fishy smell when heated up. In disbelief I put his theory to the test!

I purchased a Gaming Gear pack of 300ml Compressed Air Duster and wipes (£9.99). I held my vacuum cleaner over the PC (not too close) and used the compressed air to dislodge any dust etc etc - I left my PC for 1 hour with the back open to let any vapour evaporate from the moisture in the compressed air canister.

Since then I haven't had any fishy smell at all :)

It just goes to show that the simplest explanation is sometimes the best!

Cheers for your suggestions
Sambo

Well that is good that it wasn't actually something that was in need of replacement, I would still monitor it and see if it does come back. Also this would be a good time to purchase fan filters! I prefer the DEMCiflex brand myself as they are magnetic and have an extremely fine mesh for filtering out dust and other particulates. If you are interested in these Here is a link for you.

Whether you can smell them cooking or not, the VRMs on your board are going to cook at some point. You've put an 8 phase+ CPU on a 4 phase board. She's not going to make it Captain. Upgrade to an ASUS M5A99FX. Do yourself a favor. Awesome board. Decent price.

Your motherboard will fail in the next 6-12 months with that CPU beating on the vrm section so just be ready for that and hope that the motherboard doesn't take anything else with it when it blows. When it does blow, get a quality 8+phase board to replace it.

Back