• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constantly Freezing during games - AMD FX-6300 Six-Core machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcb

Hi, I've been trying to figure this problem out for a few weeks now and any help would be greatly appreciated:

Things I've tried so far:
  • Trying each memory stick individually to see if it was a bad RAM stick
  • Updating the motherboard bios
  • Using a different graphics card
  • Removing and re-securing the cpu fan and insuring there was thermal paste underneath it.

It still locks up during games during after trying all the above. By locking up, I mean the screen freezes, still displays everything, but the box is unresponsive so I have to restart it. I'm using an LEPA n500 power suppy and I have two hard drives, an ssd for the OS and a secondary 2 TB drive for games and media. (see below). I'm not sure what else to try.

HWMonitor:
3.50 gigahertz AMD FX-6300 Six-Core
288 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Hyper-threaded (6 total)

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2501 04/09/2014

RAM: XMS3 1600mhz 2x8GB

Samsung SSD 840 Series [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, rev DXT06B0Q, SMART Status: Healthy
ST2000DM001-1CH164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 1, rev CC24, SMART Status: Healthy

AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series [Display adapter]

At time 16 GB of ram and certain brands can cause some issues. I would suggest setting the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25v manually and CPU_NB LLC to high. Also put an extra .05v to the ram and see if this clears up. Have you set the ram up manually?

I will try this shortly, I've never changed my ram voltage before, but I'm of course using the UEFI bios so I'll look to change it there.

On a side note, I tried each stick of RAM separately and it still froze, seemingly faster than usual.

At time 16 GB of ram and certain brands can cause some issues. I would suggest setting the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25v manually and CPU_NB LLC to high. Also put an extra .05v to the ram and see if this clears up. Have you set the ram up manually?

I will try this shortly, I've never changed my ram voltage before, but I'm of course using the UEFI bios so I'll look to change it there.

On a side note, I tried each stick of RAM separately and it still froze, seemingly faster than usual.

I have to ask what you are using if you're not using bios for changes. If you have AISuite installed that could be your problem right there.It's quite a buggy piece of software.

Also, what the ram voltage is set to in the BIOS and what the VRM's put out may be a tad off, for exp: BIOS is set to 1.5V and VRM's put out 1.46V so the BIOS will need to be set a bit higher.
I have 2 systems that I've had to bump the voltage up a bit to read 1.5V.

I just mean that my machine uses EUFI bios, but I haven't used it (or any other program) to change my RAM voltages before. I will go through the bios to change the RAM voltages and report back. My other concern was the power supply, since it's kinda a cheap-o one, but it is 500v.

I have to ask what you are using if you're not using bios for changes. If you have AISuite installed that could be your problem right there.It's quite a buggy piece of software.

I just got me a new FX6300 and board and was having the same prob. turns out my GF660 was dying but showed no probs on my old setup, guess the new hotness was too much for it. :( slapped in an old GF460 I had layin around and no probs since..

I just mean that my machine uses EUFI bios, but I haven't used it (or any other program) to change my RAM voltages before. I will go through the bios to change the RAM voltages and report back. My other concern was the power supply, since it's kinda a cheap-o one, but it is 500v.

Don't you mean 500W? not "v", 500v will fry your MB and anything pluged in it :rofl:

Don't you mean 500W? not "v", 500v will fry your MB and anything pluged in it :rofl:

yes, 500W I mean.

Update:

I removed the mobo and cpu, and video card and tried them a different box, and everything works fine. This basically rules everything out except:
  • The power supply
  • The SSD

I'll move forward from here and see if I can just re-purpose the SSD for something else.

Or possibly lower temps due to better ventilation in the new case. One thing we do not know is what your temps were like when you were having this instability problem.

yes, 500W I mean.

Update:

I removed the mobo and cpu, and video card and tried them a different box, and everything works fine. This basically rules everything out except:
  • The power supply
  • The SSD

I'll move forward from here and see if I can just re-purpose the SSD for something else.

Power supply, 1 of my PC's started shuting down today, I have to turn off the outlet strip it's pluged in for a min or 2 then turn on again and PC powers up, but son as I load it, pop it shuts down.
This has happened before to me and it was the power supply.
I assume your PSU is old? If so then it's the PSU.

Back