• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking FX 4170 - GA-M68MT-S2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SKULL

Registered
Hello

I use to have this pc running at 4.2ghz (turbo boost) had some issues with games crashing and after looking i find AMD said to update to the most upto date bios to fix the issues, well i flashed my bios to the most upto date bios and bios fixed all game crashes but now my pc is showing as a 2.8ghz even with turbo boost running.

I need my pc back to 4.2ghz or better with overclocking.

Please help i have never done overclocking or know how to do it.

PC Specs below

MOBO > AMD FX-4170 - Gigabyte M68MT-S2 (rev. 3.1) v FC
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX - 4170 Quad Core Processer (AMD Bulldozer FX 4170 4.2ghz 8mb Cache)
MEMORY > 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory - Patriot Memory
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair CX750M - 750 WATT
VIDEO CARD > Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5
HDDs/Optical drives > 1tb Sata Hard Drive
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard i think
O/S > Win 7 64bit
Case > Galaxy 3 Gamers Style Midi Tower Case

You should always clear the CMOS after a bios flash to setup all defaults. RTM about clearing CMOS and do so. It could be the easiest fix ever accomplished.
RGone..

You should always clear the CMOS after a bios flash to setup all defaults. RTM about clearing CMOS and do so. It could be the easiest fix ever accomplished.
RGone..

How do i do that ?

Check your manual.It will tell you where to locate the jumper for that

There is a jumper on the motherboard for this. Usually it bridges pins one and two in default position and usually it is located near the flat round battery on the motherboard. To clear the CMOS you move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 over to pins 2 and 3 and leave it for a few seconds before moving it back. Consult your manual for specifics in relation to your motherboard. Caution: Before moving the jumper, power down and unplug the PSU from the wall socket. Make sure you return the jumper to default position before restoring power.

So i have to go into the case to do it i can not do it from the bios settings?

Pull the side panel off and look for the battery. The CMOS jumper is usually located next to it. Then jump it over for a good 30-60 seconds and return to original pins.

I hate the boards that put the darn jumper under the video card. Gotta pull the darn card too.... Your's should be next to the pci-e 1x slot second one down.

Ok will take a look and get back to you , i take it after doing that it , i will have to flash the bios to updated one again or not?

Ok so i powered off , undid the case , unpluged all leads , turned psu switch off to be safe.

Used a pair of metal scissors and put the metal scissors on the two pins for about 10 seconds as it says in the manual.

Turn PC back on to to find it said..

CMOS Checksum Error Defalts Loaded .. Press F1 To Continue

So im guessing i reset the CMOS settings

I get back on and check from control panle sytem settings and on CPU-Z to find im still running at 2.8GHz

Also looks like i still have (rev. 3.1) v FC

Did check to see if Core Performance Boost was Enabled and it is Enabled.
Also i see Noraml CPU Vcore is at 1.2375v - Don't know if thats what issue is?

According to the Giga website, it looks like that board you have is mATX with a very dated Nvidia chipset on it.

It looks as if it is a 3 +1 VRM circuited mobo and actually am amazed that something has not happened already with you pushing it with an overclock.

The Gigabutt site said to flash to bios FC to support FX processors and it appears from what you write that you have been using FX at 4.2Ghz with a non-supporting bios. You may have to flash back to the previous bios to again see the same speeds. Who knows? I do not remember any user in the AMD Cpu or Mobo section coming in with that mobo.

You might hit on a little more knowledge at the Giga forum if they have one. How yours is acting is strange and off the wall and on a board with an old Nvidia chipset.
RGone...

Clearing the CMOS does not totally remove a bios version. It simply sets all the programmable values back to default. Flashing the bios on the other hand is what you do to upgrade to a newer (or previous, for that matter) version.

According to the Giga website, it looks like that board you have is mATX with a very dated Nvidia chipset on it.

It looks as if it is a 3 +1 VRM circuited mobo and actually am amazed that something has not happened already with you pushing it with an overclock.

The Gigabutt site said to flash to bios FC to support FX processors and it appears from what you write that you have been using FX at 4.2Ghz with a non-supporting bios. You may have to flash back to the previous bios to again see the same speeds. Who knows? I do not remember any user in the AMD Cpu or Mobo section coming in with that mobo.

You might hit on a little more knowledge at the Giga forum if they have one. How yours is acting is strange and off the wall and on a board with an old Nvidia chipset.
RGone...

Well when i first got the PC its was on rev 3.1 @4.2ghz and for about 6 months without issues, but i needed to updae the bios to fix game crashes , after i updated it went to 2.8ghz.

I can go back to a old bios but when i do go back down a bios update it dos run on 4.2ghz but it kicks up a lot of noise , but seems to run ok , apart from some game do not work.

So is this ment to be at 4.2ghz like how it was when i brought this pc?
Will the motherboard not support 4.2ghz on the most updated bios?
Can it not be overclocked to be 4.2ghz?

If you have been overextending the board for a time it could be you have caused some of the components to become weaker, degradation. That board was not made to do what you are trying to do with it.

Let us see if we can be MOST CLEAR...

most clear in answering two of your questions.
Q #1. >> Will the motherboard not support 4.2ghz on the most updated bios?
A #1. >> Maybe not. We have never seen a user with that cheap board and an FX processor in the forums. So we really have no idea what the bios flash may have changed. I can believe it entirely possible that Giga changed the bios "they say" supports FX processors, to slow the cpu clock to 'save' the mobo from high current drawing FX processors. Maybe and maybe not. Never have seen one of those boards and would not use my money to get one for an FX processsor since I would always wonder when a mosfet might catch on fire due to heavy draw of FX processor.

Q #2. >>Can it not be overclocked to be 4.2ghz?
A #2. >> Very straight forward speaking, maybe and maybe not. I doubt that I would and leave the board unattended when I was not close by in case of problems with overheat if pushed to 4.2Ghz like most of us in here overclock which would be with ALL cores on ALL the time and that is not how AMD designed that FX-4170 to function. I suggested that you see if that board had a following of users in a Giga forum since actual users are those I want to normally coach me with my boards and other parts. You could g00gle that mother board by model and add the phrase "overclock" to the end of the search terms and see what shows up. I mean if they are overclocking the board...well they are doing something similar to what you want to do.

OR if that search shows nothing (my suspicion) you can take good, clear pictures of the bios in the area where 1.) cpu speed is adjusted. 2.) cpu voltage is adjusted. 3.) Cpu_NB is adjusted and its' voltage. 4.) where the memory speed is adjusted to the speed of the processor. 5. where C1/E, TurboCore, C6 and Cool N Quiet maybe adjustable. It might take multiple images of the same page if the page has to be scrolled-down to see the settings at the bottom of the menu page.

WE try and help all people, even those with boards we have never seen, but for boards we have never seen...the user has to get us good clear bios pics so we can see what they see for choices. Without good clear pics, we might as well be trying to adjust a satellite from our desks.

Good luck man.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
how to overclock GA-M68MT-S2 << those are the words in a g00gle search I just did.
https://www.google.com/search?compl...0..0.0....0...1c.1j2.32.hp..0.0.0.9odyCEG7iOs
Above is the link to that search page. The very first group of hits reads like this:
Search Results

Gigabyte ga-m68mt-s2 won\'t overclock [Solved] - Gigabyte ...
www.tomshardware.com › Forum › Motherboards‎
Jan 14, 2012 - 20 posts - ‎2 authors
Tried various settings can't get amd fx4100 to overclock. Any help would be appreciated.

Help overclocking amd fx 4100 on GA-M68MT-S2 ...
4 posts
Apr 15, 2012

[edited] GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+ can't overclock cpu ...
2 posts
Jan 5, 2012

Help! I cant OC my Athlon II X2 250 - Chipsets ...
14 posts
May 17, 2011

GA-M68MT-S2 vs M4N68T-M V2: Core unlocking?
7 posts
Mar 30, 2011

The third HIT on that page as of a few mins ago is a video of how to overclock that mobo shown on Utube. No idea of the video's value since I have no idea of the bios on that mobo. But there are some places for you to investigate to see if you can get more than 2.8Ghz from your mobo on bios FC.
END EDIT.
RGone...again.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replys above , im gonna take it as its a old baord and to be honest i do not feel like the new bios is able to over clock or should be over clocked.

So here is what i am looking at getting

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/#overview

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-...-s-am3plus-35ghz-16mb-total-cache-125w-retail

Now are the above abel to support over clock , more than the 4ghz turbo boost it says?
Would the above be good for gaming or would i look into better?

Or these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z87M-Ga...id=1388911563&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+Z87M-GAMING

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-...k-44ghz-turbo-47ghz-4mb-x2-l2-cache-8mb-l3-ca
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-...-s-am3plus-40ghz-16mb-total-cache-125w-retail

Looking for somthing that will last at lest 2 -3 years and will run all new games, i know my PC runs BF4 on ultra settings at the moment , but can not stream and play at the same time with BF4.

Last edited:
We do not recommend that cheap board for 8 core FX processors and overclock at all. There have to be at least 3 variants of that mobo in this forum section right now in various stages of trying to overclock and widely varying results.

Known to work for just about any overclock with the 'best' water cooling you can find are the:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board.
Asus CrosshairV-z board. More bells and whistles than most ever need.
Asrock 990FX EXT9 motherboard.

For moderate overclocks 4.5Ghz or less:
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus M5A97 EVO lesser 970 chipset.
Asrock 990FX Extreme4

ANY overclock of an 8 core FX processor is going to uber more successful on good water-cooling for certain.
RGone...ster.

We do not recommend that cheap board for 8 core FX processors and overclock at all. There have to be at least 3 variants of that mobo in this forum section right now in various stages of trying to overclock and widely varying results.

Known to work for just about any overclock with the 'best' water cooling you can find are the:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board.
Asus CrosshairV-z board. More bells and whistles than most ever need.
Asrock 990FX EXT9 motherboard.

For moderate overclocks 4.5Ghz or less:
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus M5A97 EVO lesser 970 chipset.
Asrock 990FX Extreme4

ANY overclock of an 8 core FX processor is going to uber more successful on good water-cooling for certain.
RGone...ster.

Ok i updated the above thread of mine , i don't think you see it as you must of been replying at the same time you posted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z87M-Ga...id=1388911563&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+Z87M-GAMING

^^That is an Intel motherboard and certainly does not work with the 2 FX processors you linked.

The boards I named are 'known' to work as described. Especially so those 3 listed to be able to push an FX as far as g00d water cooling will allow. The other three are lesser boards and speed has been shown adjusted downward from WFO to ~4.5Ghz or less.

All of the old chipset with new underwear on for fitment of FX processors are mostly entry level boards and not suited in general for big, daily overclocks. The majority of the boards with the lessser 970 chipset on them are also more suited to those who are just buying and then a year later come in here wanting to overclock and those of us still here and remembering...will say they should have gotten a more robust mobo.
RGone...ster.

Back