• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking FX 4170 - GA-M68MT-S2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Run what? I'm confused now. Do you mean run an FX8350 CPU with the other components you currently have or do you mean just upgrade the CPU and the motherboard now and still go with the current case and other components you are currently using?

IF you are going to continue with FX-8350 idea...

I am paying attention.

So to over clock the below i need a better cooling system and a better case for room to fit cooling system in.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard (AMD 990FX/SB950, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, … £167.98
AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket … £148.79

But saying that will the below fit in the tower i have at the moment and still be able to run it at 4.2ghz turbo boost without issues? or will i still need a better cooling system?
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard (AMD 990FX/SB950, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0, … £167.98
AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket … £148.79

I tried to get you to go with a much cheaper proposition, but you did not want to hear of it. So here are the minimums below to get a decent return on spending for top of the line mobo and 8 core FX-8350.

Then you need a case very very close to something like this case for good cooling flow in and out as well as place to put a 240 Rad in the top of the computer case. There are other brands certainly, but there is video linked below and you should be able to see what a g00d case should have from the video.

HAF Xm can fit up to 280 on top.. without any moding! with moding you can fit up to 360!!! Haf xm is really cheap and superb case... Here is a video review....

To cool an FX-8350 to about 4.5-4.6Ghz you will need a minimum of this type water cooling. These are considered AiO units or All in One units and cannot take the FX-8350 up into the 4.7Ghz and upwards range as they do not have enough cooling capacity.
1. Thermaltake 3.0 Extreme
2. H100i or similar.
Remember cooling cautions with these more minmal water coolers apply as written above. They do not have the cooling capacity to run beyond 4.7Ghz stable about 95% certain.

In addition when you go with water cooling the "spill-over" air flow from an air cooler type cpu cooler (good one) will be gone with water cooling and you may have to mount a fan that can blow directly on the VRMs of even a Sabertooth or CHV-z mobo so that the VRMs and socket temps do not rise when you begin to hammer an 8 core FX processor.

Now it is pretty well laid out for you. High dollar board and processor needs more dollar case and more dollar cooling.
RGone...

First i would like to say thanks for baring with me and thanks for your help so far RGone.

Thanks for the post above , i now understand i need a better and bigger case to fix all the things in ie, the cooler system and fans, to get the max over clock core speed for the FX 8350.

Now on anther point the reason i joined the forum in the first place was to try and fix my FX 4170 issue of not going to 4.2ghz after the bios update, now i know the mobi is crap and will not allow that.

Hence the reason i looking at a new mobi and with it new cpu.

So my last qestion is at the moment getting new case, and coolling fans ect ect will just cost me to much at the moment.

So if i was to buy the below and put it in my system i have now will i be able to run it fine with turbo boost on without overclocking it so running it at just 4.2ghz would i be fine.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard (AMD 990FX/SB950, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI-Express 2.0,
AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket

then later down the line i can always get a new tower and cooling syetem and what not to try the over clocking part.

Based on what I saw when looking at the case you say you have on ebay the only locaton I could find it; it said it shipped with only a single 80mm fan in the side of the case. That is crap and useless. You need a front fan make that a good front fan blowing in and a good fan blowing out the rear top of the case. Or nothing is going to allow any FX-8350 to run since its' default speed is 4000Mhz.

In my best guesstimation the FX-8350 with its' stock heatsink will nearly croak and fall on its' face in that case you have currently without any sort of decent fans in it. Period.

In the US we can buy the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for about $40.00 Usd less than the CHV-z board. D*mn good board as others have come in and said. If they have not in your thread they do in most threads when Sabertooth Vs CHV comes into play.

Buy the Sabertooth if it is cheaper. Use the saved money to buy to fans good enough to work in a newer case SO you are not wasting money. Then put the 4170 into the Sabertooth and get your 4.2Ghz clock back with the FX-4170 and later buy a better case with fans. Then buy the water cooling to go in the newer case you last purchased. Then get the FX-8350 and you have bought in increments and not wasted your money. Because to get that POS case to run let the FX-8350 run at just stock speeds which begins at 4.0Ghz...you need an aftermarket air cooler...more fans and it still may not like being in that hot box of a case. Don't know any other way to put it. Just plotting what I would do now that I am on fixed income and cannot go out and earn extra for more goodies.
RGone...ster.

Those parts will fit in the box. It'll be the aftermarket cooler you'll need to pay attention to. The height of the cooler and width of the box. Will a tower style cooler fit inside with the side door on. Also plan on putting some fans in the front of that box for cool air intake. I just checked the specs on that case. Is this it. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/galaxy3.html

I would look at upgrading it. You're just not going to get the air you need.

Those parts will fit in the box. It'll be the aftermarket cooler you'll need to pay attention to. The height of the cooler and width of the box. Will a tower style cooler fit inside with the side door on. Also plan on putting some fans in the front of that box for cool air intake. I just checked the specs on that case. Is this it. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/galaxy3.html

I would look at upgrading it. You're just not going to get the air you need.

I was looking at a new case , what about this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mast...Window/dp/B003OEDJTI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1_rdssss0 ?

Or do you know any cheapish that would be worth getting?

P.S. How would i see how good my hardrive is i have a feeling my hardrive is not the best.

I would go with something more along these lines. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Car...8&qid=1389109265&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+300rIt's 20 pounds more but. It will give much better cooling, cablemanagement and has a cutout behind the Mobo which is important.

Ok that looks a nice case , guess windowed or without window dos not make a diffrents in size from what i can tell.

Ok So that has the case sorted , what would be i.e budget fans and cooling system to get?

A mate was telling me about v8 Cooler Master http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLER-MA...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item58a9eff4fe

That case appears to have 1x 120mm in the back and 1x140 mm in the front. Do a bit of homework and see if it takes 2x120s up top. I assume it'll take another 140 in the fornt. Fans can vary a lot. The 2 fans I put in the front of my case were expensive but man they mave a lot of air and they're quiet. They're these ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242015

Do some research on reviews if you want , but you'll need to decide if you want colours or if you want all the fans/colours to match. Or no lights. It's quite varied. I prefer my systems with a positive pressur so I made sure the air coming in was slightly above the Air going out. But just slightly. You can get dead spots if the pressure is too high.

In just a minute I am going to get out of this thread and leave it alone. But I have a question. Corsair Carbide Series 300R CC-9011014-WW Mid-Tower Gaming Case << Where to do you put a dual radiator AiO setup? The mobo seems right up against the top of the case.
RGone...

In just a minute I am going to get out of this thread and leave it alone. But I have a question. Corsair Carbide Series 300R CC-9011014-WW Mid-Tower Gaming Case << Where to do you put a dual radiator AiO setup? The mobo seems right up against the top of the case.
RGone...

I don't remember suggesting an AIO or a rad??? If that's the OP's intent I missed that.

EDIT: :facepalm:
Okay I see that was tossed around some as a down the road kinda thing.. So SKULL if you intend to use any kind of water you should increase your case budget a bit.

Last edited:
Back