• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conformal coatings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea I hate swapping CPU's out as the eraser is always a PITA to deal with, then to get it back nice.

Not to mention you have to be careful not to bend the pins

That's kind of what I thought, not impossible but not a fun time either. I just took a look a your pic again, I didn't realize you ran the eraser right up to the CPU. Do ypu grease the socket at all?

I don't, I know many that do. but just seems like it would be a mess IMO

I just erase the entier area and nothing else, then let it rip.

Probably not the best advice but I try to keep it simple as possible. I am sure one day I will lose something for being lazy ..... :)

That would be our formal Glorious Leader, IMOG that does that... In fact he just slathered the vaseline on most of the board like it was... well, it was liberally applied. :p

I have never put anything literally in the socket (where the pins are), but simply do the eraser border around the CPU like witchy does so nothing gets in there. When on long sessions of LN2 I do put vaseline in the memory slots though... 'dat cold creep!

I was going to ask about that as well as the PCIe slot. Ok , I guess if the eraser is nice and snug around the CPU nothing gets in. I've had an " incident" before when I first started runningthe cold water so I've learned the hard way. I just tried out the board with my sempron 140 at 4270 with cinebench 11. I think it'll run a bit faster on this board but my score was just a tad worse. I'm trying to get on top of macs score for the team cup.

Beware that vaseline hardens and seems to expand when Really Cold, and will cause bad connections. When I say cold I do mean cold though, like <-100°C. Shouldn't be a problem for DIce or RAM/PCIe slots.

I strongly recommend against putting it in CPU sockets though, especially AMD sockets.

That silicon spray is amazing stuff for protecting boards. It's staggeringly toxic though and will cause severe alergic reactions in your throat as well as chemical pneumonia.
Spray it outside and use a good mask.

Once it's dry it's perfectly safe (wouldn't eat it, though) and wonderful.

I spent most of last night tearing down and spreading the eraser around the board, wasn't really sure how far awy from the CPU I needed to go. So I have from the Fets to the ram slots and down to the NB. Is that far enough for DICE or should I cover more area?

Id go north of the power bits on the top of the board.

There is a thread floating around here somewhere too... let me dig it up...

So far this is what I've got, I was thinking I should pull the HS off and do around the NB chip as well. Right now I just kind of dammed it off up to the HS

chiii.JPG

That ought to do it for DIce, really.
Crank the NB voltage up a bit and it'll keep itself warm/dry.

Mega-tip: Annoying as it is, tear all the eraser off after your run and take a hair dryer to the board till it's dry.
Resist the urge to leave it insulated.
If you don't believe me Ask TJuan about his M4E :D

I forgot to post it and don't want to make a new thread so here is ASRock Z87M OCF prepared for SS/Dice cooling ... using 1 piece of Faber Castell eraser :) ... no issues with moisture etc. while benching ..

1.jpg

2.jpg

Very nice.
I should have mentioned that. Avoid large swaths of eraser, they conduct cold and you do not want that.
You only need to keep the water off the conductive bits, anything shiny metal.

Yeah, pretty much.
You can (obviously) do huge swaths, but you need to keep going (like in that picture) and insulate a much larger area.
Some people have a lot of success that way.
For me on DIce and colder it led to wet RAM.

I'm just not insulating "clean" PCB as there is nothing to make a short. Except that I'm adding some sheets of paper towels on the back and near CPU socket to absorb any moisture. I make it mainly so water won't spread near vrm. When you bench on LN2 then all will be frozen anyway so don't really have to use paper or anything else if you are sure that pot will be always freezed. Then you just add some more fans to get rid of moisture near memory or other farther places.

Generally what you do depends from platform and other protection that you use so it's hard to make one guide best for all boards/cpus.

I'm mainly benching on SS or Dice and I'm often changing boards so I want them to be easy to clean in case if I wish to sell them later.

If you put a fan on a memory, something like 120mm ~1k rpm , then shouldn't be any moisture near. If there still will be something then paper towels are helping also here. You can also use thicker ( or additional ) insulation on the lower part of the pot. I just mean that you don't have to use any special methods all the time and sometimes there is simple solution.

I'm not saying that my way is the best way. It just works for me.

Thanks for all the pointers guys it's greatly appreciated. I already have my board pretty gummed up with erase so ihave to either do more or remove some from what I'm picking up here.
I'm meeting BMWBaxter tonight to borrow his gear. Then I just have to figure out how to get a hold of the DICE. Between their hours, my work and logistics, I think I'm going to have to take a day off to get it. Not that I mind taking vacation time. It's just a finite amount that I'm allotted.

I also have some issues with picking up dice. I work till 4pm and store where are the only reasonable prices in the area is also open till 4 pm. I'm usually trying to grab it when I'm on the way to some customer but it's not always easy. LN2 cost almost 2x more and I have no dewar right now so I'd rather stick to dice and ss.

Just face it, work sucks. I can't wait till I'm retired. Ha ha
Even if the store would be open on saturday I could manage but they're not and the shelf life on this stuff is what??? About a day maybe for 10Kg in a cooler?

With a properly sealed dewar, it should last for several days. I bleed off well less than a L /day in my dewar.

With a properly sealed dewar, it should last for several days. I bleed off well less than a L /day in my dewar.

This is only DICE in a cooler E_D. I haven't gone that far yet :chair:

Back