• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 EVO - Installed Off Center?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bahamut5098

Okay, so I've finally got the beast cooler, Hyper 212 EVO, in place, but it's off center by probably a 1/4 off the CPU. It was a pain to install and I was only able to get 3 out of the 4 screws in the motherboard. The amount of pushing down and moving pushed some of the TIM from Cooler Master off the side of the CPU and I cleaned up what I could, but some of it is still there.

My question is: Is it okay for the heatsink to be off-center like that? I've tried 3 different temp programs like HW Monitor and the temps seem a tad high but the inside feels cool, so I don't think there is a problem.

I doubt I can do much else in terms of placement.

Welcome to OCF !!

Please list your system specs. Certainly you need to remove the HS and install the correct back plate. I say that not even knowing what MB you're installidng onto. You should not be having any trouble putting on the backplate and waterblock. Three screws will not work.

It's kind of a pain. You really need all 4 screws on for a good, safe fit. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, so don't take offense to this, but it sounds like you're screwing in each bolt all the way one at a time. You need to engage the threads on each screw just a bit, then tighten in a star pattern. Also, make sure the pin on the cooler is mating with the brackets properly.

It's kind of a pain. You really need all 4 screws on for a good, safe fit. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, so don't take offense to this, but it sounds like you're screwing in each bolt all the way one at a time. You need to engage the threads on each screw just a bit, then tighten in a star pattern. Also, make sure the pin on the cooler is mating with the brackets properly.

Trust me, I tried that :D

It took me a minute to get mine on as well all four screws will connect just gotta apply a little more pressure than you would think.

I have HWMonitor installed, and my four Core temps read between 36c-38c. Any other readings I should watch out for?

I'm guessing those temps are at idle. You need to see how your temps are under load. Try running P95, and see what you get. You don't want to exceed 65c, It's bestt to keep it under 60c.

Are there any factors like TMPIN0 I need to watch out for? Or, just the four core temps?

With VLC, Pandora (Google Chrome) and Left 4 Dead 2 running simultaneously, my core temps peak at 49C.

If a quarter inch of you CPU is showing you're not mounting it correctly. You must have the X bracket in the wrong position. That cooler fits AM2-3+ sockets just fine so something in your setup is wrong.

Here's a vid showing installation

Last edited:
If a quarter inch of you CPU is showing you're not mounting it correctly. You must have the X bracket in the wrong position. That cooler fits AM2-3+ sockets just fine so something in your setup is wrong.

That also means the op doesn't have even pressure across the cpu lid.

Do a remount. You don't want things done halfway.

Two things are really troubling to me and must be addressed. Note that I am not going to say anything more that what has already been posted.

Only three screws are in. That's a 25% loss of connection and has to produce some form of unevenness.

Not centered on the Spreader. This produces a loss in effectiveness. That means that the cooler is not doing the best job that it can.

I would really look at these issues very carefully and correct them. To me that would mean removing the MB from the case and fix the mounting situation. If the HSF is damaged, replace it! Don't risk the life of your machine over a $30 part.

Make sure you didn't use some olf the AMD mounting hardware instead of the stuff for intel. Also, I hope you didn't try to install this thing with the motherboard in the case. Much easier if you take the motherboard out.

Okay, so I've finally got the beast cooler, Hyper 212 EVO, in place, but it's off center by probably a 1/4 off the CPU. It was a pain to install and I was only able to get 3 out of the 4 screws in the motherboard. The amount of pushing down and moving pushed some of the TIM from Cooler Master off the side of the CPU and I cleaned up what I could, but some of it is still there.

My question is: Is it okay for the heatsink to be off-center like that? I've tried 3 different temp programs like HW Monitor and the temps seem a tad high but the inside feels cool, so I don't think there is a problem.

3770k stock clock, hyper 212 evo

Hi all. I'm aware I'm late to the party but came across this thread googling the same question. This is my first aftermarket heatsink.
My install went smooth. Core temps are 28/29 degrees idle, 64 degrees prime95. Though temps were ok i decided to redo the install i had done yesterday this time trying to keep pressure more even when tightening the screws.
Its tightened evenly now, and off-center. Considering the bracket and mounting hardware are locked in the correct positions all i can figure is turn it around 180 degrees. I took some pics.. Its more like 1/8" or less more toward one side than another but it's visually concerning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,726
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,703
Last edited:

Found it! I assume this is also why OP is off center. Do you see that peg? There is a hole in the center of the cooler block where that is supposed to sit. Carefully set the bracket in place with the screw in the hole BEFORE you try placing it on the CPU. :)

image.jpg

when installed correctly it will not wiggle or turn. The pin in the previous photo is supposed to go through a hole in the center of the block (There is also a pin coming out of the block to ensure correct seating) if your bracket wobbles back and forth and will not stay in place you need to take it out, spin it and put it back in so the pin in the bracket is in the hole in the block and the notch in bracket lines up with the pin coming out of the block.
Have a pea sized amount of TIM on the center of your processor, pin of the bracket in that hole in the block, and notch lined up.. With one hand on the cooler fins carefully lower the cooler onto the processor while with your other hand making sure your bracket is still in its place and the screws line up with the pegs. (If it's in place but not lining up with the pegs, read the manual your setup is wrong) Now get each screw started. Once they're all started tighten only 3 turns at a time one corner then the next then switch corners.. Repeat the process until all screws are tight.

I don't know if this will help but im the other new guy so got nothin to lose right ;-) Here's a few pics of what it looks like when properly installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,756
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,748
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 2,025
Last edited:
Back