• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building first computer 1200 cad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eliazer

Registered
Hi,

After five years of using the same laptop, I finally want to try to build a PC. I'm either going to buy it in 9 days or one month. I really know nothing about building computers but I did a little bit of research and got a few suggestions. Also, I don't really know if the parts are necessary for my needs, so I don't want to pay extra for features that I won't use.

I'd like the computer to be sufficiently powerful enough so that I won't have to play next year's games on low. Ideally, I'd like to play the games that are out now on high in 1080p but I don't know if my price range allows that (I don't want to spend much more than 1200 Canadian dollars and I'd rather not overclock). Video/music editing are also interests of mine but not of primary concern. I have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I haven't included the OS (Windows 7 or 8) in my total cost because I am waiting to see if I can get a deal on it from my school.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dzjJpg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/dzjJpg/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($116.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($339.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.95 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1088.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 04:40 EDT-0400

I was looking into the R9 280x as a graphics card before but it seems that the GTX 770 is better. Since I'm not at my budget yet, do you have any suggestions for a better graphics card that is only slightly more expensive?

I really don't know much about the cpu or motherboard, I've never overclocked before and this is my first time building a computer so I thought to keep it simple. Do you think the cpu is powerful enough?

The case was suggested to me. Do you think I need to buy a cpu fan or is the stock one good enough since im not overclocking?

newegg.ca's psu calculator said I would need 850w but the 650w psu was suggested to me on a different forum. What do you think?

I was initially interested in the GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 for a motherboard but someone told me that it is unnecessary since I am not planning to overclock. Still, maybe I will in the future (would I need a different cpu for that). With that motherboard, the total price comes up to 1146.63
Any thoughts on this motherboard? MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:
I would still think about an OC build. Its not something you have to do today. But a year or two from now when you wish the system was a little faster it could be nice to have the option. I've seen people build with no intentions to OC then come here asking how can they OC their system and they have parts that just won't do it.

A little more along the lines of what I would go for:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xs3Hqs

The 290 would be the fastest in your budget range. A GTX 770 4GB is about the same price, but slower, so just depends on which you prefer. Both will game for the next 2+ years at high to ultra settings.

I would still think about an OC build. Its not something you have to do today. But a year or two from now when you wish the system was a little faster it could be nice to have the option. I've seen people build with no intentions to OC then come here asking how can they OC their system and they have parts that just won't do it.

A little more along the lines of what I would go for:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xs3Hqs

The 290 would be the fastest in your budget range. A GTX 770 4GB is about the same price, but slower, so just depends on which you prefer. Both will game for the next 2+ years at high to ultra settings.

Thanks! So 650w for the psu should be enough and do you know if that case is good enough or should I buy a different fan for the CPU? Somehow I'm under the impression that nvidia usually has fewer problems with games but then again I haven't had one for a while. Is the lack of physx in the Radeon cards even a problem?

Thanks again

That psu looks very solid. 650 is plenty.

For cooler, if you did get one it would be the 212 evo for <$35 for first time OC'ing really. Up to you if you want to get it now and have it on there for later instead of having to pull it apart if you do OC. The stock is fine even with turbo mode turned on if your not going higher for now.

NV has physx, shadowplay, and G-Sync support. AMD has Mantle on the horizon. Neither is a "bad" choice. I game on my titan at home and 7970 at work and not like I am disappointed in either. Raw gpu horse power overcomes missing features most of the time. Drivers for both are fairly good and stable these days.

Reviews for that case seem very good, should have plenty of room. Corsair makes good cases.

Alright, thanks.

Someone suggested that I get a 750w psu if I overclock. Maybe I should, just in case.

Back