• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fractal Design XL R2 with Phanteks PH-TC14PE ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobjackson

Registered
Hi everyone,

I was planning on buying the Fractal Design XL R2 case and putting the Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU cooler in it. Originally I was looking at the Noctua NH-D14, but the Phanteks seems to get a bit better reviews with people saying they get lower temperatures.

Anyways, I didn't even think about clearance because the XL R2 case is so big, but when I disable the compatibility filter on PCPartPicker so that I can actaully choose the XL R2, it says there is a compatibility issue with the two. But I just watched a video at http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cases/32763-fract-def-xl-r2?showall=1&limitstart= that shows them using those exact same parts without issue.

This is the first time I've used PCPartPicker. Is it common for it to screw up these things? Or is there actually the possibility of a compatibility problem?

Thanks for the help.

I have the xl r2. Depth from the cpu to the inside of the case side panel is roughly 7".

Edit: From the specs on that cooler, height is 140.5 millimeters, which is equivalent to 5.53 inches

Seems, to me, that it will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the super quick reply. I figured the case would have the room, but I wanted to ask about it.

Thanks again.

The PH-TC14PE is 171mm tall with the fans installed.
The Fractal Design XL R2 supports 170mm tall coolers, per your review link.

Superbg looked at the specs for the PH-TC14CS which is a much shorter cooler.

My mistake sorry. Atminside is correct. (I fail at goo-gell) It would likely still fit, but it may hit against the sound deadening foam inside the side panel.

Last edited:
Rather than risking it, I think I'll go back to original choice of the Noctua NH-D15 (I said D14 earlier, but its replacement, the D15 would probably be a better option).

I was looking at the Corsair H100i earlier too, but I'm not wanting to deal with the upkeep of a liquid cooler, although the smaller size would be nice.

Rather than risking it, I think I'll go back to original choice of the Noctua NH-D15 (I said D14 earlier, but its replacement, the D15 would probably be a better option).

I was looking at the Corsair H100i earlier too, but I'm not wanting to deal with the upkeep of a liquid cooler, although the smaller size would be nice.

Also keep in mind that either the NH-D14 or NH-D15 will be MUCH quieter than the H100i.

I've decied on the Noctua D15. I've read about possible RAM clearance issues though. If I run all 4 of my 8gb sticks on one side of the motherboard, as compared to 2 sticks on each side, are there any performance differences to note. I read a while back (it might have been an old article), that you have to put RAM in certain colored slots in order to make use of dual channel. Is this correct, or just old, and maybe not correct?

Also, is there any downside to using RAM without the heat spreaders on top? If I have room to move the second fan on the Noctua I might be able to use the RAM slots on the other side. And is there any major downside to only running the center fan on a Noctua (or similar) cooler? I won't be overclockong right away, but likely in the future. Will only running the cneter fan cause cooling problems, or is it also highly determined by the case's airflow?

I haven't bought it yet, but I was going to get Vengeance Pro, as long as I end going with an X79 board instead of an X99.

I haven't bought it yet, but I was going to get Vengeance Pro, as long as I end going with an X79 board instead of an X99.

Look at G.SKILL Ares, better price for the same size/speed/timings, and is low-profile.

You won't have any issues with RAM 32mm and shorter.
Ares is 32mm, Vengeance Pro is taller.

I don't think I would spend any money on x79 at this point, unless you are getting a really good deal. x99 is here any day and x79 purchased now will cause regrets as x99 stuff is released.

I don't think I would spend any money on x79 at this point, unless you are getting a really good deal. x99 is here any day and x79 purchased now will cause regrets as x99 stuff is released.

It's here tomorrow ;)

Look at G.SKILL Ares, better price for the same size/speed/timings, and is low-profile.

You won't have any issues with RAM 32mm and shorter.
Ares is 32mm, Vengeance Pro is taller.

Thanks, I will definitely check them out. Is G-Skill RAM one of the best brands? I was going with Corsair because it is a name I've known forever. This is my first build and I've learned a ton about everything that goes into a build, and have been finding out about new companies that have huge fan bases. I know that G-Skill is not very new, but it is to me.

Thanks, I will definitely check them out. Is G-Skill RAM one of the best brands? I was going with Corsair because it is a name I've known forever. This is my first build and I've learned a ton about everything that goes into a build, and have been finding out about new companies that have huge fan bases. I know that G-Skill is not very new, but it is to me.

Yes, G.SKILL is my go-to for RAM. Corsair is good, but usually a touch more expensive for the same stuff.
Also, I've only had one set of G.SKILL ever act up, and their support team was beyond helpful.

Back