• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need quick recommendation for a 120 hertz 1440p monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the cheapest "new" one I can find atm on ebay which is the same model.

That isn't a pixel perfect model and their dead pixel policy seems a little on the lax side, TBH (max of 5?), so you may want to shop around some more to find one that meets your standards in terms of bad pixels. Supposedly, the Pixel Perfect thing is basically a scam. The vast majority of panels aren't going to have pixel issues anyway, so it's up to you whether the extra $ is worth the peace of mind.

One thing you may not about that one I linked is that it is the "SE" variant of the QX2710. The one I purchased was, as I may have mentioned, used and from a private party seller in the US. Their description only indicated that it was a QX2710 (not the SE), which I was fine with as I had previously heard rumors that the SE models had worse QC and didn't overclock as well. When I received mine, however, the first thing I noticed was the "SE" sticker plastered on the outside of the box :bang head

Of course, this ended up not mattering, as mine overclocked to 120Hz with ease, but I just thought I'd make you aware of the distinction. I've since read that some people think they just started the "SE" nomenclature in order to sell the "non-SE" displays at a higher price. I don't know the truth of any of that. I just know that I seem to have an SE and it overclocks just fine.

I also stumbled across this one in my brief search just now...

It's a used one, but the guy says it's "Pixel Perfect". Pros and cons to buying either new from Korea or used from a private seller. I'll let you make that determination. I would at least ask the seller, however, if it in fact has ZERO dead pixels or if it simply adheres to a certain vendors "Pixel Perfect" policy (which sometimes allow for 1-2 dead pixels).

Good luck! :)

Thanks a lot. What are your thoughts on the asus strix 1440p monitor. It's 1440 120 hz by default with built in gsync . But it's priced at 700 $ :eek: . Would you say it's worth it

"Worth it" is a very difficult question to answer.

If your PC were extremely high end (CF 290s or better, GTX 780s or better) and your budget were close to the cost of that monitor, then I would probably say yes.

I take it, however, from the fact that you said your FPS requirement is only 45 to indicate that your hardware is not at that level. If that is accurate, then I would say the $200-300 would be much better spent on hardware to support a $300-400 1440P display.

2 980s in sli but 1440p with lots of AA . 45 is the minimum fps . I don't think 980 sli will give me 120 + fps but gsync does sound nice :)

I'm confused. I don't think the 980s are released yet. And when they are, two of them should provide at least 100FPS, with all settings maxed at 1440p in current games.

Are you saying, you are planning on getting the 980s?

Yes . I am not underestimating them. I'm just saying that I don't think I'll get a 100 fps with the settings I'm going to use . Bf4 4xaa and 150 + res scale for example

Yea the res scaling is no joke. You may not need it, though. Just 1440P by itself is likely to impress.

Kinda sounds like we're talking about a future build more than anything, though. I would wait til you start putting the PC together and have some reviews to read on the GPUs and what they're capable of before I'd really look at buying a monitor in earnest. If you really want to buy one now, I definitely wouldn't spring for the ASUS when you don't have the hardware yet to support it.

Well said . I just like having everything dialed up to the max. And it requires one heck of a horse power . I will resist the urge to upgrade although I'm using the on board 4600 hd .

Yikes! Yea, that can't be making anything look too pretty ;) October isn't too far off. If you can't wait, you could always pick up a used 280X for $175-200. It'll hold you over at 1080P until the GTX 980s release in October and you upgrade to those and your monitor.

Or you could just scrap the 980 plan entirely and upgrade now to tri-fire 290Xs for the same price you're likely to pay for the 980s :D

Stick with it, if the estimated pricing of $499 on the 980 are true, a 290X would be simply pointless unless you were diehard red team. (Of course they may put something else out to counter NV at the price mark, but we shall see)

If that is indeed the launch price and AMD doesn't drop the 290X price, then yea, the two 980s would obviously outperform two 290Xs. I just sincerely doubt that the price/performance disparity which has existed for all these years is suddenly going to swap ;)

I'd need to go back and forth a few times to really say. Enough people say it's different that I'm sure it is slightly so. The degree of difference is assuredly debatable, however. I guess, if you can afford it, go for it, but if someone is taking money out of their GPU budget, for example, to get a monitor with a higher refresh rate, I don't think that's a wise choice.

I can say that I'm more than happy with the qnix I bought. I was fortunate and ended up only paying around $200 after all's said and done, but even if I'd had to pay $300-350, I would still say it's definitely worth it compared to other 1440p displays. As long as you can do with just DVI input (and that's sort of a big if), then you're getting a great display that can overclock to at least 96Hz. The next-lowest-priced display that offers you that will cost twice as much.

Edit: and when people say these displays "overclock to x", they should really just say "run at x". Sounds less scary ;)

I'm looking to pick up another 27" screen but I've been torn between a 1080p 144Hz or going IPS. I love my 4k but I can't always get super smooth gameplay in everything I do (as smooth as I want anyway), so the Korean looks to be the best way to go.

$200? That's an awesome deal.

Last edited:
Yea I was willing to pay up to $300-350 for one so was very happy when I found the one I did. I'm quite happy with it now.

Or...I could just pick up 2 980's for SLI and see what that gets me @ 4K lol. Decisions decisions :p

**Edit**

After seeing the reviews for the 980's, I'll wait for the Ti versions lol.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of multi screen gaming setups, so that's definitely the route I would take :thup:

If you can consider 1080p 120Hz for games and 4K for everything else, take a look at Seiki. It seems like the 50" version has increased in price due to demand from the Maxwell release, but the 39" version appears to still be the same price.

Back