• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a primary 4K monitor to go with my #2 HD monitor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BatmansHardware

Registered
PC is in my sig. Put it together not so long ago.

I had two old BenQ VZ2470 monitors and now I am down to one. So I want to make what's left my #2 and get a new primary monitor.

My GFX card can do 4K. I'd like to be able to play some demanding games on that kind of resolution. I am thinking about 27" or so for #1.

I have had these suggestions for my budget or would you recommend something else entirely?

ASUS TUF
BenQ EL28
AOC U2879

You want to play games at 4k with a 1070ti? It isn't really a 60 fps thing but.....it will put an image on the screen.

With that gpu, I'd go 2560x1440 personally. 4k/60/ultra isn't a thing with mkst titles and that video card.

You want to play games at 4k with a 1070ti? It isn't really a 60 fps thing but.....it will put an image on the screen.

With that gpu, I'd go 2560x1440 personally. 4k/60/ultra isn't a thing with mkst titles and that video card.
Ah okay, so if the msi geforce gtx 1070 ti gaming 8g ddr5 wouldn't really cut 4K 60fps that makes me rethink some things. If I spend on a monitor for the recommendation you gave, then if I did get a better card for 4K 60fps, I am probably going to think about the 4K monitor also.

So maybe say in 2023 I will get a better card, should I still be looking at 4K 60fps monitors or am I missing something? That your recommendations are far more than needed for gaming over the next few years?

After you get a new card I would be looking at monitors that offer 4K and a variable refresh rate (gsync compatible/adaptive sync). But ultimately agreed with Joe that a 1070ti is not a 4K/60 card, the 1080ti could barely do it, depending on the game, and the 2080ti still had issues with that on occasion IIRC depending on the settings.

If you want a new screen prior to that, I agree with Joe that a 2560x1440 monitor would be a good choice, something like the LG 27GN/GP monitors go on sale for a few hundred if you keep an eye on slickdeals and such.

After you get a new card I would be looking at monitors that offer 4K and a variable refresh rate (gsync compatible/adaptive sync). But ultimately agreed with Joe that a 1070ti is not a 4K/60 card, the 1080ti could barely do it, depending on the game, and the 2080ti still had issues with that on occasion IIRC depending on the settings.

If you want a new screen prior to that, I agree with Joe that a 2560x1440 monitor would be a good choice, something like the LG 27GN/GP monitors go on sale for a few hundred if you keep an eye on slickdeals and such.

Thanks. Okay, I see the sense. Those 4K/60fps cards are top-shelf expensive and can wait before the prices come down a bit maybe over the years and then get the 4K monitor with whatever technology has advanced with it around that time.

So 2560x1440 for now to become the #2 monitor later on in life.

Quad HD I think it's called.

^^ The Dells are also excellent.

Some of the best monitor reviews that I've seen some from Rtings and Hardware Unboxed if you want to get a good idea of capabilities and such.

For 27 inch I think 1440p (2560x1440) is an ideal resolution anyway. The amount of pixels in a given surface area matters more than the absolute resolution, generally 1080p is good for 24", 1440p for 27" and 4k for 32". Of course it's also all subjective, but I agree with the suggestions to run 1440p 27" with your current hardware.

As a general rule, IPS displays have a better viewing angle and better colors than VA displays, often they can be as fast as you need as well, although a couple generations back they suffered in refresh rate. But each monitor is different, there are great looking VA displays and crummy looking IPS displays. Personally I also think the dell IPS that was suggested looks like a great choice at a glance.

I have this gigabyte and love it so far. Some of the reviews complained about the settings joystick thing but I have no problems with it. It takes a couple steps to get the brightness right but after that it looks great.
I just recently got 3x Dell S2522HG, they have the joystick for settings and I vastly prefer it to the old style row of buttons for navigation.

They have some seriously competitive prices and their high refresh rate IPS panels are the same ones they're using in their Alienware monitors to my knowledge.

It was close but the Dell won on price for what you get.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.

Check out these two Dell monitors. The first is a higher refresh and a curved VA panel, the second is a flat IPS panel.
This one. :)

There wasn't much between this and the few others mentioned here and all about 30% less than the usual price.

There were two in that post which is why I was asking.
Yes there was. A few. That's the one I went with but in the end the suggestions there are very close and I think anyone should be happy with any of them if you get them on sale.

Back