• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help needed for shortsighted oldie Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

texasboy

Hi ,
As you can see from my signature I have been using I7-920 CO for some time.
I managed to buy a I7-960 and installed it last night..Had to remove mobo to get better connection for heatsink. Everything is up and running. All settings on auto for now. Ran Prime95 with Realtemp for 15 + minutes to check. Max temp was 45 deg.
Everything is running well. My problem is the blue lights at very front outsiide top of case. The lower one below power light now also stays solid. Befoe it would flash and fluctuate as you were changing programs or downloading.
Seems like something simple, I even checked connections to F panel on mobo. Obviously I want to try solve this before I move further.

I am not used to the extra power of the 960 and maybe its something else.

Many thanks Hope you can help.:)

Texasboy

From your description, it sounds like HDD activity light. Go into task manager and choose the processes tab, is anything putting a high load on the CPU?

Check to see if you have anything running in the background that is making the harddrive active during idle.

Press: ctrl+alt then del on your keyboard, select task manager, select processes.

Dagnabit, Dino beat me to it! :eek:

;)

Thanks for swift reply. Only process is the normal/usual one from " System Idle" at 99 . I am actually using PC at moment.

I would scan with malware bytes and also run a virus scan. Something is making that hardrive run without cause.

Nebulous
I use MSE plus Spybot with antivirus. BUT WILL TAKE TIME OFF AND RUN AGAIN tKS.

Lvcoyote

Sure hope not. As this figure has been around for many years. I wouldn't be able to work pc.

Tks to both

Possibly I have a wire connection in wrong on F Panel ?

Its 2.00 AM in morning in Belfast. Cheers

Hello again, I have just run full scans with both MSE and Spybot (with antivirus). Both come up clean.

I will open pc case and double check all connections. Could lack of voltage be a problem ? CPU VCORE shows 1.2125 Volts, QPI/VTT shows 1.175 volts. Most reviews show higher voltage just to run the 960 at idle.

Will first check wiring on mobo first

Tks

SOLVED !!! It was indeed a connection on F panel.
The Hard Drive Activity Led should have been in lower row of pins (was in top row).
Everything is now normal.
Thanks to all for motivation.

cheers

Back