• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a VGA to HDMI converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jame Gumb

Hope I put this thread in the right forum.

Anyone using one of these devices? I found a few converters on some sites but the reviews are mixed. I'm just looking for a brand that will keeping working for under $35, but I'm not familiar with converters or these brands to be honest.

I'm trying to hook-up an old IBM thinkpad(VGA output) to my HDMI TV (Samsung UN32EH5300 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED HDTV)

I don't necessarily need the audio signal conversion functionality or need it to be powered by USB.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, JG

Post up some links to what your currently looking at. Also are you trying to achieve 1080p? Or just reasonable output to tv ?

Just a reasonable output like you said. The older laptop has some software for work that I need and that I can't transfer, so it's not really for HQ media.

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETVHT...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410102261&sr=1-15

From what I've read is that these cheaper ones will not down-convert nor up-convert the VGA signal like the $200-$300 models or with VGA scalers or whatever.. So what my VGA card has to offer is what I get on the other end after conversion and that it must be a supported resolution on the TV??? If I understood that correctly.

Another question is does your tv have vga connection ?

I've used vga to vga on my hd tv and it looks good ..as far as sound goes a audio cable can be bought that is coupled with a longer vga cable..

I don't think your gonna see a difference in quality personally.. I'll try my tv via USB, and vga adapter to see what major differences are again ..

Thanks for the replies.
No VGA. My TV only has 3 HDMI ports and a couple USBs; HDD5v and a regular USB. Hell, I didn't even know they made VGA to USB adapters. Probably should have went that route. lol Which one are you using? I ordered that Porta converter above a couple days ago and it's coming tomorrow, I believe it'll work for my needs.

I used a hdmi cable beings I use my laptop to play back movies.. But as far as desktop I have used vga to vga and had a great pic even playing movies .. But I found it annoying to plug two cables in compared to one..

I think you'll be satisfied with your decision.. Be sure to check back and let us know how you like it.. Goes good for the next guy as well :D

Works great, plug and play mostly. I tried it on a couple laptops.. regards to the image quality, I'm seeing a decent resolution at its highest sustainable setting(next bump up the screen goes black and reverts after 15 sec) on the 945 mobile intel express chipset. With the intel images look over sharpened and color aspect is all jacked-up like you need drivers. The IBMs ATi Mobility Radeon 7500 is looking better than the others @1024x768@60Hz .

Last edited:
Back