• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whatever it will be I would expect it in half year. GTX980 is waste of money while GTX970 is ( and will be ) great option for longer.

Unless you're like me, who just upgraded from a 580 gtx to this 980. It's easily 100-110% faster lol.

Depends from test/game GTX780 is also up to 100% faster than GTX580 ;) ... I just mean that GTX970 is not much slower than the GTX980 while price difference is quite big. Not to mention that in ~3-4 months GTX980 will lose on value maybe 25% while GTX970 not so much. It's the same story as with GTX670 and GTX680. GTX980 is simply not top of the line card. It's a card which is positioned as the highest one to make good profit till GTX980Ti will be released. I'm not saying it's bad, it's a great card just badly priced by nvidia in this pricing mess that we have right now.
GTX780Ti is almost as fast as GTX980 and you can see sales in many stores right now so you can get GTX780Ti for about 20% less than GTX980.

% of FPS is not always giving you real experience of performance gain. Reviews are showing it as 10-20% faster. In real you see 5-10 FPS more. It counts when you have 30 FPS max but in most cases there is 60-70+ FPS so who cares if it's 65 or 75 when you see the same effect on the screen.

It just makes me laugh when I see people desperately selling GTX780/780Ti for half price they paid for it 6-8 months ago just to get GTX970/980 which is 0-10% faster.

btw, 2 reviews of non-reference GTX980
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/graphics/41655-gigabyte-gaming-g1-geforce-gtx-980-review
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1442

Last edited:
I got a GTX670 4GB, do you guys think it would be worth upgrading or should I wait?

Have you seen the performance difference, price, power consumption? Are those differences worth it to YOU? Not knowing any details of your situation, but putting myself in your shoes, I probably would go to a 980, sure.

Asus 780Ti is on sale for like $ 425.00 after rebate

I think many will follow putting the Ti right in-between the 970 and 980

That makes things interesting when shopping for a new card

If I were to buy today under the premise I was building a gamer thinking 2x 970's is a no brainer

these things are scaling great and with the low power consumption you don't need stock in a power company to run them

I got GTX970 just because I could almost replace it 1:1 with GTX780 which was also a bad clocker. All cost me ~$30 with shipping.

Depends from test/game GTX780 is also up to 100% faster than GTX580 ;) ... I just mean that GTX970 is not much slower than the GTX980 while price difference is quite big. Not to mention that in ~3-4 months GTX980 will lose on value maybe 25% while GTX970 not so much. It's the same story as with GTX670 and GTX680. GTX980 is simply not top of the line card. It's a card which is positioned as the highest one to make good profit till GTX980Ti will be released. I'm not saying it's bad, it's a great card just badly priced by nvidia in this pricing mess that we have right now.
GTX780Ti is almost as fast as GTX980 and you can see sales in many stores right now so you can get GTX780Ti for about 20% less than GTX980.

% of FPS is not always giving you real experience of performance gain. Reviews are showing it as 10-20% faster. In real you see 5-10 FPS more. It counts when you have 30 FPS max but in most cases there is 60-70+ FPS so who cares if it's 65 or 75 when you see the same effect on the screen.

It just makes me laugh when I see people desperately selling GTX780/780Ti for half price they paid for it 6-8 months ago just to get GTX970/980 which is 0-10% faster.

btw, 2 reviews of non-reference GTX980
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/graphics/41655-gigabyte-gaming-g1-geforce-gtx-980-review
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1442

Whether or not the 980 ti is out soon, which i expect it to be within a few months probably by december. The price point will be at least 699. There's no doubt in my mind. I'm comfortable with what i just purchased.

The 780ti was still expensive the day i purchased the 980 gtx. You're talking to someone that upgraded from a 580 gtx man. There's literally nothing you could say that would make me hate what i just bought. New stuff is always coming out (in a few months) so why would that matter to me?

I was going to get 970's but when I saw them both there sitting next to each other, I just couldn't help the compulsion. First time going SLI since the 3DFX days. Always preferred one top of the line card. I'm totally life sucked into Archeage avg'ing 18+ hrs a day for the last two weeks straight and playing at 4K the 780ti was doing fine when dropped down to DX9 and my draw distances lowered a notch. Problem is even though stuff looks good still at 4K DX9 I loose a lot of the eye candy which is why I went with this entire setup and in a pvp heavy game I need those draw distances. With 2x980's I can max all settings and maintain 55-70 fps on avg and this is right in the minimum range I have been wanting. I'm sure I would have been happy with the 970's also and not been to far lower but rather have the extra frames. After a few months usage the extra costs will mean very little to me.

Thank god the weather is starting to cool off though. Won't have to worry about heater bills this winter.

there's going to be a better version of the 980 in a few months. probably a "ti". my guess is 20% better and $700 or so.

Back