• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8.1 image problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

I haven't had win 8.1 installed very long & I decided to create an image file. The creation went good & windows said it completed o.k. After I create an image I try to restore it to check & see if it works o.k.

It didn't work.... I get the error message windows cannot restore a system image that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using Bios & this computer is using EFI.

I created it & tried to restore it to the same computer (my sig.) I don't have any idea what's up. I researched it on the internet but couldn't understand what was being said.

Any help please Dan

Dan, I've not tried the built in backup/restore, but it sounds like the disk is being backed while booting as UEFI and the backup disk is running without UEFI. I'm not sure what to suggest, though.

Using CloneZilla or Acronis is a much better solution than trying to use Windows backup/restore. From what I understand the Windows backup/restore is very picky and won't restore to disk drives of different size either. So, if you actually have a HDD failure you better hope you can still find an identical drive to replace it with.

Not to sound like a commercial for Acronis, but I've been using it for years and it's never failed me yet. The best part is that you can boot from the CD and are presented with everything you need to create/restore an image. You don't even have to install the program if you don't want to. Of course installing the program in Windows allows you to automate the backup process to a schedule of your choosing if you require that.

Dan, I've not tried the built in backup/restore, but it sounds like the disk is being backed while booting as UEFI and the backup disk is running without UEFI. I'm not sure what to suggest, though.
Hi, yes that is what I'm reading on the internet. I'm playing with things in the Bios at this moment & trying to get the right combination

Using CloneZilla or Acronis is a much better solution than trying to use Windows backup/restore. From what I understand the Windows backup/restore is very picky and won't restore to disk drives of different size either. So, if you actually have a HDD failure you better hope you can still find an identical drive to replace it with.

Not to sound like a commercial for Acronis, but I've been using it for years and it's never failed me yet. The best part is that you can boot from the CD and are presented with everything you need to create/restore an image. You don't even have to install the program if you don't want to. Of course installing the program in Windows allows you to automate the backup process to a schedule of your choosing if you require that.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to plug away with this for awhile until I get so pissed off that I can't continue. Ill look at Acronis in the mean time.

What did you use for restore media, and what options do you have when pressing F8 during POST?

Hi, I have the recovery programs on a usb flash drive.
My F8 menu is - DVD Drive, 2xSSD, 1xHDD, 1x ext.HDD (image files are here), Sandisk Cruzer, UEFI Sandisk Cruzer.

I have been playing with both of the sandisk options & the boot options in Bios. I believe I just haven't gotten the right combination of the two.

Back