• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Lightboost: still relevant? Or already obsolete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Is it worth looking for an LCD monitor that does Lightboost (I have GTX 780)? Or have the 140Hz LCD monitors made
Lightboost obsolete?

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
Not a gimmick, but there are a surprising number of monitors that support something similar - it's just a marketing term for a strobed backlight. If 120Hz at 1080p is good enough, I suggest taking a look at the Seiki 4K displays. As a bonus, it will do 4K for non gaming uses. There's also a project out there to upgrade a Seiki to do 4K at 60Hz (at a total price much lower than a display that will do that stock), but you'll really need a lot of GPU to do that.

Lightboost or any strobing backlight equivalent is going to be nice to have until low persistence oled monitors become mainstream. That is if the motion blur of a 120hz panel bothers you. I don't mind it personally, even with my "slow" ips pixels.

Back