• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RIG overheating - what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balazs

Hey guys,

My system is getting a little hot, not sure what to do..
CPU (4790k): 75-80 °C
GPU (R9 295x2): ~75°C
Mobo: Maximus VII Ranger - I don't overclock

The game often freezes on these tempreatures, but works fine if the temp is lower.

pc4.jpg

I also want to mod the case a little bit to hold the VGA better, so I can safely move the case around without having to worry. Unfortunately that would also block some airflow. What should i do?

Attachments

• pc3.jpg
    pc3.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 541
Chances are that you just need some better fans.
Do you happen to have the model numbers for any of those fans?

Dump the Intel stock , better wire management could also help a bit.

Agree with ATM, Better fans make for better airflow

Thanks for the reply guys.
There's not much space for the CPU fan but I hope I will find something small that's better than the stock.
The case is a Zalman Z5 plus with the stock Zalman vents it came with plus two xilence red 120mm fans. The top left fan is somewhat blocked by the wall, so things will get slightly better if I relocate the case.

Are the installed fans faceing the "right" direction? Would you modify it?

The case is a Zalman Z5 plus with the stock Zalman vents it came with plus two xilence red 120mm fans.

Are the installed fans faceing the "right" direction? Would you modify it?

Definitely need some decent fans. Stock Zalman fans are meh at best.
Look at getting a few of the Rosewill Hyperborea fans, they won't break the bank, they're pretty quiet, and move good air.

Yes, they're installed in the correct directions. I wouldn't change the direction of flow.

The GPU is water cooled, so putting a Delta on that radiator will improve GPU cooling as well as airflow. Another option is to swap the radiator for a bigger one, but clearances are already looking tight. Also, Intel stock coolers are known for being barely enough, so that's a good reason to upgrade.

I agree with above. You have a slew of different fans in there, who knows how much air is actually being moved around in there. Replace them with better fans, that gpu spills ALL of it's power section heat into the case, as the waterblock only covers the gpu dies themselves. Ditch the stock cpu cooler as well. If you're going to sink the money you have into that GPU, don't try cutting corners/costs. Wire management wouldn't hurt either.

The GPU is water cooled, so putting a Delta on that radiator will improve GPU cooling as well as airflow. Another option is to swap the radiator for a bigger one, but clearances are already looking tight. Also, Intel stock coolers are known for being barely enough, so that's a good reason to upgrade.

A radiator fan actually won't help if the case temperature doesn't get lowered.
Same for the heatsink, it won't help if the case temperature doesn't drop.

One Delta will easily handle that machine. It's only on the multi CPU and/or particularly large SLI setups where you might need multiple.

One Delta will easily handle that machine. It's only on the multi CPU and/or particularly large SLI setups where you might need multiple.

Yes, and one Delta that'll handle that by itself will induce bleeding of the ears.
Technically this is a Crossfire setup, just so you know. That's a 500W GPU.

The radiator is nicely positioned to take most of the GPU heat right outside. Short of replacing it with a bigger one, adding more airflow with a better fan is the way to go for improving performance. That also improves case airflow.

What I find odd is why he watercooled the GPU but stuck with the stock cooler for the CPU. Usually, those who bother watercooling the GPU also watercool the CPU. It is true, however, that watercooling really isn't worth it on a quad core. But a decent aftermarket cooler is.

The radiator is nicely positioned to take most of the GPU heat right outside. Short of replacing it with a bigger one, adding more airflow with a better fan is the way to go for improving performance. That also improves case airflow.

What I find odd is why he watercooled the GPU but stuck with the stock cooler for the CPU. Usually, those who bother watercooling the GPU also watercool the CPU. It is true, however, that watercooling really isn't worth it on a quad core. But a decent aftermarket cooler is.

Because that is a STOCK GPU. Completely. Stock.
Please learn the hardware before making suggestions.

Go look at our front page review of that GPU, the fan it uses performs perfectly fine with proper case airflow.

Loving that card :drool: You'll be in the ballpark with a slightly better CPU cooler, and then just swap out the fans with matching, higher flow case fans like what ATM mentioned, and you're golden.

As ATM said, that is the stock cooling setup for the AMD R9 295x2. The fan on the card is to cool the VRMs while the rad cools the cores. Like he said that is a 500W card (see my review on the front page). So while adding a fan on the rad would help, its not going to help (enough) of the case airflow issue. Those VRM's need cooled.

Im betting the VRM's are on fire on that card which is causing the shutdowns. The core temp isn't enough to do that and the CPU temp is fine as well.

As ATM said, that is the stock cooling setup for the AMD R9 295x2. The fan on the card is to cool the VRMs while the rad cools the cores. Like he said that is a 500W card (see my review on the front page). So while adding a fan on the rad would help, its not going to help (enough) of the case airflow issue. Those VRM's need cooled.

Im betting the VRM's are on fire on that card which is causing the shutdowns. The core temp isn't enough to do that and the CPU temp is fine as well.

That's just it. Do we know if it's the GPU or the CPU overheating that's causing the freezes? Neither quoted temp in Post #1 should pose a problem.

OP, have you tried taking the case side panel off and setting a household fan to blow into the open case? If that fixes the problem then case ventilation would seem to be the issue.

I know :).. I stated all temps were good in my passage you quoted in fact. As also stated, I would imagine the VRMs on the GPU is what is causing the issue. I reviewed that card and know that the VRMs get warm regardless of GPU core temps.

Testing with side panel off and a box fan may resolve it and is a good test for the most part. A spot fan on the back of the card could do that as well.

Back