• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please input on my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jungjung72

Registered
So, I have never built a computer before, but I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on computers. This has caused me to decide on a high-end build with respect to cost. Please help me make my build better by either decreasing cost with little loss in performance, or an increase performance with a small increase in cost. I am aiming for under $2000.

My Build:
AMD FX-9590 8-core ($330)
Radeon R9 270X 4gb GDDR5 ($240)
SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ ($180)
Ripjaws X Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($305)
ENCORE ENEWI-2XN45 Wireless N300 Adapter (wifi card) ($18)
(2) 3TB hdd ($200 total)
LG Internal 12X Blu-ray Drive ($50)
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower ($110)
Corsair RM Series™ RM1000 Fully Modular PSU ($200)

Note: I will not change the CPU or the amount of RAM. I am attempting to future-proof this thing.

Fans: Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm ($22), Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Liquid/Water CPU Cooler ($80), (2) Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm ($36 total)

If you're wanting to future proof you should be on a 4790K instead of the 9590.

The H60 is garbage and won't keep up with the 9590. Period.

No SSD for a build with this budget?

Look at an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W instead of that overpriced Corsair PSU.
Even the 750W will be massive overkill.

What 3TB drives?

Why not buy 2x 8GB RAM now and then buy two more sticks later?

Only a 270X? I hope you're not trying to max out games.
Are you gaming? What resolution?

^^^ This ^^^

Other than the case and the kit possibly there is nothing I would look at on that list.

Agree, if you are really going after that CPU you will need substantial cooling , top end 280 AIO minimum IMO

If you're wanting to future proof you should be on a 4790K instead of the 9590
Well, the amd chip runs at 5.0 Ghz. There's also an unlocked multiplier, and it's $10 cheaper than Intel chip (I'm pinching every dollar I can)

The H60 is garbage and won't keep up with the 9590.
So what fan should I get then? The info on the case said there were only 4 fan ports, and only 2 were at 120mm ports.

No SSD for a build with this budget
Well, I looked into a small (120gb) ssd to use as an OS drive, but after many hours trying to figure out how to make an os drive, I gave up and opted for a RAID 0 configured 6tb which comes cheaper. The hard drives are seagate barracudas.

Look at an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W instead of that overpriced Corsair PSU
Are you sure? The 9590 uses 220w. There is also fans to power, the optical drive, RAM, etc, etc. It just seems like I need the 1000w psu.

Only a 270X?
Well in it's defence, it runs at 178.5 Gb/sec. I don't think there is a better gpu for the price. Could you possibly lead me to a better one for a similar cost? And to answer that other question, Yes this a gaming oriented rig. The res of this chip is 2560x1600 and the screen that I selected was at 1920x1080. I plan on hd gaming.

For gaming you can get away with 8GB's of memory, 16 Gb's Max

going to need more that 270x for gaming with decently high settings

possibly look at a 4690k if you are on a tight budget

Would grab at least a 60GB SSD for OS if you can't swing a larger one

the evga will be fine

Just don't see that particular AMD CPU being a great choice

Well, the amd chip runs at 5.0 Ghz. There's also an unlocked multiplier, and it's $10 cheaper than Intel chip (I'm pinching every dollar I can)

That doesn't mean it's actually faster. Go 4790K with a Z97 Extreme6. You'll save money.

So what fan should I get then? The info on the case said there were only 4 fan ports, and only 2 were at 120mm ports.

Get a Kraken X61.

Well, I looked into a small (120gb) ssd to use as an OS drive, but after many hours trying to figure out how to make an os drive, I gave up and opted for a RAID 0 configured 6tb which comes cheaper. The hard drives are seagate barracudas.

Do you even need 6TB? RAID0 is risky because if one drive fails the array is gone.
Grab a 250GB or 500GB 840 EVO for the OS/programs/games.

Are you sure? The 9590 uses 220w. There is also fans to power, the optical drive, RAM, etc, etc. It just seems like I need the 1000w psu.

100% completely positive. Grab a GTX 970 with the money you saved by switching to the 4790K/Extreme6 combo. It'll blow that 270X out of the water.

The 270X won't max out 1080p games. Period.

Well in it's defence, it runs at 178.5 Gb/sec. I don't think there is a better gpu for the price. Could you possibly lead me to a better one for a similar cost? And to answer that other question, Yes this a gaming oriented rig. The res of this chip is 2560x1600 and the screen that I selected was at 1920x1080. I plan on hd gaming.

See above GPU recommendation for gaming.

My replies in red.

Edit: This is what I would build for your budget http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PQkKnQ

If you want to "Future Proof" AMD isn't the way to go. The FX 9xxx/8xxx is EOL and there isn't any light at the end of the tunnel. You said $2k for the build so I put this together. This will get you along a lot longer then the Fx 9590 will and the Hex core I7 will decimate the Fx 9590 in most cases. The build came to around $1800.00. Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture4.PNG

All those ideas are great, but I'm feeling like AMD is the way to go for this build. I will eventually look into a lower priced intel build, but I just feel this one is AMD. I will switch my psu, thanks for informing me. I will also look into 290x. I saw many comparisons that showed the 290x was very similar to nVidia chips in the same price range.

With the knowledge that I feel this should be an AMD build, can I get some water cooling that would work great for this build? I am looking to OC this beast.

All those ideas are great, but I'm feeling like AMD is the way to go for this build. I will eventually look into a lower priced intel build, but I just feel this one is AMD. I will switch my psu, thanks for informing me. I will also look into 290x. I saw many comparisons that showed the 290x was very similar to nVidia chips in the same price range.

With the knowledge that I feel this should be an AMD build, can I get some water cooling that would work great for this build? I am looking to OC this beast.

What, exactly, makes you feel like "AMD is the way to go" because it sounds like you're gaming on this and not much else.

I wouldn't look at a 290X over a 970 at all. The 290X will pull almost double the power of the 970 for roughly the same end result.

The Kraken X61 is water cooling, unless you mean full custom.
Full custom takes lots of time, careful planning, and a LOT of money.

The 9590 is already OC'd and you honestly won't get much (if any) more out of it.

Unless you're in some very specific applications the 4790K will win out every time. Especially in gaming.

What, exactly, makes you feel like "AMD is the way to go" because it sounds like you're gaming on this and not much else.
The 9590 is already OC'd and you honestly won't get much (if any) more out of it.
I agree with Atmin and if you see in my sig I run a overclocked Fx 8350. I absolutely love my 8350 it's a great chip, the 9590 is just an overclocked 8350. That said I doubt highly you'll be able to run the 9590 at anything over 5.0 for a daily Oc unless you have a monster custom loop. I can run mine at 5.1 but the voltage required and the heat it puts out at those speeds is ridiculous, so I settled at 4.7.

That said even at 5.0 if you OC a 5820k or a 4970k to around 4.0 it will wipe the floor with the Fx 9590, especially in gaming. You will also not need a custom H2O loop to do so. If you went with a 4790k you do not have to spend the money you would on a motherboard, like you will for the Fx 9590. There are 3 motherboards I would attempt to run a Fx 9590 on and they are the Asus Sabertooth, Crosshair V Formula and Asrock Extreme 9. All of which will cost you $170.00+. You will likely be able to run the memory at higher speeds on the Intel setup as well. If you're dead set on going with the AMD setup you are better off saving money and going with an Fx 8350 or 8370 and overclocking it. A 8xxx chip at say 4.8 Mhz on all 8 cores is going to be the exact same chip speed wise as a Fx 9590 @ 4.8 on all 8.

So all of you have convinced me to go with intel. I like AMD- based systems, but I know the reliability of intel. I need some help though. A chip that has a close processing speed to 9590 and a mobo that still uses ddr3 would be helpful.

The build that Atmin put up in post #6 is perfect and the 4970k will run circles around the Fx 9590 in most cases. Even with the Fx at a 1000 Mhz higher clock speed.
This is a screen shot of the build Atmin posted.
Capture2.PNG

The 9590 is a stupid product from a company struggling to keep up with Intel in the high performance segment, and failing miserably at it. Case in point- at the same clock speed, a 6 core Phenom II defeats a 6 core Bulldozer CPU and in some cases edges out a 6 core Piledriver CPU. That's pretty darn sad.

9590 is an overclocked 8320. That's all it is. They cherry picked an 8320/50 that could operate at such a high clock speed reliably at an acceptable voltage, and they jacked the price over 300%. That's it. Odds are, if you got a decent 8320/50, you could replicate a 9590 yourself for a heck of a lot less coin. Even if you got that 8320 to within 400-500Mhz of the 9590, how many frames per second would you lose in gaming vs the 9590? 1? 1/2 of 1? Max? If that? It's not worth it.

Intel's 4790K is an infinitely superior CPU in a number of ways. It runs cooler, has vastly superior IPC (instructions per clock) and has more instruction sets, as well as the ability to reliably address larger amounts of high speed memory due to a better memory controller.

Choosing a number of mechanical hard drives vs choosing an SSD and 1 or 2 mechanical hard drives is a very bad move. You researched how to create an OS drive and couldn't figure it out so you gave up on the idea? and you're stuck on that? Nonsense, my friend. That's what forums are for. Creating an OS drive is as easy as inserting the Windows DVD (or the USB drive you have with the Windows installation on it) and selecting your SSD as the OS drive. It takes 3 seconds. An SSD is about 5X faster in large file reads/writes, and has MUCH faster seek times (almost too fast to measure) vs HDD. Doesn't suffer loss of performance due to the part of the platter you are writing to, fragmentation, etc. Consumes less power, is shock resistant, is less prone to failure, etc etc. There is no good reason NOT to include an SSD if your budget is over $900 US.

The GPU is another bad choice. Why a 270X? Did you know that for about the same price you can get a 3GB 280X? A much better card. You won't miss the extra GB of RAM and tacking 4GB on a card as paltry as the 270X in the first place is pretty pointless.

You do need a beefy powersupply for a system running the 9590 (which is again, a ridiculous purchase), but you don't need a 1000W unit. If you go Intel you can get a 550-600W PSU and be very happy with it.

What you said about the GPU "It runs at 178 GB/sec" and "the res of this chip is 2560X1600", both :confused:. You can run all sorts of different resolutions off that GPU, including resolutions larger than that across multiple screens, and the 178GB/sec is the memory bandwidth. It has little to do with how powerful or not powerful the GPU is. There are GPUs with 256-bit memory bus that defeat GPUs with 512-bit memory bus in various scenarios.

I was glad to read just now that you plan to build Intel and listen to what people here are suggesting to you. Smart move. I hadn't noticed that before I wrote this post, so my heated comments may not have been necessary, but I'll leave them up as they may serve as a warning to others not to have preconceptions that may hurt them in the long run.

I think the build that was suggested with the 4790K and the GTX 970 will be very good for you. I don't like the case, but cases are about personal choice. If you have the coin, I think the Corsair 760T is difficult to beat for looks. It's more costly, but is a beautiful case. You can also go with a $50 to save some money if you prefer. There are many attractive cases that will fit a 240mm closed loop liquid cooler and a large graphics card.

Also, you should know that you have the option to go very small with Intel. You can get ALL the same parts and ALL the power into something that you can fit in a small backpack. Check out the following:

Corsair 250D
EVGA Hadron Air

Both these cases will accomodate 16GB RAM, a 4790K (overclocked), and a GTX 970. The boards that fit these cases are called ITX, and they are adorably small, while packing in all the features of many larger boards.

With the Hadron you are limited to a small tower air cooler while the 250D will take a 240mm liquid cooler like the H100i. Check them out. Small form factor has many advantages. The main ones are that it takes up less space in your house, and that you can pick it up under one arm and take it with you to a friend's house, to a LAN party, on vacation, etc. If you only want a single video card and you're happy with a 4790K, there's no reason not to go tiny. It's very "in" right now.

Last edited:
WOW!! You guys weren't kidding around! I managed to make add-ons without changing much in price!
My new build is as such:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Radeon R9 270X
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
Wireless N300 Adapter
Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2)
Corsair Force 2.5" 120GB SSD
LG Internal 12X Blu-ray Drive
NZXT Phantom 530
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
This all comes to $1918

WOW!! You guys weren't kidding around! I managed to make add-ons without changing much in price!
My new build is as such:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Radeon R9 290X
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2X4GB)
Wireless N300 Adapter
Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2)
Samsung 840 EVO/Crucial M550 2.5" 120GB SSD
LG Internal 12X Blu-ray Drive
NZXT Phantom 530
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W <Overkill, but go for it if you want to
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
This all comes to $1918

Seriously, go with 8GB of RAM. Gaming barely uses more than 4GB. It doesn't sound like this PC will be used for anything other than gaming. I'm building a MUCH more expensive computer than this in a few months and it will only have 16GB of RAM, because I am a gamer, and I realize even 16GB is utter overkill for my needs. I just need 4 sticks since I will be using the X99 platform.

Corsair SSDs aren't as reliable out of the box as Samsung. They have a higher return rate.

With the money saved by going to 8GB of RAM from 32 I switched you to an R9 290X GPU. This is much more powerful than the 270X. Again, this is a gaming computer. Anything over 8GB of RAM= NO DIFFERENCE. A much better GPU on the other hand will make a BIG difference. Don't waste your money or mis-direct your funds. Not a good idea.

As far as the case goes, I would really urge you to look at a Corsair case. The interior of Corsair cases are the best laid out, in my opinion, and are very easy to work with.

I realize even 16GB is utter overkill for my needs.
I know my choice in ram is overkill, but I want this thing to be used for the next 10+ years without doing much replacing. I also know the old cliche of "more ram=faster computer," but in many cases this can be true. I'm not saying it will be true for this build, but 12 years down the road, I won't feel a slowed down computer. 32GB will last a long time, possibly into the ram gen after ddr4. That is why I chose this. (Also, I plan to go into physics as a career, so many heavy- duty programs will be used, including 3d design.)

I also know the old cliche of "more ram=faster computer," but in many cases this can be true. I'm not saying it will be true for this build, but 12 years down the road, I won't feel a slowed down computer.
It's only Faster if you're using 85% of the available ram. It's your rig so you have to build it to what you want.

That is why I chose this. (Also, I plan to go into physics as a career, so many heavy- duty programs will be used, including 3d design.)
If this is also a goal you may as well get a more powerful Gpu.

Is this a good build?

I wanted to see what others thought about my build, so I posted a thread in General Hardware. Every person that came to my thread said I should improve it with intel, so now I don't know. My original plan was this:
AMD FX-9590 8-core ($330)
Radeon R9 270X 4gb GDDR5 ($240)
SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ ($180)
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($305)
ENCORE Wireless N300 Adapter (wifi card) ($18)
(2) 3TB hdd ($200 total)
LG Internal 12X Blu-ray Drive ($50)
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower ($110)
Corsair RM Series™ RM1000 Fully Modular PSU ($200)

Fans: Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm ($22), Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Liquid/Water CPU Cooler ($80), (2) Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm ($36 total)

What I see here:

1. overkill in the ram department (16GB is fine).
2. Potential overkill in the processor department
3. and if you are a gamer, lacking in the GPU area.
4. 1KW PSU? Are you planning on getting two GPUs and overclocking them and the CPU? Otherwise, a 650W PSU is PLENTY for this build including overclocking that power hungry and hot CPU
5. Speaking of hot CPU.. .H60 wont be enough if you plan on overclocking much.
6. No SSD with this budget? BLASPHEMY!

From a moderator's standpoint. You have a thread in GH, did not like what they said there about the rig, so then created a duplicate in the AMD section to validate the rig is good? One thread please...It will prevent duplicate responses like exactly what I already said above...I am merging the threads.

That said, build whatever you want, intel or AMD. I also happen to agree with the Intel builds in your other thread versus this, but BOTH rigs will be perfectly fine.

Back